Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The "All 9+" Vintage Mainstream Set

Guys,

Over the last year or so, I've noticed a number of different thoughts on what people post in their sets. The unwritten categories that I see include:

1)Post any grade card in your set.
2)Post PSA 7 or better in your set.
3)Post PSA 8 or better in your set.
4)Only post PSA 9 or better in your set.

So far, we've seen that some of the smaller sets can definitely been done (and have) in all PSA 9 and 10. The two that come to mind are Merkel's 68 Topps 3D and Gemmint's 70 Kelloggs.

But, as for the PSA 9 and above mainstream sets, I think that the closest and probably the most likely to do it is the 68 Revere set. I believe that he's now in the 93% range.

How long do you think it will be before we see one of these sets finished? How long before we see any of the others finished not including the Revere? Do you think that its possible to finish them without a few 8's?
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Frank,

I do believe it to be possible yet costly. I would have to say that you'd need alot of friends. Being able to cruise the big card shows could make this possible.

On this note though, I'm finding it almost impossible to nail the 81's in all 9's let alone vintage. The project is being sent to PSA next week.image It's been in the making for almost a year. I've been through 50,000 case fresh cards and growing old trying to find a garvey.

Could you imagine looking at 50,000 vintage yikes.image

PS The answer to your question COSTLY

Matt
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Hey I like being mentioned in the same sentence as Charles Merkel. Thanks FB you made my day image.

I agree with you about the '68 Revere set. I'm sure it's possible for other sets too, but it is difficult to imagine unless one knows of large hidden stashes of raw material yet to be graded.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey I like being mentioned in the same sentence as Charles Merkel. >>

GEMMINT - It sure beats being in the same sentence with Charles Manson image...jay
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    You got that right Jay, LOL image.
  • Options
    crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    I've been toying with doing a PSA 9/10 '75 SSPC set. Might give me something to do if I was bored, esp. because I have 300 raw sets here that are absolutely perfect. Except, I really don't have time to go through 200,000 cards!

PS To see what I'm talking about, check out the SSPC pops in a few weeks on key cards...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Solomon-

If you get any Schmidt or other Phillies cards in PSA 10 -- please let me know. I have a few of the Schmidt in PSA 10 -- but would not mind putting together a full Phillies team set in PSA 9 or 10 -- and get any more Schmidts that are graded highly.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    I've got 300 Schmidt's going in, so if I don't get high grades, that'll be it for PSA...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    Any Sal Bandos crazy? image

Ian
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    To respond to Frank's question, I believe that in the next 18-24 months that from 1963 forward that every vintage Topps set will be completed or be very very close to being completed in psa 9 and there will be at least 20 sets of each completed or very very close to being completed in psa 8.
  • Options
    Frank - I believe that an all 9 set would be extremely difficult in the (full sized) standard issues. The POP is still very thin on many of the commons from standard vintage issues in PSA 9 Mint grade. It is next to miraculous that the 68' Revere set is 93% complete as such. This is truly a crowning achievement.
    Set builders face many obstacles to a Mint quality set including each sets run of "tough" cards. They face fierce competition from other high grade set builders, team set builders, team collectors, and mint grade collectors. And this is only a reference to already slabbed examples.
    Scouring shows, local dealers, the web, and private estates will turn up fewer and fewer gems as time passes.
    As Mint quality collections from older collectors find there way back into the market, less of these will actually remain intact as dealers break them up to sell singles or slab the keys.
    Acquiring your own Mint examples for grading is brutal. as you well know. You are just as likely, or more so, to get returned a grade of PSA 8 as you are a Mint 9. This is what makes this quest so incredibly tough and admirable for those that have achieved and will achieve this GPA.
    My opinion is that you will see only a handful of complete or near complete PSA 9+ graded regular issue sets in the near future.
    It will take patience, persistence, and gobs of the green stuff to get there.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    As Ray alluded to, I think you'll see sets that have 90% PSA9s but it's that last 10%. With all vintage issues, there are just some cards that do not want to be PSA9-quality. i.e. 69 Shannon, 72 Schaal IA and Expos Team.

