Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this proof?

Attached is my 1914P Lincoln cent. You will see it has a very hard strike, flat rims, and a small(er) die chip than EDS labled proof cents of the year. Any help is appreciated.

Answers

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s see the reverse.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

I’m pretty sure it’s not due to the rims not sharp enough nor does the surfaces look correct. Just my opinion from what I can see.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frontporchsittin

welcome to the forum.

i see you used natural (sun)light for the first image. trying using for the whole coin what you used for the second image as the second is pretty good. for sure, post a reverse pic, if possible.

an mpl expert can probably tell you by the ear?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe, I think.

bob :)
    Welcome!!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Lincoln but not a proof in my opinion.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not seeing any of the die markers. I agree - nice strike, but not a proof.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Sorry but after seeing the reverse pic - definitely not a proof.

Ws

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Eds only die marker I'm aware of is the chip on the 1 in the date. This has one in same location, just much smaller

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a proof and possibly cleaned at some time in the past.

All glory is fleeting.

Many more than that. Also 2 obverse dies were used and one reverse die paired with obverse Die # 1 From Flynns book:

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

It don't look like a proof to me.

• @291fifth said:

This coin shows 0 sign of any cleaning. Brilliant luster and under scope shows metal flow lines.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frontporchsittin....Welcome aboard.....Does not appear to be a proof.... However, you could submit it for a final decision....Cheers, RickO

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice looking Lincoln with a great strike, but I don't see it as a proof.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FunwithMPL can probably answer this.

I don't know if it's just the pictures, but I am seeing wierd lines on the coin which are making me think it is whizzed(or something?).
    The bottom of Abe's coat

the field in this picture

This whole reverse picture

Collector, occasional seller

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin with a good strike. Proof? I don't know.

• It's just lighting. Its never been touched I'll attach some scoped pics

I'm confused by two different reverse photos from the op. I know it's lighting and angle but one shows the detail of the strike and the other sort of makes everything fuzzy.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

Thanks for posting those. It is a nice strike but not a proof.

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I can see why you're making a case. That side rim shot showing a flat, smooth rim is interesting. There seems to be a nice rim and separation from the letters on the obv. as well. Having said that, the rev. is not struck well enough to convince me.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send it to PCGS and see what they say.

Collector, occasional seller

• Looks like a great coin worthy of submission anyways

The rims alone tells me it’s not a proof. They need to be sharp inside and out. The one the OP is showing is not even close.
    By the way, welcome to the forum. You’re at the right place.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frontporchsittin said:

@291fifth said:

This coin shows 0 sign of any cleaning. Brilliant luster and under scope shows metal flow lines.

chemical cleaning results in a pumpkin orange tint color on copper coins

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

I wouldn’t. It’s clearly not a Proof and I don’t think the value would justify the expense of grading and postage.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

I wouldn’t. It’s clearly not a Proof and I don’t think the value would justify the expense of grading and postage.

While I agree with you I am not sure I would use the word clearly when it comes to attributing any raw MPL via photos. Hell I don't always trust MPL in plastic without in hand inspection or strong return policies

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say if it's a Proof or not because these MPL's aren't an area of the Hobby I collect or study. what I can contribute is this for the OP's consideration: We see this sort of thing happen repeatedly, newcomers post here and ask for help. When knowledgeable collectors and dealers give them a straight answer supported by diagnostic proof they refuse to accept it and insist they know better. Please consider the answers you have been given by people who most probably know more than you. B)

• @keets said:
    I can't say if it's a Proof or not because these MPL's aren't an area of the Hobby I collect or study. what I can contribute is this for the OP's consideration: We see this sort of thing happen repeatedly, newcomers post here and ask for help. When knowledgeable collectors and dealers give them a straight answer supported by diagnostic proof they refuse to accept it and insist they know better. Please consider the answers you have been given by people who most probably know more than you. B)

While I agree with your position, I'd politely ask you to state where I went wrong? I dont believe at any point I insisted I know better. Thanks

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be a proof die that was retired and then used again to strike circulation coins.

The Mint has been known to do that.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file