Home U.S. Coin Forum

Proof Buffalo Nickels

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 15, 2020 6:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Though not in my core collecting area, I have had a proof buffalo nickel on my "to-buy" list for a while. More specifically, a 1937 brilliant proof. They are not particularly hard to find, but the look can vary quite a bit. (White/toned/etc)

One popped up on a search last night that met my criteria and I pulled the trigger, maybe a little too quickly. :D

I'm a little curious why these don't seem to be more popular. It's an iconic design with what I assume is a large collector base. Low mintage for every proof. Available in high grades for reasonable prices. Seems like a winner to me.

Let's see some nice proof buffalos! Trueviews were made to show these off.

I usually don't post until I have a coin in hand but this is my newp, should have it sometime this week:

I prefer this silvery white look, but lots of stunning colorful buffs out there, would love to see some posted.

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola You picked a beautiful coin! I don’t own a proof version and agree with you on the points you made. If the coin looks like the TV, you have a winner.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the strong strikes from the proof buffs posted. I've seen other proofs for sale with less strikes so I'm holding out on one like those posted. A proof buffalo with a strong strike and watery mirrors is a thing of beauty!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought 4 and sold 2 in the last year. They are so cheap now, they are hard to resist.

It's always been my favorite US coin

• Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

beautiful

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinjunkie thats an awesome buff. Blue/purple hues always get my attention.

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice folks. Always have a look when I see them offered. I see some in here that look great.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are fantastic. I’m going to put one on my list of coins I need. I’ve thought about a ‘42 proof set. Maybe I should amend it to ‘37.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin all I like

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    This came from Mark Feld many years ago.

Lovely pics👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • StellaStella Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭

Some very nice proofs here! I really like the 1937 Brilliant Proofs as well. They show off the Buffalo Nickel design so well.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    Eagleguy I checked out your registry set - very nice! I bet some of the trueviews would be amazing if you sent them in.

Fiftysevener the cam pieces are out of my price range for sure, but look amazing!

In the spirit of adding more pictures, I'll share one that I found but did not purchase. I almost caved to color when I saw this one for sale. I have no affiliation with the seller, jjteaparty, looks like it is still available.

As far as toners go this one is mild. If it was light blue instead of peach I would have bit. But it is mostly free of the small specks that tend to be on most of these proofs including the one I purchased. Really nice coin.

Who else has pics?

I don't care about toning. The exceptionally clear and reflective fields are the thing about the coin to me.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I was searching for a proof Buff for my collection. Somehow I got sidetracked and completely forgot until I saw the OP coin.... WOW!!! Now I guess I have to get back to it..... I love Buffs anyway, so have to add a proof. Stay tuned... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Black.DiamondBlack.Diamond Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

A bunch of nice buffs here. I don't have a proof buff yet. I need to fix that soon.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color on your coin looks to be outstanding, Cameonut!

• Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

beautiful buffalo nickels

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer business strikes over proof, but I must say, proof Buffalos are truly amazing. Great pickup!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭

The big issue with proof buffalo nickels is that they're relatively expensive compared to type examples of other early proofs.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!
    I'm still looking for a '36 type 2 for my set.

Collector, occasional seller

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont like business buffs that much but LOVE proofs. I picked up a near PL one last year but still have a proof on the wantlist

edited August 18, 2020 1:57PM

Any buffalo nickel thread is a good thread.
    Great thread🤪

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is makin me drool

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looking at proof buffs this AM.
    Something in the air? ;)

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

This looks soooo good. I am legit looking for some right now but their out of my limited (im 16) price range.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've only ever owned one proof buff, a matte proof type 1 that I bought raw as a "Gem BU" that later graded PR66. I sold that one last year.

The matte proofs don't excite me much, the satin and brilliant proofs are one I'd love to find a nice colorful example someday.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a very nice cherrypick, Jeremy! I've cherried a few matte and satin proofs myself and actually cherried a 1937 brilliant proof several years ago.

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2020 9:35AM

WS you killed the thread. Nobody has anything better to add after seeing your coins! Nice proof buffs - the '36 looks amazing.

One thing I like about these that is not apparent in pictures is that the fields have some movement / texture to them, not just a flat dish. So the fields look watery rippling in the light, a neat effect.

I think you can see this effect on the reverse of the '36 above, great photo.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking proof buff @Pedzola

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

@clarkbar04 said:
    I've only ever owned one proof buff, a matte proof type 1 that I bought raw as a "Gem BU" that later graded PR66. I sold that one last year.

The matte proofs don't excite me much, the satin and brilliant proofs are one I'd love to find a nice colorful example someday.

I remember that proof you bought raw for like 85 bucks or some ridiculous low price. Yes it was a monster struck matte proof listed as a gem BU. WOW what a score👍
    You da man 👨

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

I agree about the matte proofs. I had a 1913 type two in PR64, I sold it recently to fund other things.

Collector, occasional seller

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1936 and 1937 issues are great coins to look for as they are available in sufficient quantity
    to be affordable to the average collector.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file