Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Home Schooling …. The Coin Business

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 10, 2020 9:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Our family has opted to have our 13 year old do online schooling only. My 24 year old daughter is getting her teaching credential online this year and teaching kids online as well.

I decided to homeschool my 13 year old myself. I will not be doing the academic studies as that is the responsibility of the online schooling. What I will teach him is what I know. I know the coin business, so I started there.

First up is how to pull a coin from inventory and ship it out. Pretty basic stuff but certainly an important part of the business.

Then we went into search mode and I showed him how I search for coins for inventory. This part will take years and years to learn.

I showed him how I post an Instagram post and how important that is to the coin business.

I asked my son if he knew how to use Photoshop and he confidently said yes. Ok then let’s see. I do four photographs of every slabbed coin, Two glamour shots obverse and reverse and two slab shots front and back. I do all the photography and I work on the glamor shots.

I have delegated all the slab photoshop work to my 13 year old son. I showed him one time what needs to be done and he was off to the races. I could not believe how well he did. He will be doing all my slab photoshop in the future.

I taught him my SKU numbering system and he now does that for me. I also taught him how to put the coin away so we could refind them in a few seconds by the numbering system.

I have not taught him yet on how to take the photos. I will start with him doing the slab shots first.

Next up, we need to search a box of brand new cents looking for a major error. I bought this major error from a seller in one state.

I located a box of new cents from the same state and decided to take a flyer. We went thru all 2500 coins in less than an hour and found squat, oh well I had to try. My son got to keep all of the cents.

I will also be teaching my son gardening, kayaking and fishing :)

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of those are solid, foundational lessons.... I would call that good and responsible parenting. Great job... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 9:41AM

I too have been going through the new 2020 Lincolns. Mainly, for high grades! Found a couple of worthy ones to send in. Hopefully, it would grade at least a ms 69? Possibly, the coveted "70"! Could not find any errors. At least your son is interested in the coin searching. Good for you.
    Also about homeschooling, my wife and I homeschooled our daughter years ago. It does take a whole lot of patience teaching them. Good choice. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Our family has opted to have our 13 year old do online schooling only. My 24 year old daughter is getting her teaching credential online this year and teaching kids online as well.

I decided to homeschool my 13 year old myself. I will not be doing the academic studies as that is the responsibility of the online schooling. What I will teach him is what I know. I know the coin business, so I started there.

First up is how to pull a coin from inventory and ship it out. Pretty basic stuff but certainly an important part of the business.

Then we went into search mode and I showed him how I search for coins for inventory. This part will take years and years to learn.

I showed him how I post an Instagram post and how important that is to the coin business.

I asked my son if he knew how to use Photoshop and he confidently said yes. Ok then let’s see. I do four photographs of every slabbed coin, Two glamour shots obverse and reverse and two slab shots front and back. I do all the photography and I work on the glamor shots.

I have delegated all the slab photoshop work to my 13 year old son. I showed him one time what needs to be done and he was off to the races. I could not believe how well he did. He will be doing all my slab photoshop in the future.

I taught him my SKU numbering system and he now does that for me. I also taught him how to put the coin away so we could refind them in a few seconds by the numbering system.

I have not taught him yet on how to take the photos. I will start with him doing the slab shots first.

Next up, we need to search a box of brand new cents looking for a major error. I bought this major error from a seller in one state.

I located a box of new cents from the same state and decided to take a flyer. We went thru all 2500 coins in less than an hour and found squat, oh well I had to try. My son got to keep all of the cents.

I will also be teaching my son gardening, kayaking and fishing :)

In the Ocean with the sharks?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great that you are taking on the challenge to protect them from the covid.

• Options

@Jimnight said:

In the Ocean with the sharks?

Absolutely, for sure, not a doubt in my mind.

Homeschooling Marine Biology <3

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Homeschool spelunking.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like he is employee #2 in your business! Hope you can pay him more than pennies ;):)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Sounds like he is employee #2 in your business! Hope you can pay him more than pennies ;):)

You do not have to pay interns, do you?

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have homeschooled our kids (6&10) for the past few years. We're enrolling them in the public online option this year for a couple of reasons, but one of them is so that we can focus more on what we want them to learn (character, habits, nature) while knowing that their getting the basics that everyone else is...and not running ourselves ragged trying to do it all. We expect the online schooling to only take up about half the day, and with no activities going on, the rest of the time can be spent how we want.
    Your son is going to get a great education this semester just by learning how a business works and getting extra time with his father. Great job.

• Options

Today's lesson .....

My son just sat at the computer and wrote ebay listings for 5 certified coins today. He had to caption, price, fill in the appropriate fields, upload images and post.

He then went to my website portal and listed the 5 coins on my website which was easy because he copied the information he just wrote.

My carpal tunnel is feeling better, :D

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you are going to be teaching him the "errors" of your ways? :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool some thing you'll have the rest of your life. Fwiw

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try to think of the context I would post pictures of my young kids on the internet in front of a bunch of random, mostly anonymous people but for the life of me can't. Fishing for likes doesn't seem like a good reason to me but different strokes yadda, yadda, yadda.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2020 9:14AM

I had my son Zach sit down on the computer today to do my photoshop Slab shots.

I walked away and came back and it was all done perfectly.

Thanks, Zach.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2020 9:18AM

We packed up the truck to go out and teach our 13 year old how to Kayak Sail .....

Should be a good life lesson ......

• Options

Zach at the beach ready to learn Kayak Sailing .....

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grateful for the life we have, gotta love it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been schooled at home by the coin market several times... :D

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

We couldn't believe how well and fast Zach took to sailing. I told him it takes about 5 minutes to learn to sail, but he claims he learned to sail in four minutes, always got to one-up dad.

It was windier than expected, 12 MPH winds with larger gusts. I almost flipped about 5 times. I thought for sure my son would flip, but he never did. He told me he would let the sail go slack when a big gust hit him, smart boy.

Zach would use the pedals with the 12MPH winds to go as fast as he could. He was doing circles around his mother and laughing at her.

Good times .....

• Options
    Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

coool

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a heck of a lot of fun.

• Options

@kaz said:
    That looks like a heck of a lot of fun.

It is.

Now I am trying to talk my wife into letting me buy one of these ......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file