Also, Ray sort of touched on this but for an all-PSA9 set you need to have virtually all the cards in fairly significant pops in PSA9. A pop-1 card only works for you if you have the one. Otherwise, if it's truly tough it will go at a very high price - if it's even offered for sale. It's just as likely that the low-pop stuff is tucked away in private collections never to be offered for sale.

However, I think too it depends on what you consider "vintage". I think Ray is correct in that we'll only see a small handful of PSA9+ sets assembled - for the years 1972 and before. However, I definitely see sets 1974 and later as doable in PSA9. By no means easy or cheap, but attainable. For example, Carlos is 100% complete on his 74 set with a 8.22 GPA - and the last I knew I wasn't done upgrading. For 1975, Frank Smith is at almost 80% with a GPA of 8.52. There will be a couple 70s sets that will be very tough in 9 for a while - 1977 for example. But I think over time as more examples are graded, even these will even out.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to add my 2c. I think it will be many many years before we see another accomplishment like the Revere set. The owner of the set is a MAD MAN when it comes to these 68's. He is a very good friend of mine and he is just passionate about this set. I just dont see any one person paying the scratch its going to take to do these sets in 9 or higher. I doubt you will see sets over the 8.50 mark complete. It will be just too expensive. The older sets that are complete(1950's) are just unbelieveable too, but most of the sets foundations were collected BEFORE PSA. The prices werent as high as they are now. Not to say that these collectors didnt spend on these sets because they did but see what it would take to accomplish there feats now. They all have huge equities in there sets. I remember selling cards to Marshall and Merkel in the 80's. There were very discriminate then. So I have to believe there sets were NRMT-MT or better when assembled. There upgrades are what costs them now. There mid to late 60's sets will be finished, some sooner thsn others and the grade averages will be in the lower third of the 8's and will eventually go higher with upgrades but anything approaching the 8.5 level is a monstrous accomplishment when complete. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Crazysc,
    I must have access to the rest of the SSPC's. I just sent 30 or so stars to PSA a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    I do think you will see sets from the 60’s and 70’s in a grade of 9 (or very close) in the future. There is a new crop if collectors out there willing to spend crazy money for cards. There will need to be some kind of leveling off period where some collectors will have to happy with a set in 8 (no disrespect to anyone, this is still a proud accomplishment to have) and dump their dreams of complete MINT. But I do feel for the crazy few, there will be no stopping until they have a MINT set.

I think the real question is why? Why is a set in 9’s important? What does that say about YOU? Are you a better collector? Is it that important to have 9’s over 8’s???
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Chris,

Good to see you on the board.

Bob C,

I'm betting that we'll see a few 8.5+ sets by the end of this year from 1959 through the early 70's. I'm betting that we see 10 different sets at 8.5 and above. The one that I don't understand is the folks that state "nothing but 9's will go in this set". Because, anything short of a Revere-like effort will never and I mean NEVER get it done.

I honestly believe that the only Vintage all 9+ set within the next 2 years will be the Revere 68. There are a number of others showing progress but no one is really much more than 25% at this point. So, other than Revere, the only way that the rest of us will reach 100% will be with 8's mixed in.

But, in the end - it'll all be fun to watch...
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    This is my prediction if anyone wants to make a friendly wager. For the Topps sets 1963 trough 1972----by year-end 2003 measured by the highest set rating the lowest set rating will be 1966 Topps at 8.75 with 1967, 1968 and 1972 Topps being the highest with set ratings between 9.10 and 9.15. Furthermore, every one of thse sets will have at least 15 with set ratings of over 8.0 with many having 20-25.
  • Options
    Davalillo-

I will gladly take you on that friendly wager -- specifically in regard to a highest set rating of 9.10 and 9.15 (with exception noted toward Revere's 1968 set). Though I think that there are many high grade sets that will have tens, I believe that a number of the sets will have to strike a fine balance between the number of 8s and the number of 10s, even if the majority of the set grades out at PSA 9.

