Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I bought the coin, not the cracked PCGS slab.

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this really cool coin but it has a cracked slab.

I wonder if PCGS will reholder this coin for free as PCGS put this coin in too shallow of a holder. I believe it is the responsibility of PCGS to put a coin like this in the correct thickness of plastic.

What say you?

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should put it in the correct sized holder [diameter/thickness] if they have one. JMO :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Nice error @ErrorsOnCoins ,
    for us new to errors, is that 2 planchets?, thanks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    Nice error @ErrorsOnCoins ,
    for us new to errors, is that 2 planchets?, thanks

No, just one planchet.

The coin has a very deep bend, kinda like a baseball cap.

• Options

Thanks.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would think they would for free, they messed up so they have to keep the customers happy and do the right thing

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

"You need bigger and taller!"

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

While they have a thicker holder now, did they have a thicker holder available when that was graded? Did they contact the submitter then that it was too thick only to be told, "go ahead and holder it?" When did it crack?

Obviously, it should be reholdered, but I would be very surprised if they offered to do it for free.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    While they have a thicker holder now, did they have a thicker holder available when that was graded? Did they contact the submitter then that it was too thick only to be told, "go ahead and holder it?" When did it crack?

Obviously, it should be reholdered, but I would be very surprised if they offered to do it for free.

I found that asking in person at a coin show always works for me especially if I am submitting more coins.

No shows now tho :o

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@messydesk said:

I found that asking in person at a coin show always works for me especially if I am submitting more coins.

No shows now tho :o

Indeed, one of the benefits of face-to-face business. Much easier to deal with special circumstances that way.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 12:16PM

Maybe.

Nice error!

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one very interesting coin. Thanks.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I dig that the reverse waviness of the letters. Should be labelled as the "dizzy" effect! :D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should be asking Customer Service and not us. Just sayin'.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think your coin was full red when holdered ?

• Options

@topstuf said:

Abuse is not the same.

• Options

@fiftysevener said:
    Do you think your coin was full red when holdered ?

Graded beautiful RB

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably worth a try to ask. I'm not certain it would be done for free, but you won't know if you don't ask.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice match to your avatar.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 5:07PM

For some reason I'm starting to get interested in error coins. Why? Maybe because so many puzzling ones have been posted lately?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 6:52PM

I really like those solid gaskets in the older holders. I really wish they would just re-slab the holder and reuse the gasket and label...this may be one of those special circumstances mentioned above at a show.

BTW...that cent is pretty sweet!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any funny business here, just an honest bit of holder damage, I would just ask for a reholder.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it the way it is. Error coin with an Error Holder.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Very nice error coin. Reholder for sure.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error coin, error slab. I like it, as-is. ;)

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slab would be considered PSD - Post Slabbing Damage.

thefinn
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting situation...I wonder if it was subjected to further stress after slabbing, or just an eventual pressure release.....Probably no way to tell...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few light taps with a ball peen hammer and that coin would fit nicely in a regular sized slab. Just sayin'. :o;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was about to say perhaps it will already fit in a regular holder....with a cent spread thin it seems like it would flatten a bit in these circumstances.

@PerryHall said:
    A few light taps with a ball peen hammer and that coin would fit nicely in a regular sized slab. Just sayin'. :o;)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool error! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file