Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

does anyone know what this metal is?

coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

does anyone know what this is and the value? a friend of mine wants me to sell it for him, but i don't collect this kind of stuff, doesn't look that valuable to me.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 11:43PM

The design is a 1781 Bar Cent. The bars look off though.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/bar-cent-bn/599

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say a Copper Bar cent

• Options

thank you, appreciate the help

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely a replica.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same as above!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say maybe cooper as well. Jmo

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be copper, however, that 'coin' will require authentication....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Appears to be copper, however, that 'coin' will require authentication....Cheers, RickO

It sure looks like a copy to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a replica, it could be pot metal with a copper coating.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

either send it in to be graded or have a coin shop look at it, that way you will have somewhere to start and then go from there, plus you will have some idea of what you have

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a copy of what is known as a Bar cent. These were sold for many years at historic sites, along with other copies of varying quality, and oftentimes along with modern "parchment" fashioned as replica or fantasy currency. The production and sales of these items were largely before the Hobby Protection Act of the mid-1970s and, thus, most have no notation of their modern origin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Known examples of the bar cent shall give you the difference in the width and shapes of that side of an authentic coin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

he just e mailed me and told me it was in a lot of silver and wheat cents he bought years ago for 50 dollars, so he doesn't have much of anything in it, so that's a good thing.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 1:16PM

As others have said, this is a fairly modern copy and worth very little unfortunately. There are so many different copies of this coin based I assume on how well-known and also how easy it is to copy. The copies such as yours were even sold in museum shops. Anyway, wish I had better news for you.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

BAR cent, reminds me, I need a beer!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file