I truly believe that persons like you and some of the people in your circles of collecting have *multiple* high-grade raw sets out there, which I think fully supports the notion of 15-25 completely graded sets. However, I do think that it will be a Herculeanen effort to have these sets completely graded with an average grade of 9 by the end of 2003.

So please let me be the first to take you on on that friendly wager.

Honestly -- I think our hobby world will be a lot more fun and exciting if you win this bet....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I should have the 1987 WWF Set Finished off by the end of July, but I guess that isn't vintage image.

Anyways though, I think Carlos if he wanted to upgrade his 1974 set is in a nice position to go above a 9 rating because, heck, I even I have gotten 9's in the 1974 set image. Revere is in a great position to finish off the '68 set above 9 depending on what he needs, because demand may out weigh supply on the lower pop commons.

Ian
  • Options
    Hi, this is my first posting to the community board (for some reason it took me a long time to figure out that it even existed) and I just wanted to say thanks for all of the educated comments that are here in these posts.

With respect to the question of building a set in 9 versus 8, and whether this is an ego thing, I would simply respond to each their own.

I am not a dealer, but a collector, and I really enjoy looking at the cards I buy and remembering players from my childhood and their stats (even if I was a very little kid for the first cards that I bought) and it is much more enjoyable for me to see cards that are better centered on the front and on the back and do not have dinged corners. They are also nicer to show to my younger brothers when they visit.

As well, if you collect more than a few sets, there are enough 9's out there to keep you busy bidding and collating for quite some time.

I would also say that a nice side effect to the rise in prices of 9's (other than the disadvantage that the cards are more expensive) is that it seems to have gotten a lot of dealers who have product to break it out and send it in to get graded, thereby increasing the supply of 8's and 9's for everyone.

On the all 9 set, it seems like it will probably take three to five years to put one together, if it is very possible, because even though some of the late 60's and early 70's set might have near or over 2000 9's, there is certainly no even distribution.

Well those are just my thoughts, but I did want to respond to the idea that just because I might bid on 9's I think I "might be better" than other collectors. Collecting is still a personal thing for many.

Thanks

Chris (ebay chris_renaud)
    Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • Options
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to the board!

mikeschmidt, Davalillo,

Thats what I like to see! People putting their money where their mouths are!!! But, I have to tell you... I think the sets that have the best shot at hitting that magic 9.00 mark are those where you only have one or maybe 2 people with the cash for 9's. I suspect that short of a family tragedy, that the Revere set will make it before the end of 2003. As for the 67 and 72, unless Sky is having a much easier time finding 9's and 10's that he still needs than I am, I figure best I can hope for is 8.70 by end of 2002 and 8.85 by end of 2003. There are just too many players (roughly 7 collecting 9's & 10's) in 72, for me to grab as many high end cards as I'd like.

Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    The Revere set is less than 50 cards from completion in 9 or 10. He has all to complete in at least 8, including all the variations. I believe out of the 50 or so cards there are 30 with a 0 POP in 9.

Bob
  • Options
    Ok .... let's expand upon the original idea. Everyone take out your crystal ball .... what set do you thing WILL be the first done in MINT condition ?? and .... what set would you LIKE to see completed in MINT grade ?

the first set, I think, will come from the 70's maybe 74 or 75. I think there are plenty of ungraded cards for those years to have at least one set as 9's.

as for a dream 9 set. I would love to see a 1957 set in 9's. First year with the standard size, great pic's and not to mention the tallent base of players!

ChrisKK
  • Options
    I would take an educated guess that there is a 1961-1962 Fleer Basketball set that is 100% complete with a weighted grade average exceeding 9.00, with all cards grading out at PSA 9 or PSA 10 GEM MINT.

