Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is Vince Carter the next card to explode?

I don’t think there’s any doubt he will be a HOFer. Not sure his first year of eligibility either but has his cards cards started to tick up? I remember the hype of the next Jordan etc and he was a superstar in his own right. I’m sitting on 50 or so assorted rookies ranging from regular Topps issue to Chrome, Finest, Finest with foil, Skybox, SPx and a few more. Up or never up? Discuss?

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I don’t have any 10’s. A slew of 9’s, a couple of 9.5’s but no 10’s

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 7:28PM

From what i have heard, he's not officially done just yet. A 1 game contract for a proper send off is eminent during the 2021 season during the second set home game run is/was slated. Obviously things are constantly changing, but these type of things/contracts happen all the time and I definitely think Vince Carter warrants this extenuating contract.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn’t that Dirk Nowitzki’s Rookie year also?

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t know

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    Isn’t that Dirk Nowitzki’s Rookie year also?

1998 topps chrome is a great set with Vince, Dirk and Pierce all easy 1st yr HOFers.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 10:37PM

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1016074/is-the-vince-carter-topps-rookie-undervalued#latest

I grabbed a number of these back in early '19, so my wish is finally coming to fruition...I knew the paper version (not Chrome) was a tough card to 10 and was pretty confident they would one day explode up...just figured it would be closer to HOF induction

• Options

So is it still another 5 years until he’s eligible?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Excellent....very nice call...

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much were 10s in August of 2018 when you pushed off on Bryon Russell.....um i mean when you advise buying the SP authentic Carter rookies?

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 11:57AM

@nam812 said:
    How much were 10s in August of 2018 when you pushed off on Bryon Russell.....um i mean when you advise buying the SP authentic Carter rookies?

$170-$200 each. I was able to buy as low as $130 even earlier. And yes, in this market, every investor looks like a financial guru when in fact, they probably just got lucky. I'm not that smart, but using a few simple factors (large fan base, international fandom, iconic moments [Weis Dunk, Dunk Contest] long NBA career, Future HOFer, Nike athlete) Vince Carter seemed like a safe choice.

And on the flip side, I purchased a 1996 Chrome Kobe RC PSA 10 for $600 and sold it for $900 in 2018.

Today, it is nearly a $15,000 card.

We all make mistakes :)

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

Nice

W.C.Fields