Home U.S. Coin Forum

Counting Barber dimes....and slowly going blind

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2020 12:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Wish me luck,
Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

That's a lot of Barbers, they all seem to be the workhorse coins of that Century, they have seen a lot of commerce and have changed hands many times.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's so cool!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

OMG...you'll need a haircut after all those Barbers

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorting by date? It would be interesting to weigh each one, find the heaviest one!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

And a die break or clash or strike thru...the hunt continues. Looks like my mind of exercise. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're gonna need a couple more tubes... :p

• rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B : Where did you get these?

If I came across these, I would see how close to a complete set I could form from this small hoard. (Sure beats spending time on a jigsaw puzzle.)

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spotted a few D mint marks, but no S. :#

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’ll never say “not one thin dime”. So fun to see a whole stash of these. B)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your scale probably has a 'count' mode ??
    Would be a lot easier on the eyes and fingers to count by weight.
    Unless you are looking at each date, then that's another story :)
    Good Luck

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... Wherever did you get such an accumulation of Barber dimes.... That is an amazing pile of dimes. Have fun... Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking photos.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let Coin Star count them. :D

• DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Longing and yearning activated...X10

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmorgan - I picked up two large bags of dimes at two different Long Beach Coin Shows in the late 90s. Both really nice bags...nice material. As a Barber nut, I just had to have them. After all these years I decided to pull them out. I have no idea how many coins are in the pile. I plan on counting them at a minimum, but I'm also pondering buying a Wayte Raymond album and plugging holes as I go, with the nicest example of each date. At first glance last night, there seems to be a pretty wide variety of dates/mint marks. It would be interesting to see how many slots I can fill.

Maybe there's a VG 1894-S in this pile? Maybe two? :D

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

That reminds me of one of my coin shop purchases as a kid - a heavily worn 1909-O dime. But the New Orleans mintmark was magic to me!

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like fun!

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is most common date is 1911.
    Most common 1800s date is 1897.

Most common mintmark dates are 12-S, 07-D, 06-O. Just for fun!

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B

I feel your pain!

A number of years ago, a friend of my said she had stored up a bunch of silver dimes, and knowing that I knew things about coins, she asked me to help her pull out rare dates. She had them at what had been a bank, but was privately owned and accessible 24 hours each day. I met her at her house and she drove to the vault. We get there, and get checked in, and then she opened her box in the vault, and we went into a private room to look at the coins.

She had 4 bags of coins, with each one being $1,000 face value (purchased in 1950's by her mom). They were all Mercury dimes. Think about that! That's 40,000 Mercury dimes!!! Talk about going blind! I had brought tubes for the ones that seemed to be nice mint state coins, but we ran out of the tubes after sorting the coins for 4 hours straight!!

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not living far from you, I'd almost volunteer to help (for the coolness factor) but I'm kind of afraid I'd go blind as well...I'm not young myself and those are...well...they are BARBER DIMES! :smiley:

Enjoy!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I'd much rather be looking at those Barber Dimes than going through endless stacks of Wheat Cents, hoping to find anything worth more than 50 cents (never did, almost all from the 40s, 50s, and P mint coins from the late 20s and 1930s).

Suggest keeping track of them as you are doing. Maybe spend an hour a day. In addition to the Wayte Raymond album idea, set aside the better dates, even the ones that don't rate being placed in the album.

And it could be worse. You could be looking at 100 Type II SLQs in Unc., ascertaining which of them have a completely struck full head, which have a well struck full head, and which have a just made it, or not quite full head which are designated as such anyway.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

She had 4 bags of coins, with each one being $1,000 face value (purchased in 1950's by her mom). They were all Mercury dimes.

And nary a Barber to be found...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

She had 4 bags of coins, with each one being $1,000 face value (purchased in 1950's by her mom). They were all Mercury dimes.

And nary a Barber to be found...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador1 said:

And it could be worse. You could be looking at 100 Type II SLQs in Unc., ascertaining which of them have a completely struck full head, which have a well struck full head, and which have a just made it, or not quite full head which are designated as such anyway.

Nah...these are BARBER coins....not much could we worse....well, maybe Liberty nickels.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive got lots of holes in my low end Barber dime album if you need someplace to unload a few! ;)

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    Not living far from you, I'd almost volunteer to help (for the coolness factor) but I'm kind of afraid I'd go blind as well...I'm not young myself and those are...well...they are BARBER DIMES! :smiley:

Enjoy!

Well, there are worse ways to go blind. Having to search a pile of coins like that is still a fun way to enjoy the hobby.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to got thru them, I hoard Barbers

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file