Fleer's release of several wax boxes a few years back really exploded the availability of these cards -- and nearly half the set exists in PSA 10. It is out there, but I am just not sure if anyone is going to step up and claim the fame....yet
  • Options
    ok, ok ..... let's talk just Baseball for this quest.
  • Options
    First: 1968 Topps

Second: 1969 Topps

Third: 1975 Topps

Outside contendors rounding out the Top 10 (1979 Topps, if anyone ever grades commons; 1956 Topps -- I am pretty sure that there is at least one set out there that is over 8.50 that is not registered; 1972 Topps as well).

Other, smaller sets also have good shots: 1963 Fleer, 1959 Fleer Ted Williams, even 1948 Bowman has a chance in 5 years.

I also give Bob Earhart a 4-year goal of finishing off his 1969 Topps Super set in PSA 10 if he is upgrading -- I believe he now only needs seven cards.
  • Options
    Having worked on the 1969 set for over 15 years, I don't have a high confidence level that there will be an all PSA 9 set. I hope there will but I doubt it. Cards like many of the all-star cards, Lou Brock, Tom Satriano, Mike Shannon, Bill Robinson and Dick Raditz are almost non existant in 8, let alone 9. There are many others that are tough to find. If you consider the white letter variations as part of the set, the odds get even longer.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    I think that the closer you get to bridging the gap from "vintage" to "modern" the better chance you have for an all "9" set. I bet that for 73 and 74 Scott Wetzel has to be pretty close. I believe that 72 will happen but probably not within the next 3 years. As with the 69 set, there are certain cards that are just always badly centered. I can see the "Best Possible Set Rating" for 72 going over 9 shortly. But, for one person to gather all of those cards in the same set at the same time - I don't think anyone is closer that Erik Jarvi and I.

Sixty eight will happen before anyone else because I can't see anyone else slamming in $500 bids for 1 of 1 PSA 9 commons other than Revere on a regular basis. Sky has a real shot with the 67 set - but I bet he's still 3+ years away from finding that last 9.

And I don't know about an "all 9" set but I'm betting that Steve Peckovich's 1971 Topps "The Headache" will be at 8.3 or 8.4 within the next year.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    The top 3 sets from the "vintage" years [up to 1980] that will be completed in PSA 9:

1) 1968 [Revere will successfully acquire any card that he needs in "9" if it exists]

2) 1967 [Skylaneflyer is not done!]

3) 1976

?1969? What are the odds of getting a PSA 9 Roy White, Lou Brock or Mike Shannon in the same set? Not likely. There is also a myriad of condition sensitive cards that exist in other series. In addition, we haven't even touched on the variation scarcities!

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    69Topps8:

With 1969, I was suggesting that someone would build a set with a weighted grade average of over 9.00 -- even if it has a few 8's in the set, the 10's will balance it out. I do agree that there are some cards that may never exist in PSA 9.

All this coming from a collector of the 1955 Bowman set -- where not even half of the cards exist in PSA 9, and probably never will. If it wasn't for Paris, TN, the set would probably be tougher to build than a 1948 Leaf set.
  • Options
    1969 cant ever be completed in 9 because no one will ever get the White Letters in 9 which is required to complete this set. The only 9 is a Ted Savage card besides the few Mantles. Finish this set in over 8.5 or 8.6 and I will bow down too you. There have to be 20 cards that are virtually impossible to find in 9 besides the Whites let alone 1 person own them all should one of each surface.
  • Options
    JHJH Posts: 111
    I do not beleive that 1964 Topps will be completed in PSA 9 any time in the near future... there are still 189 cards (almost 1/3 of the set) with no 9's, 140 cards with only one 9, and 92 cards with just 2 9's.... I hope to complete the set and be at 8.5 sometime next year, but a 9.0 set may never be possible.....
  • Options
    Ive already expressed my doubts on the likelyhood of all "9" sets being completed in a previous post to this thread.
    As far as the 69' set goes I am firm in my belief that it will not happen; especially, as Bob says, one endeavors to complete the set with the white letters as I have. My "whites" are all 6,7 or 8OC grade and a collector would have to work diligently just to accumulate some of those white commons in a like grade. Bob's "whites" are amazingly rare and could only be understood by other collectors who have attempted to pursue them. "Whites" certainly drag down my GPA but I feel they are necessary for this set. Thats just my personal choice regarding the appeal of this sets construction.
    We have talked often and actively on these boards about "tough" cards in this set. There are dozens of them.
    If you canvassed the 5 or 6 top guys occupying the 69' registry with 8+ GPA's they all uniformly continue the pursuit of Mint grade but would probably all acknowledge they are likely to spend their lifetime getting there and maybe still fall short. And your talking about the "Best of the Best" in my book.
    MikeSchmidt - Even with the addition of "10's" this will still be a tough road to hoe with the 69' set.
    Frank - I agree, 70's sets with persistance, patience and cash are likelier candidates outside of the Revere 68' set.
    Bob, Dan, Ron, Gemint, 69Topps8, and JohnC- I wish you the best of luck in proving me wrong!

