Home Sports Talk
Options

Gerrit Cole - Pine tar sticky man

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 10, 2020 12:13PM in Sports Talk

There's a story all over the internet about Gerrit Cole using pine tar to get a better grip on the baseball. A fan captured a video of him adjusting his hat on the mound and his fingers appear to be sticking to the bill of his hat and now he's being accused of using pine tar to get a better grip on the baseball. Here's the video.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 10:28AM

Interesting note: In May 2018, Trevor Bauer accused the Astros of using pine tar. If Gerrit Cole is indeed guilty, could he have learned this pine tar trick from his time with the Houston Astros, and if so, will he ever change his sticky ways?

• Options

Silly sticky men.

• Options

😂😂 MLB and it's scandals.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 11:08AM

Double post. This never happened, I repeat, it never happened!

• Options

I remember when Brewers pitcher Will Smith was ejected for having pine tar on his arm.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 11:58AM

This thread is making me crave pine tar. I wonder if it's a tasty treat? It sounds appetizing. Pine tar, ooooh.

I might just have to order a bucket and make a samich!

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 12:23PM

For those about to tar, WE SALUTE YOU!!

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 12:29PM

No pine tar thread would be complete without an appearance from George Brett, so here we go. I love Brett's reaction to being ejected.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 12:39PM

Legendary.

• Options

This could very well be the dumbest thread I've ever worked on. I've enjoyed every second of it!!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

this could explain a mid 30s verlander having his two best seasons with the astros...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    this could explain a mid 30s verlander having his two best seasons with the astros...

🤔 In this video, a fan shows a foul ball he caught and the pitcher was Justin Verlander. You can see a substance on the ball.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    No pine tar thread would be complete without an appearance from George Brett, so here we go. I love Brett's reaction to being ejected.

He flew off that bench like his Hemorrhoids were on fire.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, Brett slows up and waits to be held back.

And the pine tar thing would make sense.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe MLB should tar & Feather the guilty

Pine tar cant help you throw 97 MPH

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2020 3:44AM

I wonder if they use pine tar in Japan? They probably do, considering they copy everything else from us.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread brought to you by Double D. All rights reserved 😂😂😂

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a situation where many/most pitchers do it and so no team will call anyone else out. I could obviously be wrong. A little is deemed ok but chunks and globs are not. I could be wrong and it’s definitely not ‘legal’ but I don’t know that it’s something MLB would pursue. I guess some will be how big a stink there is...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited August 11, 2020 6:47AM

@perkdog said:
    This thread brought to you by Double D. All rights reserved 😂😂😂

😂😂 Yes, and this thread is also being watched by the government. I just know it. They're always watching. They have clever ways of watching us all!!

NOTE: FIND OUT MORE AT - birdsarentreal.com!!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I think this is a situation where many/most pitchers do it and so no team will call anyone else out. I could obviously be wrong. A little is deemed ok but chunks and globs are not. I could be wrong and it’s definitely not ‘legal’ but I don’t know that it’s something MLB would pursue. I guess some will be how big a stink there is...

IMO, you nailed it. Baseball is full of unwritten rules, etc. With the era free agency long under way, guys move around so much that it's difficult for any organization to throw stones at another. Even the egregious Astros scandal is being swept away.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better than getting whacked in the noggin by a sweaty ball that gets away from the pitcher.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2