Home U.S. Coin Forum

How do I know how much to declare when submitting to PCGS if I am brand new to coin collecting?

I found a few coins among my dad's things after her passed. These coins look great to me and I think they could be graded very high but I am new at this and really not sure how to declare a value. Any advice? Thanks! Laurie

Best Answers

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SillyRbt18 said:
    I found a few coins among my dad's things after her passed. These coins look great to me and I think they could be graded very high but I am new at this and really not sure how to declare a value. Any advice? Thanks! Laurie

Getting coins slabbed is not cheap and in many cases it isn't worth the cost. Show us a few pics and we can let you know if it's worth it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Answers

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

I'd recommend posting a few coins, since you could be easily thinking of coins that are common date, or just modern, or fake.

• Perry, Here is a pic of one coin..

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my series but front side image looks cleaned and it could be the pic but what is the purple stuff near the 12 o’clock position

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• It is in a Saflip and the purple is as reflection from my phone case.

Nice coin. It's worth the cost of getting it slabbed.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you get a mid level membership with our host here it will come with some vouchers you can use to send in your dads coins. Wish you all the best with your submission may the coin gods be in your favor!

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• @Mgarmy @TomB @PerryHall @CalifornianKing @coinbuf Thank you so much! Can I run one more by you for advice? This one is a 1925-D but the D is hard to see in the pic.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1925-D is known as an Indian quarter eagle. This is a great series that I adore very much. The 1925-D is a fairly generic coin for the series and its value is heavily dependent upon the spot price of gold. The D mintmark appears weak because it is the only part of the coin that is raised, the rest of the design is incuse (lower than the surrounding field).

This coin is moderately circulated. It would not need to be certified if sold to most folks, but for proving authenticity it would definitely help. It does not appear to be cleaned and is worth around $300 at this time.

By the way, do not clean, wipe, rinse, wash or abuse your coins in any way as this will likely greatly diminish both their value and liquidity.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 4:39PM

Laurie, I find it interesting that you know what a Saflip is, which is indicative of some knowledge of numismatic supplies at least. Images can be deceptive, I would take them to a trusted local coin dealer or coin club and ask for their in-hand opinion.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SillyRbt18 said:

are any of the coins sentimental to you? if it turns out yes, then certifying them despite condition/value will be an option but not a lot of coins as the cost will go up a lot.

like TomB says,
    By the way, do not clean, wipe, rinse, wash or abuse your coins in any way as this will likely greatly diminish both their value and liquidity.

The best thing to do for now is let them set while you gather information. take your time and do this right and it will work out much more enjoyably and probably financially.

sending coins out for certification takes a bit of practice/research for the first time.

your 1853 50c if XF grade or details, no. if AU grade/details, probably yes but not by itself.
    1925 d $2.5 indian maybe XF, no. If AU, no.

pretty good pic for first time out. try setting them on a table under a lamp or strong overhead light if you post more coins. perhaps even multiple coins per pic.

welcome to the forum!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• @LanceNewmanOCC These coins are sentimental to me. My dad's family held onto them a long time. My dad just passed last year. He and I were very close. I would like to know the value of the coins and protect them but I am scared to send them out through the mail. I'm hoping to get advice here on whether or not it's worth it. Thank you for helping me out! Laurie

• @oih82w8 I have been reading up on coins. I learned about saflips while reading through directions on how to submit to PCGS. I also watched a YouTube video on how to submit. Thank for your help!

@SillyRbt18 said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC These coins are sentimental to me. My dad's family held onto them a long time. My dad just passed last year. He and I were very close. I would like to know the value of the coins and protect them but I am scared to send them out through the mail. I'm hoping to get advice here on whether or not it's worth it. Thank you for helping me out! Laurie

you're welcome. a lot of people here with decades of experience, way more than i.

don't know what else you have but if you have some real value there, they are probably better off at a bank SDB. $50-60 a year vs home invasion is no debate. If you do, make sure you get some advice for all the coins that they don't have pvc or other issues as they will sit and lose value due to damage. look for light green haze and/or green blobs.

i know you said saflips but doesn't mean they weren't improperly stored previously. if you have any coin shops around, you may want to pick up a coin box or some 2x2 flips (.10c each) so they don't just rattle around and sa plastic flips for long-term storage are probably not a good idea so the cheeks and/or other high areas don't continually get rubbed.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• @TomB this coin was the one that interested me the most. I have never seen or even heard of one like it. It was in a clear protector with three staples around it. It appears to have never been opened. Looks like my dad just stashed it away as soon as he got it. Thanks for all of the information! Laurie

• @LanceNewmanOCC There are a lot of coins that my dad held onto. I did take a few to a dealer, he said the above two coins were something to hold onto but if I wanted to sell the Indian Head Gold coin her would give me $150 for it that day. I chose to hold onto it. He also said the 1853 was something to hold onto. A few others as well and many I didn't even take over to him. I have a bunch of Peace Dollars, Ike Dollars, Large One Cents, Kennedy Half Dollars, Susan B Anthony Dollars, the list goes on and on. I'm just a little overwhelmed. Laurie

@SillyRbt18 said:

I'm just a little overwhelmed. Laurie

i believe it.

i know you said there is sentimental value but if you were to sell any gold, this is probably the time frame. it is on a high run right now.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

i know you said there is sentimental value but if you were to sell any gold, this is probably the time frame. it is on a high run right now.

Except that that dealer tried to lowball her on that quarter eagle, assuming it is genuine (Laurie the quarter eagle was often counterfeited) would be worth far more than $150!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laurie, you have done all the right things by seeking out a dealer for his assessment of the coins and asking for assistance here. From your list you have some valuable coins like the gold quarter eagle, the large cents, the half dollar, and other silver coins like the Peace dollars. And you have some less valuable items in the Ikes, Kennedy's, and Susan B Anthony dollars. Keep researching and I'm sure you will have a very good idea of the overall value in no time.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@coinbuf said:

Except that that dealer tried to lowball her on that quarter eagle, assuming it is genuine (Laurie the quarter eagle was often counterfeited) would be worth far more than $150!

I noticed that. Unfortunately, not every coin dealer is honest. This dealer sized you up and determined that you weren't very knowledgeable concerning coins and thought he could make an easy score. Suggest that you avoid this dealer in the future.
    What part of the country do you live? Someone here may be able to recommend a nearby honest professional coin dealer who can sit down with you to evaluate your coins. The dealer may charge an appraisal fee but it's well worth it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SillyRbt18.... Welcome aboard.... There is excellent advice above (i.e. @PerryHall , @TomB, @LanceNewmanOCC), and this is a good place for such questions. That being said, in hand evaluation by a trusted expert will always be the best option. I understand your reluctance about sending coins in the mail, however, unless you attend a live show where our hosts are set up, it will be a necessary course. Let us know how you proceed... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file