RayB69Topps
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Davalillo - When you say "every 70s set" will be completed in mint 9, I assume you're not referring to the 71s. Over half of the cards in that set aren't mint 9 yet.
  • Options
    Here's one thing that may factor into the equation:

Remember that some of the hobby stalwarts like Charlie, Marshall (and probably Davalillo, too) have high-graded complete PSA sets -- that were from their personal collection -- e.g., they built the sets themselves, raw, back in the day, and when they finally graded out, there were many 8s, 9s and even 10s.

The reason I say this: I know that at least one, if not all three of those individuals (and others like them) have multiples of each set. So, for example, one of those three might have five, six or seven sets of 1954 Bowman. And none of those sets are even completely graded yet. Sure, there is one set of the six or seven that represents their best, constant upgrades, etc., but I would bet that, at minimum, each one of those sets would grade out at EX/MT or Near Mint, with many cards that would grade 7, 8 and even 9. If one of those collectors has five such high grade sets from the 1950s -- how many sets from 1960 have they put away over the years? Ten? Twenty? Fifty? Who knows? I certainly don't. But what I'm saying, and what Davalillo may have indirectly been eluding to, is that there are some collectors out there...not many, mind you, but some that may have large numbers of complete sets that were assembled for corners and colors 20 or 30+ years ago, and have sit dormant in boxes/albums ever since. If they ever decided to grade out their sets -- the populations could explode.

Remember -- all it takes is one find or one such person/dealer to start grading their collection out to change the whole picture of the landscape. I may sound like an old fart, but I remember when the Population Report for 1968 Topps #512 Grant Jackson was two in PSA 9 MINT and zero in PSA 10 GEM MINT. One find -- and everything changed...
  • Options
    My top three possibilities-

1978T - Frank Smith is already over 40% complete at a GPA of 9.04

1975T - 80% with over 8.50 GPA is tops in the registry - and there's another set not in the registry which approaches that.

1968T

Here's why-

With 1978T, there's a good bit of unopened material - and a TON of high-grade raw cards - and the top 3 or 4 set builders are actively submitting cards. And there's a decent amount of eBay traffic for 78s. At the rate this set has been going, my guess is this set will be done in PSA9 either by the 2003 National or by the end of 2003.

With 1975, there's a ton of very high-grade raw cards out there. But you also have 3 or 4 of the top set builders actively helping each other much the way the 72 collectors have. And you have collectors and dealers submitting 1975s. I think this set can be finished in 9 by the end of 2004.

With 1968, there are still some high-end ungraded examples left but the biggest thing is you have some of the most fanatical collectors of this set who are willing to spend whatever it takes.

Mike
  • Options
    RayBShotz, Gaspipe26 and 69Topps8,

I wholeheartedly agree that a PSA 9 average grade 1969 set even if you have a bunch of 10's is nearly impossible. For starters, the white letter variations should put that notion to rest. Furthermore, some of the psa 9 white letter variations are not visually appealing and may even be worse than the PSA 8s. Even the PSA 9 WL Mantle cards; how can one justify $30,000+ for a card with a PSA 10 floating around out there?

