Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beware Commem collectors looking for original holders and envelopes

78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.

Comments

• Options

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that's a great idea.

• Options

@Zoins said:

A great idea to alter the envelope to make it look like it was an original mailing envelope for the Boone commem?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 10:53PM

@78saen said:

@Zoins said:

A great idea to alter the envelope to make it look like it was an original mailing envelope for the Boone commem?

Ah, the post was very vague as to what was happening since there was’t any description.

Altering the envelope isn’t cool. Generally collecting different things together is a neat idea without the deception.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@78saen said:

@Zoins said:

This putting a false original shipping extras together scam isn't new to eBay.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you replace a couple of letters in ebay, it spells scam..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

The Vermont the seller sold was recently on eBay by itself and came from a Heritage sale within the last year or so.

This 1926 Sesqui sale seems a bit hokey as the coin and envelope are legit. I've owned 3 of those Franklin Trust envelopes and they are scarce but not rare. I don't recall ever seeing that enclosed letter before and my gut feeling is that might have been slipped into a antique typewriter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-RARE-1926-Sesqui-Commem-Half-Dollar-Franklin-Trust-Co-Env-Coin-508-/264737854462?hash=item3da39b13fe:g:hUwAAOSw3-texdjK&nma=true&si=N1%2FCmsDAjcuDnT%2FJfI0hiva9KfI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    edited August 10, 2020 5:35AM

Blank copies of that letterhead used by the committee have sold on eBay, but none show that watermark in the paper. I like how the seller also went through the effort of placing it in the envelope with the coin and heavily thumbing the rim to give the impression all 3 have been together since day one and this was not a bogus listing.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

It pays to keep an open eye. Thanks for the reminder

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always, educate yourself on the types of mailers used, and buy from a respected dealer or collector if you are not an expert yourself. I have seen dealers fooled by "widows" bringing in boxes of this stuff with AT coins and ignoring the implausible, shelling out substantial $$

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file