Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barbara Bush 2020 Gold Proof Coin to be issued

US Mint is releasing this on August 20th. https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/first-spouse-gold-coins/barbara-bush

Not sure of the Price but based on other 1/2 ounce coins it may be about $1300. Worth it?

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the 2,000 mintage a low for a First Souse gold Commemorative?
    HHL: 1

I like the portrait of Mrs. Bush.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 6:23PM

I agree GB good portrait. Sadly, where most of the attractive obverse spouse coins fail is in the trite reverse “design”.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for it.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a good portrait. The First Spouses, though, have not done much better than bullion from the outset. With gold prices the way they are, and considering the Mint's penchant for tacking on massive premiums, you're likely to get buried in this one.

I wouldn't buy it, unless collecting First Spouses for their own sake is your primary goal.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    It is a good portrait. The First Spouses, though, have not done much better than bullion from the outset. With gold prices the way they are, and considering the Mint's penchant for tacking on massive premiums, you're likely to get buried in this one.

I wouldn't buy it, unless collecting First Spouses for their own sake is your primary goal.

At over $1300 on the USM website, I will stay on the sidelines with this one-especially when MS and PR 70's of other issues can still be relatively easy to locate at sub $1000 prices all in.Even though I have 'collected several of these-in stacking bullion-I don't believe there are even close to 2,000 people that actually collect these other than bullion stackers.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

The First Spouses will never become popular. No one will want to collect a very expensive series due to gold prices. People who want complete sets of gold are already going to easier to assemble sets like 2 1/2 Indians or 20th century gold type sets.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The First Spouses will never become popular”

“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no interest in this series, but I will say, the portrait is better than most. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could become a modern rarity due to the price of gold and unpopularity of the series keeping sales low. How long would the Mint keep the limited mintage available?

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Could become a modern rarity due to the price of gold and unpopularity of the series keeping sales low. How long would the Mint keep the limited mintage available?

It will be interesting to see what the keys are in the future as widespread melting on a lot of the higher mintage 'common' ones may well make the survivors the new keys.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the talk of the BB gold, no one has mentioned that Mr. Barbara Bush is getting a dollar coin I believe.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are about a dozen spouses with mintages right around 2k or under.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

I'm not a big fan of the coin nor portrait so I won't be a buyer. I personally don't think it would be worth the premium either! Only way I would buy it is at or below spot :#

🇺🇸 Harlequin Numismatic
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pamphlet looks excellent as does the obverse. Well done.
    Still a buyer only at spot. Bullion.
    Only Numismatic till another low mintage, high premium commemorative surfaces.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin World:

Nearly half of the maximum 3,000 Proof 2020-W Barbara Bush gold $10 coins in the First Spouse program were sold within the first three days of sales by the United States Mint.

The Mint’s Aug. 23 sales report indicates 1,406 of the Proof half-ounce .9999 fine gold coins were sold. Sales began Aug. 20 at $1,360 per coin.

Sales for the Uncirculated version, limited to an issue of 2,000 coins, priced at $1,340 each, reached 946 coins, according to the Aug. 23 sales report.

Neither the Proof nor Uncirculated 2020-W Barbara Bush gold $10 coin option has any household order limit.

The Barbara Bush gold coins are the first in the First Spouse series to be issued since the Nancy Reagan coins in 2016.

continued in link............

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/barbara-bush-first-spouse-sales-approach-50-percent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file