Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1973 Pennies Questions

So, I am really new to coin collecting. I have started with the odd coins that I have run across the last few months. I pretty much just grab what interests me (and what I can afford). While I was helping a friend that is cleaning out his mother in law's house that has not been opened since around 1978, I ran across this thing. I can't find much on it, but I ended up picking it up for a dollar. I am just wondering if anyone can educate me on it some. I don't know if it helps, but I have noticed that it is magnetic, and I have never seen magnetic lucite before. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Welcome! Sorry I can't answer your question.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalicoJack10 ....Welcome aboard....That looks like a novelty decorative paperweight.... Lucite is not magnetic, so it must have something to do with the contents...perhaps fake coins.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photo lighting isn't the best,
    but they certainly look plated
    to me.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    How strong is the magnetic attraction?

One possibility is that the cents were chrome plated and then copper plated so that they looked uniform before the embedment. Chrome will attract to a magnet. J

I thought about that. But it's not weak enough to be plating. And there is one penny that is tarnished just enough to see that they are just in good shape. It was enough I could feel it with a fridge magnet, but not enough to make it stick.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 10:08AM

Welcome aboard! I think Ricko is correct. Looks like a paperweight. They were very popular back in the 70's especially for Bi-Centennial coins. Banks gave them out for promotions. Letter openers too. I have several. Gathering dust! I prefer Lucite paperweights with a scorpion inside. The little critters are quite harmless in that situation.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm voting for the plated answer. Enough plated coins perhaps to attract a magnet, ,

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

This is definitely a Lucite paperweight and there are myriad examples from the 1970s were coins were placed within these and sold. Is the Lucite clear (colorless) throughout or is there a colored base on the bottom? I ask because the paperweight appears to have a black base, but that may simply be due to the background you have it sitting on. However, if the base is black then it might have been weighted down with some metal. Regardless, it is a very cool novelty that I would have purchased for a dollar, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    Howdy and welcome.

This is definitely a Lucite paperweight and there are myriad examples from the 1970s were coins were placed within these and sold. Is the Lucite clear (colorless) throughout or is there a colored base on the bottom? I ask because the paperweight appears to have a black base, but that may simply be due to the background you have it sitting on. However, if the base is black then it might have been weighted down with some metal. Regardless, it is a very cool novelty that I would have purchased for a dollar, as well.

Thank you. That's all I was wondering. It looks great on my desk, but staring at it made me wonder. It does have a black base so that is where I will leave it. I do appreciate the help.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your handle......Calicojack!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resin use exploded in the 60's and 70's. Surf board shaper dudes were using left over resin poured into waiting molds with rocks, coins, anything. Sold at swap meets back in the day. Yours looks way more polished done by a old school artist. Chrome plated perhaps?

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file