Nevertheless, I believe that an 8.5 is possible yet extremely challenging and it can be accomplished with the Mantle(both variations), Jackson and Ryan all in PSA 8.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    how about one 69 collector buying out another? upgrading his own set and then selling the duplicates. then w/ that money going crazy and buying out any tens or 9 he may need? what if gaspipe's set would have been bought by another set collector from the registry?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    I may be repeating myself with a couple of these points.. Having collected vintage cards for a long time, I agree with many of the points Mike Schmidt makes. Until recently, it was almost unheard of to collect graded sets past 1960. Most serious vintage collectors focused on sets such as 52 topps, 53 topps, 53 bowman,33-34 Goudey, 41Play Ball and a few others. While what Mike Schmidt is saying is true that there are ungraded sets from pre 1957 out there, it has to be dwarfed by the huge amount of ungraded nrmt to mt sets post 1963. I know that Charle Merkel has a very large number of ungraded nrmt-mt sets from the 1950s and 1960s that he has not submitted. Collectors are just beginning to submit cards from 1963 and beyond. Whereas they may have submitted Mantle, Mays, Aaron and Clemente, now they are looking in many cases at submitting whole sets. This will cause the population of psa 8 and better cards to skyrocket to the point that psa 8 and better sets post 1963 will be common and psa 9 sets in many years will be attainable. While there will still be cards wth relatively low pops in 9, in my opinion in a couple of years most years will have sets with a set rating above 9.00.
    One thing I find interesting and I believe that the registry has caused this is that in the past, once serious vintage collectors finished a nrmt-mt set they moved onto the next or perhaps worked on several at the same time. I am surprised that many collectors just focus on one set. I don't think its a money issue here as once you have one set in 8, it is cheaper to collect another in 8 rather than upgrade the one you have to 9. Nothing wrong with this--I just find it surprising. If one looks back to 1957 and before, you see many of the same names. While some are trying to cntinually upgrade many are content with psa 8 sets
    Frank you are underestimating yourself--you will have a set rating of over 9.00 by year-end 2003.
    Also, Mike Schmidt is correct about many of the smaller sets and in other sports. There are a couple of serious vintage collectors of 1948 Bowman Basketball, 1957 topps basketball and 1961 Fleer basketball who must have unbelievable sets by now given what I have sold them and my knowledge of where they are.
  • Options
    Davalillo, you bring up an interesting point. I think the professional grading concept has changed the way people look at collecting. In the past, I think people would look for NM-MT or better cards that satisifed their "visual appeal" criteria. Once they obtained a card they deemed acceptable, they would not continue to look for a better card. However, with the 1-10 scale (or even 1-100 scale), it has broken the grades down to finer levels and therefore, collectors have the option to make micro improvements to their sets. They can upgrade a NM/MT card to Mint or from Mint to Gem Mint. In the 70's, the industry had only three or four grading categories. Then the interim grades were conceived and then +/- interim grades (e.g., NM/MT+) were created. The further the grades are refined, the more opportunity to upgrade. I actually prefer the 1-10 system. I think 1/2 grades are cutting it too thin and it's too difficult to accurately distinguish an X from an X.5.

Personally, I'm content with 8's. I'll take 9's when I can pick them up for a reasonable price or get them from my own submissions. But I'd rather have 1965-69 PSA 8 graded sets than one PSA 9 1969 set for example.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    Davalillo> The fact that I am doing my 75 set in PSA8 or better allows me to work on more/other sets. Sure, I could pursue my 75 set in PSA9 or better, but doing so would mean giving up pursuing the 78 and/or 79 sets. I certainly have a lot of respect for people who put all their efforts into a single set, but at the same time I know that's not the approach I prefer.

