Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1962 Silver Dime on 1.84 Planchet also struck thru, Could it be another countries planchet?

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck, dude! Keep us informed. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where'd you find it?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it’s on a rolled thin planchet

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... where did you find that dime?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Interesting.... where did you find that dime?? Cheers, RickO

in a collection I bought

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smittys....Will you be sending it in for slabbing? Might be worth it on the error market. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Smittys....Will you be sending it in for slabbing? Might be worth it on the error market. Cheers, RickO

Yes I will, submitting it at the PCGS show on the 28th in Vegas

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Philadelphia Mint did a 90% silver 10 Cents for Liberia in 1961 that was 32 grains/ 2.0735 grams and 17.0 mm. Plausible if rolled a bit thin and stuck in a hopper until 1962.

There was a Philippines copper-nickel-zinc 10 Centavos in 1962 that was 31.482 grains/ 2.04 gams and 17.9 mm, but this does look like silver. Best to do an accurate weight and specific gravity test before the coin is entombed in worthless plastic.

All of this said, I am inclined to agree with Fred that it was just rolled thin stock. The strike through is coincidental.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file