Home Precious Metals
Options

New addition to the RMS family

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mom was from Lawton, OK, so when she moved north after college in the early 1970s she opened an Indian jewelry store selling old pawn jewelry she got on her trips back home. I grew up in the shop, which later shared the space with a coin shop--you can see where this is leading :D

I had the chance to pick up those great mid-century silver and turquoise cufflinks several months back. What drew me to them, aside from the dark blue stone and tribal design, was the artist's substantial signature. It's clear this silversmith, who is listed in Hougart's Mexican silver hallmarks book, took unusual pride in his pieces. And while it's not unusual for pre-eagle mark silversmiths to have elaborate hallmarks, this guy meant business and put it out there for everyone to see. I really like that.

Hand Made
Guaranteed
Sterling

Guad Mex (Guadalajara, Mexico)
RMS

with the additional
**REAL TURQUOISE **
stamp.

He wanted everyone to know his pieces were really hand made, they were really full sterling silver, and the turquoise was real, too.

So here's the newest addition. A circa 1940-1950 belt buckle of a Vaquero (Mexican cowboy) trying to tame a mustang under a blazing Mexican sun. Beefy piece, at about 42 grams. And fully hallmarked with RMS's elaborate mark. There are a dozen other Mexican silversmith whose pieces command huge premiums and who are highly collectible. Some of their stuff is really beautiful, too. But I think this guy's stuff is special. Almost an outsider / folk art sentiment but a desire to be taken deadly seriously.

And the RMS collection to date:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments