Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The "All 9+" Vintage Mainstream Set

2»

Comments

• DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Nick M,

I think you probably are right. I was making a little too broad of a generalization. Of the 24,000 plus cards graded(i think that was the number), over half were in 8 but surprisingly few in 9. Still, there will be a lot more 9s coming as there is I believe still a lot of quality ungraded cards left that will be graded. I will drop my prediction there to 8.5 but raise it for 1968 to 9.25
  • This is one of the best threads I've read in a while.

Without Mr Mint's '52 Topps find, how many Hi # PSA 8's would there be? Let alone any 9's or 10's. The same for the '55 Bowman set as Marc mentioned. Do you know if all of those Paris, Tenn find cards made there way into PSA holders? I would think that there are still high grade raw sets out there from that find. Grading commons seems too new of a concept for every card to have been graded.

Which is a tougher set in all PSA 9 form, the '62 set or the '71 set?
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    TheCardKid -- Right now, the 1971 Topps set is tougher, but in a few years, the shift may change to 1962. However, if for no other reason, the 1962 Topps set was available in the Presentation Set form, making those sets, where they still exist, to be assured of many PSA 8s, 9s and 10s where the centering is strong.

It is incredible how many vintage sets are available from "finds". 1952 Topps is a good example, 1955 Bowman is a good example. Don Louscious and Charlie Merkel's 1948 Leaf sets can be attributed to the two wax boxes of 1948 Leaf that Mr. Mint found -- all of which were opened save for two packs (of course, those final two packs may have been opened in the last 12 years).

Finally, with some of the test issue sets that Topps and others issued, there are the factory "finds" that eventually find their way into the hobby. Consider Fleer's release of nearly an entire case (or more) of 1961 Fleer basketball -- which has made someone have 41+ year old set with a grade weight of over 9.25. Or consider the many test issues that Woody Gelman and others have leaked into the hobby over the last decade or two. There are some common examples like the Topps Roger Maris card, but then there are rarities like the 1961 Topps Dice Game cards. Even the 1967 Topps stand-ups really haven't appreciated too much in price over the last decade, if, for no other reason, because more examples have found their way into the hobby.

Finally -- consider the five to ten hobby powerhouses who are really supporting the hobby. Not that it will happen anytime soon, but imagine what a "find" it would be if Charlie Merkel ever sold his collection? As Davalillo eluded to earlier, here you have a gentleman who is sitting on *MULTIPLE* near-mint or better sets for nearly ever year from the mid-1950s until later. And it is only pure speculation where his late 1950s and 1960s sets would end up if he got them graded. Most of the sets he already has, he got the majority of the 8s and 9s from his raw submissions -- not from the second-hand market.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.