Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

“Impressionism” Toning from Philly Mint 1904

RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

United States/Philippine coins are some of the most beautiful, but quite rare. Due to weather, war and other reasons, these coins didn’t generally fair well.

Share your favorites.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is yours a proof?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Stunning! Such pretty toning

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options

Yes TomB.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2020 3:28PM

I’ve seen some of those proof pesos. They can be very nice! Sad that so many of the pesos are lower grade, dipped, or sea corroded. They deserve more attention than they get.

Here’s one of my pesos. It has more delicate color than the pic shows but clearly was dipped at some point. AU58 business strike.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... that's nice!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why these coins aren't more widely collected.
    I think they are really interesting, and even budget-minded collectors can afford the issues from the 40s.
    Added interest are that coins were struck from Denver and San Francisco during the 40s.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That peso is SO pretty!

Here's a proof half centavo that I found in a junk box for a buck. PCGS PR64 RB.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    That peso is SO pretty!

Here's a proof half centavo that I found in a junk box for a buck. PCGS PR64 RB.

Nice buy!
    Although it is lots of work going through junk boxes......
    But it pays off once in a while.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was actually in a coffee can so there wasn't too much to go thru.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2020 11:12PM

Steve (Registrycoin). Your (posted) 1904 Proof Peso is, quite possibly, the technically nicest example in the World that exists for a USPI Proof Peso specimen of any date. I remember getting the coin back from PCGS (submitted on behalf of “Justhavingfun” - RIP my dear friend) with a grade of PR68+ at a time (years ago) when PR68 barely existed as a grade, let alone PR68+. Even today, I believe there exists only (2) proof Pesos in PR68+ for the entire series as PCGS more recently awarded a beautiful 1906 proof example with that coveted grade as well. I believe your 1904 coin will, one day (if you chose to resubmit it), regrade as perhaps the very first PR69 Peso to ever receive that grade.

Congratulations on owning this amazing coin. It is arguably the nicest and most beautiful high grade proof Peso JHF was ever able to locate in his lifetime during his exhaustive search of the Philippines (and the World for that matter) spanning a roughly 25 year time period. I say “arguably”, because my son Justin owns the 1903 PR68 Peso (if someone can post the pic here from Coinfacts) that was yet another monumental find by JHF during his “hunt” for the nicest, most beautiful, proof Pesos on the planet. And, let’s not forget the 1905 PR68 Peso, as well as a few of the 1906 coins including that PR68+ example. All of these coins discovered by JHF in his endless pursuit of this coin series. And all Mother Nature’s artwork !

A final comment on mother nature’s artwork. In the Philippines, “white” coins are extremely popular. So, whenever a coin dealer located a high grade example, it was common practice to “dip” the coin to a “nice white” look for the Philippine customer. When JHF set up at his hotel to buy USPI coins, he would be delivered these “nice white” high grade USPI coins and the dealers would often tell him they were “freshly dipped just for him”.

JHF told the dealers he would start to pay them double for toned examples they brought to him undipped. And, so the dipping stopped practically overnight as the word spread that a crazy American was paying double the price to NOT buy nice white coins! JHF, single-handedly, saved many of these “works of art” from their otherwise natural fate in the Philippines of becoming “nice white coins”.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:
    This is a new coin to my collection. It is one of those coins that is hard to put down.

Lol. You're so right! Stunning dude. Exquisite as well. Thanks for sharing. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Justin’s 1903 pf68

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 11:41PM

1905 pf68

1906 pf68+

1904 pf68

1904 pf67+

• Options
    edited August 12, 2020 1:18AM

A beautiful 1903 50c pf68 purchased in the most recent Heritage auction. (Was the buyer a forum member?)
    The Philippine coins were the highlight of the auction according to the auctioneer who commented “...the Philippine coins just went nuts...”.
    I noticed most lots in the auction went by systematically every twenty to thirty seconds.
    Most Philippine lots, however, took a while just to load all the computer bids before they could go to live bidding.
    The auctioneer was joking that he may get a cup of coffee while he waited for all the bids for each Philippine lot to load into the system.
    The “Fair warning” countdown started, stopped, and restarted multiple times In many, if not most auctions, as lots took several minutes to receive all bids from the various sources.
    Prices were surprisingly strong, at least to me. In many cases, I’d bid multiples of price guide only to quickly get outbid, and then ultimately outbid by four or five times my bid.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting pics of Justin’s 1903 Peso as well as all the other amazing coins. Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Philippine coins have beautiful designs..... I so wish our U.S. coins would bring back real art....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file