KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

I know that 90% silver is .715 melt value
What is sterling silver melt value
Thanks
Frank D

Comments

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt value of United States “constitutional” silver 90% coins are calculated at .715oz of pure silver per $1 face value. Silver dollars are a bit more at .77oz per.

Sterling silver is rated at .925 pure so you can use that as an indicator, however as most would agree, most will not pay the full 92.5% x spot for sterling, and usually it requires a discount to move.

I’m sure there are some coin shoppes / dealers that will chime in on what they are paying currently.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

and you can't use 92.5% of weight for knives

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I’m talking about Franklin mint type of sterling coins
    Thanks
    Frank D

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt value for sterling is spot x .925 and that’s the melt price per OZT.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spot x .925 but good luck finding anyone willing to pay that, especially a dealer. They will be anywhere from Spot x 0.5 to spot 0.8 depending on their conscious or I should say lack there of. Good luck!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KISHU1 said:
    I’m talking about Franklin mint type of sterling coins
    Thanks
    Frank D

Good luck in getting a decent price for your F.M. coins. You might luck out on eBay.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep ... good luck!

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2020 10:19AM

Franklin Mint sterling silver medals are 'no respect' silver to many....

Same way with silver warnickels and 40% silver coins. However, if you look on ebay... they are all very much in demand, and there are those who like to collect the medals. As far as I am concerned, some of the old Franklin Mint medals are more attractive than some of the modern Mint issues.....

But yes... when it comes time to sell, you very likely will have to sell at a discount.

----- kj
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally if Sterling is in good shape. Use it! I use silver utensils daily for their anti viral properties. I wouldalso keep the medals as is unless damaged. That's just one mid century modern Man's opinion.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Thanks to all I was at a estate sale and they had FMint medals @ $33 oz and a 150 oz bicentennial bowl for $5,300. Both way over priced
    Thanks again
    Frank D

• Options

If you were to sell it to a lcs your going to have a discount to move them. On the high end you would get 80% of the value, on the low end 50% of value, depends on the shop. Alternatively you can see if you can ship them into a smelter directly.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2020 8:13PM

I sold sterling silver flatware today for $1,900. Silver value was $1,940. Jeweler bought it, not an auction and not a coin shop.
    71 ounces pure.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2020 1:25AM

@MsMorrisine said:
    and you can't use 92.5% of weight for knives

I want a silver knife. Not the butter on toast kind. The "these grooves are so blood flows easier, right?" fixed blades. I am a large, fit and strong man and the wild cats out here in the PNW scare the heck out of me. They're definitely bigger than Colorado or MN. I was stalked last year but that was my own stupid fault. I wasnt paying attention to daylight and was in a coastal cliff type area. They jump down from above and snap your neck with their mouth.

You gotta try not to let this stuff freak you out or you'll never go outside again. But that unmistakable quiet and the way their paws suck the sound in... the bugs and birds and bats stop. You tell yourself you're just freaking out, man, and two sets of eyes manifest on either side of you. You hope that they just showed up but you know they've been on you for hours.

The coyotes out here are bad too. They're small so they can dance through the short dune grass.. but they are vicious. They'll just bulldoze over you though. Numbers and all that. The elk and moose are surprisingly friendly.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2