Home Metal Detecting

Thank you heavy rain!

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a 3.5 inch rain event the other day so I decided to go back to my oyster cove forest for another dig. As I was setting up near some old dug spots, I found two pretty nice 19mm old rubber buttons that the rain washed off from the disturbed soil. So, IRCCo. stands for India Rubber Comb Company. This patent was owned by Charles Goodyear until around 1870. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for the button picks. Now I must research them :)

This is the first of 5 pages studying Hard Rubber buttons generally made between 1853 and 1872 carrying the Goodyear Patent (on buttons as Goodyear's P=T 1851). The vulcanization of rubber was discovered in 1839 by Charles Goodyear. Information regarding patent date start and expiration is shown a few paragraphs below.

The most common back mark found on hard rubber buttons (and other objects) is from the Novelty Rubber Co. which usually shows as "N.R. Co." abbreviated on buttons. N.R. Co. was founded 1853, incorporated 1855 and produced until 1886. Other marks found on hard rubber buttons and objects are: India Rubber Comb Co. (IRC Co.) and American Hard Rubber Co. (AHR Co.) and there may be others including "India Rubber". The "India Rubber" mark does not have the Goodyear patent information and may have been made in England or France or could be considered a "pirated" item lacking the required patent info. I know of one button style with this back mark, a cameo profile, one can assume this is an antique button due to the styling, it is not thought to have been made by any of the large companies noted above.

more info here: http://vintagebuttons.net/rubber.html

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other part of the Charles Goodyear story is that he relentlessly litigated his patent which caused him to die penniless. The use of 1851 Goodyear was the attempt to avoid the wrath of Charles G. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting finds Roy, and that rain was a 'deluge'... and thanks for the history @1630Boston ... Cheers, RickO

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are out there in the hunt! Post your finds,

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting post, thanks for the history lesson !!! 👍

Timbuk3
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would be the value on such a find?