Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to crack a PCGS slab for your 7070?

TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

I have got quite good at this. 5 steps and the coin is free.
Wrap the coin in an old t-shirt or towel.
First I cut the lower left corner of slab. Then I place the wire cutters along the inside edge(rim) of bottom. That cuts(fractures)normally to the other side of the slab, then I cut that corner. I then slide the screw driver up the right slide of slab and lift slightly. You will hear a popping sound. That is good but is scary at the same time. The right side of slab is now separated. I then put the screw driver in the bottom left side of slab and repeat. This movement then separates the top of the slab with the underneath. The label has a slight tackiness that holds it in place. Remove carefully, and add to 7070. Carefully place your coin in your folder and you are good to go.
Later this week, a Barber Quarter will obtain the same treatment!!!

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Comments

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

With eye protection!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG! Noooooo!!!! :'(

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tunis said

...then I then slide the screw driver up the right slide of slab and lift slightly.

😳🙏🏼🤭

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's how to reduce your steps to one.
    Lance.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Lance, I like that!!! The pliable circular ring/holder really protects the coin. Sliding the screwdriver just outside that ring works well. Not as scary as it looks. I like not having any broken pieces around the coin itself.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right! Try it. I've done many dozens for my Dansco's. Never a problem.

FWIW, NGC and ANACS slabs use softer plastic. So this method doesn't work. The snips crush the plastic instead of cracking it. Repeated blows with a hammer around the edges works. You can then pry apart the top and bottom.
    Lance.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

These new slabs are really, really tough! Good job. I just used my vice and found out that they shatter like a bomb and had shards of plastic everywhere (no coin was harmed). I'll try the nippers next time.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a BFH with one blow on the short side. Seems to work.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found that leaving them in the slab eliminates all that work... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend put together a high grade 7070 set. He bought high end slabbed type coins, cracked them out, and put them in his 7070 album. His collecting interests changed and he sold his set. He paid a lot to get them all reslabbed so he could sell them for a maximum return. A 7070 album is a great idea for nice circulated raw coins. Cracking out nice coins from top tier slabs is just a waste of money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cracking out nice coins from top tier slabs is just a waste of money.

POTD.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

3" diamond blade / pneumatic cut off tool.
    Score all 4 sides and snap them off like a Kit Kat bar. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file