Home Precious Metals
Options

It's Friday, it's silver: Yet another addition of that Mid-century Mexican silversmith

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2020 10:30AM in Precious Metals

A "bolo" tie, consisting of a braided leather cord, sterling silver metal tips, and the sterling silver slide of a bull's head inlaid with turquoise.

Bolo ties take the place of a necktie in semi-formal wear, especially in the southwest. This piece exhibits a black and white woven leather cord, which is somewhat rare (most are simple black leather) though seen a little more often in Mexican bolos than those made by American Indian jewelers.

And I kind of think this will be the last addition for a while. For one, this silversmith's pieces are somewhat difficult to find. But also because I don't really want duplicate pieces. So unless I find another type of jewelry by this smith, or find better representative examples of the pieces I already have, I'm kind of in a holding pattern.

Believe it or not, I may acquire some silver bullion in the next couple of days. I'll post that when and if it happens :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments