Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help with this coin please!

Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a 1967 dime that looks some what doubled. So I try to do a comparison on PCGS. They look nothing alike. Help appreciated! I'm sure u will see the one that is graded and record auction $600 with a DDO

Comments

• Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the DDO at? lol

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    Where is the DDO at? lol

There appears to be doubling in the IGWT motto.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just see MD/die erosion.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the LOL coin-nut. You're o.k.!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @Hydrant said.
    Plus nice pics.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like machine doubling to me. Lips, nose also showing this. For the DDO, motto slight doubling only. Not valuable, my two cents.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missing torch bands is interesting.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a beat up old dime. Strictly spending money. If you have to enlarge something that much and still have to wonder about it ... it just isn't important.

All glory is fleeting.
  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

No evidence of split serifs. It's either mechanical doubling of die deterioration doubling, both of which aren't considered errors.

The following sites have a comprehensive listing of doubled dies. In the future, check them for an EXACT match

Www.doubleddie.com
    Www.varietyvista.com

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

spend it it's worth 10 cents in the shape it's in

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '67 FS-101 doesn't seem to be much of a DDO. Kinda flimsy. PCGS recognizes it, as does NGC, but it appears only two have been graded by PCGS and both are AU53 (the OP shows the one Stacks sold in 5/19).

According to this website's description there is "medium spread on IN GOD WE TRUST, designer's initials (side by side), and date."

If you could find other examples it may be possible to look for common traits (e.g., is the weak W in IGWT typical?). Below is a comparison of OP's coin and the Stacks' one.

Even if it were determined to be an FS-101, based on the condition of the dime and considering the cost to get it certified, I'd be surprised if there was much of a spread if hoping to flip (and assuming you could find a buyer).

I'd probably stick in a flip and mark it "FS-101?" and never look at it again.
    Lance.

• Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    The '67 FS-101 doesn't seem to be much of a DDO. Kinda flimsy. PCGS recognizes it, as does NGC, but it appears only two have been graded by PCGS and both are AU53 (the OP shows the one Stacks sold in 5/19).

According to this website's description there is "medium spread on IN GOD WE TRUST, designer's initials (side by side), and date."

If you could find other examples it may be possible to look for common traits (e.g., is the weak W in IGWT typical?). Below is a comparison of OP's coin and the Stacks' one.

Even if it were determined to be an FS-101, based on the condition of the dime and considering the cost to get it certified, I'd be surprised if there was much of a spread if hoping to flip (and assuming you could find a buyer).

I'd probably stick in a flip and mark it "FS-101?" and never look at it again.
    Lance.

Thanks for explaining this to me. Much appreciated!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file