Mike
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Davalillo,

I am curious. Do you believe this is also the case with the red man tobacco sets from 52-55?
    Are you aware of many nice red man cards in raw condition awaiting to be submitted? Are there
    some sets that might be tough in high grade from the 50's or 60's?

aconte
  • Options
    Aconte,

These are very tough sets. In my opinion and I am far from an expert, the 55 Red Man set is marginally easier but for 52-55 Red Man there are between 302-367 total cards graded in each set with the sets having between 55-108 8s and a total! of just 10 9s. While I am sure there is some ungraded material out there, I think most of it is off condtion. I have complete sets which I bought in Mr. Mint auctions as mint in the early 1990s--my set rating was just 6.53 for 1953 and 7.26 for 1955. I have gotten some pretty aggressive offers for certain cards in my set. SMR for 8s and9s is definately low for these sets.
    As to other sets that are tough from the 1950s and 1960s, I'll restrict my comments to just sets that I collect:
    1954 Wilson Franks
    1954 DanDee
    1952 Bowman Football(large)
    1952 Bowman Football(small)
    1953 Bowman Football
    1968 Topps 3D--especialy the Flood and the Powell

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Davalillo - how do you foresee the 1971 set being completed in PSA 8.75 or above by even the end of 2003? Considering that half the cards from the set don't yet exist in PSA 9 (including keys such as Munson) and that this set in high grade has been fairly popular to grade, it would take a collector having put away a raw set that is significantly better than the best known graded examples ever. I don't see upgrading through auctions to do the trick on this set - the bidding for even tough PSA 8s is fiercer than any other year around it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    For the 69' guys and those who have discussed its PSA 9 GPA possibilities - According to the 69' POP report which I just pulled today there are a whopping 223 cards out of 664 that do not yet have an example graded 9 or above!
    I still, therefore maintain that it is extremely unlikely that anyone will get there, probably impossible, even on the base set of 664.
    This statistic excludes completely the variations that the PSA set registry requires for the 69' set also.
    I dont even know if there is another post war set with this many POP holes at the PSA 9 grade.

RayB69Topps
  • Options
    Ray -- though the number is not 223, the 1955 Bowman baseball set has about 185 cards that have never been graded in PSA 9 MINT grade. That number represents over 55% of the entire set, which makes completion a tough challenge for any advanced collector. There are still many cards with PSA 8 populations of less than five....
  • Options
    MS - This percentage does not surprise me. Knowing little about the 55' Bowman set; as the casual observer I would naturally expect that PSA 9 examples of many of that issue would be difficult to attain.
    I'll bet if you canvassed the casual observer who knew little about the 69' set that it would be somewhat of a surprise that a full 33% of that set had yet to achieve a 9 grade.
    I am sure that over the next 5 years the zero POP designation for half of that 33% will be achieved; however, as has been pointed out earlier the miriad of "tough" cards in this set makes for the inevidibility that many holes at the PSA 9 level may never be plugged by a single example.
    MS - You do have your work cut out for you on that 55' Bowman and yours is a quality effort.

On a side note, I just love when apost has "legs" like this one.This topic applies to all sets and fosters 5 or 6 seperate conversations at the same time and has been known to birth new posts on similar subjects.

Nice going Frank.

RayB69Topps
  • Options
    Ray,
    So with the variations there are about 240 without a 9. Thats why I originally said I would bow down to anyone who could make this set in 8.5 complete. Its just going to get really super tough with the competition when some of these real tough cards surface. (If they surface). I'm not as convinced as alot of others that there's tons of raw cards in NRMT-MT or Mint conition out there. The guys who have the bulk know the tough cards. If they had them they would be available. Time will tell.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    To me, this is a no-brainer regarding which vintage Topps set is and will continue to be highest ranking and that's Revere's '68 set. This gentleman pays decent money for the cards that he needs and just about all the major dealers know who he is and help him complete his set. The other factor regarding the '68 set is the windfall of 10's floating around. The '68 set may still have some cards that haven't been graded 9 yet, but there are enough 10's out there to pull the average well over 9.10 for a complete set and probably 9.20 in 16 months.
  • Options
    Dan,
    I believe Revere told me that if he put the remaining cards in the set in 8 he would complete the set with a 9.06 rating.

Bob
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Bob,

That's amazing! I wonder if he keeps track of how much he's spent building that set? The cost must be staggering!