Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is the Vince Carter Topps Rookie Undervalued?

A pretty good player for most of his career, in my eyes...only 205 PSA 10's out of 2547 graded...one would think it would be $100, but it can be had for between $20 and $35....he just not a guy people collect?

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was very popular, possibly his having hung on 5 or 6 years too long may have softened his market somewhat

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply not much demand for the guys cards.

If you think they're undervalued, pick a few up. Collectors might "wake up" someday and decide he's worth more.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough being the third-best rookie of his rookie season.

Nobody wants the paper when the Chrome is available.

Arthur

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019 1:44PM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Tough being the third-best rookie of his rookie season.

Nobody wants the paper when the Chrome is available.

Arthur

I was gonna ask this. Are we referring to his regular Topps card? They really rolled the presses on the base Topps cards back then and the preferred RC is the Topps Chrome RC between the two. Vince was hugely popular in Toronto, but I think his value problem stems from his ugly exit from Toronto and his lack of postseason success as the best player on his team. After he went to the Nets his cards have seen a decline in value that is common for most veterans in most sports who don't reach the all time great level. Unless you are winning MVP's or championships, or both, you usually get lost in the collecting shuffle as hobby money goes towards the next star that is coming up. He is almost certainly going to be on TV when his playing career is over. His image has been rehabilitated quite a bit from its lows and his values will probably see a little resurgence with his HOF induction. By the way, it is not just Vince whose base Topps is valued low. Allen Iverson PSA 10 RC's can be had for $20-25 all day. Looking at all the HOFers from the period: Kobe, Nash, AI, Ray Allen, McGrady, Duncan, Vince, Dirk and Pierce, I believe the only one whose paper Topps RC in PSA 10 crosses $50 is Kobe. Even with his HOF induction, I doubt Vince sees his paper Topps cross $50 in Gem. But take a look at his Topps Chrome RC or Topps Chrome Refractor. I think the Refractor would be close to $1k in a 10 now.

Steve
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    I view him and his demand as stale......he was popular a decade ago but he wasn't a household star on par with the big names IMO. He is a 2nd or 3rd tier kinda name. Thus, his RC is 20.00~35.00 range. A.K.A. "asleep at the wheel".

this

• Options

I've been pushing his SP Authentic RC as a Sleeper investment for five years. And will keep doing so. Sell everything the day he makes the HOF induction speech and bask in the glory of the return on investment gains.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

even so, with the paper, a 10% strike rate for PSA 10's is pretty low...I have to believe when he reaches the hall, the paper Topps card is going to double...look what cards of guys like Lee Smith in baseball did when he reached the hall...or Edgar Martinez...their cards went way up overnight after the hall announcement

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019 7:47PM

@Kep13 said:
    even so, with the paper, a 10% strike rate for PSA 10's is pretty low...I have to believe when he reaches the hall, the paper Topps card is going to double...look what cards of guys like Lee Smith in baseball did when he reached the hall...or Edgar Martinez...their cards went way up overnight after the hall announcement

I agree on the strike rate being interesting. That said, the basketball HOF is not nearly as popular as the baseball HOF. I do agree that his cards will see a pop around HOF time but he hasn't even retired yet and he plans on playing next year. I believe the BK HOF wait time is 5 years. That's a long time to be sitting on a card. Also, guys like Lee Smith and even Edgar were fringe HOF candidates. Lee Smith was a surprise to get in, which is why he and Baines saw larger than normal bumps after their HOF inductions. Vince is pretty much a shoo in to get in the HOF at this point so he will have more of the HOF induction priced into his cards vs. someone like Lee Smith who came out of left field so to speak. Also, unlike baseball, flagship Topps is not the card to own for basketball RC's. His Topps Chrome and SP Authentic (as mentioned by Joe) are more relevant cards for basketball collectors.

Steve
  • Options

good points slum22....my Vince cards aren't going anywhere, so I guess we shall see 7 years from now or so :)

• Options

I agree with myself.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

Bumps would be nice but i'm from Toronto and though I own many many Vince cards will probably be my son's to sell after I die. Had seasons tickets for his time. He was exciting and got to see all the games with my son. To many fond memories to ever sell.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Still not considered in the top 50 NBA by many, very good player, definitely a HOFer, could leap thru the roof in his prime. Many top tier hoop players in that range, who I think were better - Duncan, Kobe, Kidd, Garnett can be had in PSA 10 grade for $20-$50.

• Options

PatsGuy5000 -- while I agree with what you say, I mostly think the paper Topps Vince card should be worth more due to the low pop numbers... Kobe, KG, Duncan, etc have hundreds and hundreds of 10's for those cards that go for $25

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

went to high school with him, cool guy

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Huckleberry said:
    I remember watching the 2000 Sydney Olympics, and seeing Vince Carter lay down one of the most BRILLIANT, and EXPLOSIVE dunks in the history of basketball. He jumped up over 7 foot 2 Frederic Weis and dunked the ball. That dunk is immortal. Jumped up over him. There are articles all over the web about that dunk. So hell yes the card should be worth more in my opinion. Things dont happen in sports like that often.

i saw him do that in high school ... pretty cool....
    So many people wanted to see him the high school rented the OCEAN CENTER convention center for the basketball games in Daytona Beach...

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope his cards come back to near their value from 1998. I’ve got a box full of rookies and have held them thinking he was a sure HOFer.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.