Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar

I want to just preface this with I know 0 about any coin. I was recently given a 64 Kennedy Half Dollar and was told it was worthless. I did some reading and realized that depending on the coin, some of these can be pretty valuable depending on the hair variation and other factors. I’m looking for any guidance or help with anyone who knows about these. I tried to take some decent pictures so I hope they help. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

At worst any JFK half is worth 50 cents, but yours is 90% silver and worth nearly 20 times face value.

There is a variety as you mentioned, but not very likely that you will run into one loose.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the variety aspect. $$
    Welcome aboard buddy! Kennedys are very popular here, wise choice. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

What “choice”? It was given to him.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're right, I was wrong saying such a foolish thing!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@joeykoins said:

What “choice”? It was given to him.

Perhaps the OP was given a variety of coins and he chose to post this one as an introductory thread?
    In that case, Welcome aboard!

peacockcoins

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be my eyes or your picture but you may have a DDO from what I see in TRUST, not much of a premium if it is but a Variety person may like it...........then again it's probably my eyes ??

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's 90% silver.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Kennedy! I remember when I was a kid, and these were first issued. They were so popular, and widely hoarded, it was almost impossible to get one. And even if I had the chance to get one, I couldn't have afforded the 50 cents to pay for it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morse1423 .... Welcome aboard.....Your coin is not 'worthless', as mentioned above, it is silver, so worth way more than fifty cents... Not a high grade coin though. Better focused pictures would help...but the cheek has a hit, as does the ear and some minor rim damage both sides. Cheers, RickO

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. Silver coins are eagerly sought nowadays. You won't get rich from it, but as mentioned certainly worth the $9 currently just from the silver value.

BTW... good that you did some research and didn't just take someones word that it had no value....

----- kj
  • mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Welcome OP! Nice coin and hopefully it gets you started collecting other nice ones too. As people already said, the "silver" looking coins from 1964 and before (other than nickels) were made with 90% silver so even if the coin isn't worth much as a collectable item it's worth about $10 just so someone can melt it down for the silver. Coins minted after 1964 weren't made of silver anymore (I know a few were 40% but still!), so you're lucky that you got a real silver one!

P.S. what's the white cloth you have it laying on? If that was used to clean off your coin, please don't do that any more. For collectable coins they lose a lot of value when you clean or rub them, even if they look all gross and cruddy, because having the original surface is much more valuable than looking bright and shiny :)

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• I never thought I would get so many responses. Thanks to everyone who has commented. I’ve learned a lot and will definitely be looking at some other coins I have a little closer. Thanks for the the advice and suggestions. Nice new hobby. Pretty cool stuff.

• ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Who gave it to you? Friend? Family member?

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

WOw that's quite a haul! I count 17 walkers! Were all of those halves from one trip to the bank? Pretty great pay day for you if you bought them at face B)

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you just gave it a nice cleaning. Don't ever do that again! :D the value drops like a rock with every swipe.
    This one doesn't matter much but if it were a high grade (any coin) it would no longer be.

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

keep it, and it is a worn coin so do whatever you want as far as cleaning or carrying it around.

I used to carry one, I also carry one ounce round sometimes.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@okiegirl.... WOW!!! That is amazing....what a haul. Congratulations ...Cheers, RickO

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

the premium on physical silver is 3X face plus melt, premium on silver eagles is 9 dollars

• okiegirlokiegirl Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

@mothra454 said:
    WOw that's quite a haul! I count 17 walkers! Were all of those halves from one trip to the bank? Pretty great pay day for you if you bought them at face B)

2 different banks. Bought about $700 worth of halves from their change machines. 17 walkers 3 1964s 16 40%ers 1 bicentennial silver. All at face value. 😀

• okiegirlokiegirl Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Last year I bought a box of dimes $250 and found 23 silver 2 of which were Mercurys. Also a few stores in my area call me if they get something different in the cash register. One day I got a call and went to pick up a silver proof Ike for face valve.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@okiegirl said:

@mothra454 said:

2 different banks. Bought about $700 worth of halves from their change machines. 17 walkers 3 1964s 16 40%ers 1 bicentennial silver. All at face value. 😀

Nice haul.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file