AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

:smirk::DB):D;):oB):D:):smirk:

:D:D:D:D:D

:*o:):*;):D:o:)

:D:bawling::D:bawling::D:D:D:smiley::bawling:

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its nice to hear that some orders have found traction within the system...my regular service order has been stuck in "Encapsulation" since 7/30 and my economy order has been in "Grading" for a week.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

I hope they didn't determine the coin was a counterfeit. The Indian Head coins are the most counterfeited coins and they are the most difficult to grade.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Its nice to hear that some orders have found traction within the system...my regular service order has been stuck in "Encapsulation" since 7/30 and my economy order has been in "Grading" for a week.

I would think "Encapsulation" would mean the coins have been graded, waiting to be placed in the holder. That can't take 2 weeks! So what does "Encapsulation" men?

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

@oih82w8 said:

I would think "Encapsulation" would mean the coins have been graded, waiting to be placed in the holder. That can't take 2 weeks! So what does "Encapsulation" men?

Cynical answer: It means that graders are done looking at your coins, but other graders going through a palette of monster boxes finished first, so your coin is waiting in line behind them for encapsulation.

Performance analysis answer: It means that the grading part of the pipeline is more efficient than the encapsulation part, which is causing pipeline stalls, as a fully optimized, cost-agnostic encapsulation phase shouldn't introduce additional latency and will have resolved priority-based queuing at the entry to the grading phase.

Actual answer: It means that graders are done looking at your coins unless QA kicks them back later, and details of the process beyond "encapsulation" are not being disclosed.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens .... Those are very nice gold Indians.... a favorite of mine .... I have a 1909D $5 like yours. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@oih82w8 said:

Cynical answer: It means that graders are done looking at your coins, but other graders going through a palette of monster boxes finished first, so your coin is waiting in line behind them for encapsulation.

Performance analysis answer: It means that the grading part of the pipeline is more efficient than the encapsulation part, which is causing pipeline stalls, as a fully optimized, cost-agnostic encapsulation phase shouldn't introduce additional latency and will have resolved priority-based queuing at the entry to the grading phase.

Actual answer: It means that graders are done looking at your coins unless QA kicks them back later, and details of the process beyond "encapsulation" are not being disclosed.

Logjam- got it.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@oih82w8 said:

I agree, I once did an estimate of best case scenario for throughput on encapsulation. It would be a big bottleneck. If you assume it takes 90 seconds to gather all the pieces together, get them into position, and seal the coin (and this may be an aggressive number) then a single person’s throughput is 40 slabs max in an hour or a max of 320 slabs per day. Assume they have a consistent staff of 10 doing encapsulation and your best case is 3200 slabs/day. If there are any mistakes caught early, or even during QA, then the effective throughput is less.

Since most coins are graded in under 90s there will always be a buildup for the encapsulators.

Now this is entirely speculation but I think it is a reasonable way to see the problem without having inside information.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 8:46AM

Have had a bunch of weird stuff lately.

1.) Two submissions go into encapsulation same day, one is to me by that weekend, one doesn't finalize for two weeks.
    2.) Different submission gets stuck in encapsulation for a few weeks and suddenly I get an email about it being a problem submission and they need my authorization to charge the correct amount (Early find label on W quarters, no changes on my part and not a problem on the previous hundreds of quarters).
    3.) Right now have a submission that's been in QA for almost two weeks. No clue what the holdup is.

Good luck. Don't get excited b/c it reaches encapsulation or QA. Could get grades next day or could be a few weeks later.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

All and all it takes approx 30 days to go through the submission gauntlet. My regular service order that is in the "Encapsulation" stage was for a Variety Attribution, which is completed, and then to be reholdered. The certification number has been updated to reflect the variety, a couple weeks ago, and it is just waiting in line for ensconcement.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

I had a single large cent turn around in 4 days the week before last. On a Regular sub. I also think they're not as tight as they have been being. I like it.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are moving slow as usual because medals seem to get put on the low priority lists.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good thing.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

My slow part is building the submission.... I have 7 coins that I think are worth the trip but I'd like to send more than that at once.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I am waiting anxiously for PCGS carbonless submission forms. They offered to send me a few. It has been a couple of weeks.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

:smirk::DB):D;):oB):D:):smirk:

i don't know about anyone else but if you post grades/trueviews, i plan to comb over your pictures with the results, so please do keep us updated. thanks :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted 6 orders on 8/4, one of the order (crossover) is in ENCAPSULATION already. Once I got my orders back I will try to submit couple more orders to get the summer special.

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love gold indians, especially 1914p $2.5 as a date to collect. Hard to know from the pic but this one looks polished and cleaned.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted 6 orders on 8/4, one of the order (crossover) is in ENCAPSULATION already.

my orders are moving unusually slow right now, two of three have been stuck in "Encapsulation" for well over a week. I have come to understand that as meaning they are in the system to be graded and probably nothing more. my two-coin Economy crossover was received on 7/9 and a three-coin reholder on 8/5. I expect both might actually move from where they are next week some time.

• Options

@keets said:
    I submitted 6 orders on 8/4, one of the order (crossover) is in ENCAPSULATION already.

my orders are moving unusually slow right now, two of three have been stuck in "Encapsulation" for well over a week. I have come to understand that as meaning they are in the system to be graded and probably nothing more. my two-coin Economy crossover was received on 7/9 and a three-coin reholder on 8/5. I expect both might actually move from where they are next week some time.

I saw somewhere recently that reholders are bottom priority right now, and are actually discouraged. Not sure if this is still true.

• Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@keets said:

I saw somewhere recently that reholders are bottom priority right now, and are actually discouraged. Not sure if this is still true.

No truth to that.

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

typical reholder in the past, as recently as last month, is five days.

• Options

@BrettPCGS said:

@messydesk said:

@keets said:

No truth to that.

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe it was somewhere else.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

It is hard to understand why some order moved fast than the others. All my order were received on 8/4, one regular crossover is in encapsulation, one restoration express is in received, one regular raw is in received and three economic raw in grading. Well, I hope I can get most of them back by September 10 so I can send in more orders for the summer special (summer special ends on 9/20 I believe)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file