Home Sports Talk

Almost no current season baseball chat on here

stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost no current season baseball chat on here. Quite remarkable for early August when the pennant race excitement would normally begin blossoming for fans with their teams in contention.

Well it's been a year of uncharted waters out there, and it's still not settled yet. So we shall see what happens.

I remain optimistic, but it's not always easy to do. :|

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lost so much interest in MLB before the Covid and now with the Red Sox going overboard political and fielding g a joke of a team my interest is at a record low. I do miss the heated Sox/Yankee rivalry trash talk here though 🤷‍♂️

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a tough season to get excited about. The closer to the playoffs the more interest there will be. Potentially 16 cities involved could be lots of fun come October....

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to start up a MLB thread, but it was just too much maintenance. The oil fees were ridiculous.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    It’s a tough season to get excited about. The closer to the playoffs the more interest there will be. Potentially 16 cities involved could be lots of fun come October....

You may very well be right.

Frankly though, in my opinion, MLB lost its "national pastime" designation a long time ago. Replaced by NFL and NCAA football.

MLB better be careful. I'm not rooting against it, but if they don't smarten up, they could lose their designation as a thriving business.

@perkdog said:
    I lost so much interest in MLB before the Covid and now with the Red Sox going overboard political and fielding g a joke of a team my interest is at a record low. I do miss the heated Sox/Yankee rivalry trash talk here though 🤷‍♂️

That's a lot of the fun with sports - trash talk. I was doing that as a very young kid, even before i knew the meaning of it. Trash talk just came natural as a sports fan. LOL

Even trash talk among fellow team fans as to the better players at the various positions, if the manger is competent, etc. To me it's all entertainment and in good fun.

I even know some sports fans who sometimes trash their team's coach, even though he's the greatest NFL head football coach of all time. ;)

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they just played pepper I'd probably be more interested.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the covid impact, the politicization of MLB has pretty much killed the whole thing for me. The covid was a tornado that could not be avoided, the other...easily. Baseball and all other sports is supposed to be a place of happiness, excitement and fun...non of those 3 criteria have been met, nor will they be. They may limp along, but the season is total toast to me...and I couldn't care less who wins or loses, means nada to me.

I also think NFL and NCAA will be much abbreviated, if not cancelled all together.

I think most if not all sports fans fully understand the covid thing. I still believe they could have started the MLB season on time despite the covid, but i have no problem with the steps they took in delaying the season as far as my future interest in MLB.

However the silly rule changes and "other" negative chit was absolutely an unforced error, a shot in the foot so to speak, totally unnecessary to do, and unacceptable to many sports fans who don't want sports and politics mixed together.

These sports leagues had better smarten up before they kill the goose that lays the golden eggs - IE their loyal fans.

@DrBuster said:
    If they just played pepper I'd probably be more interested.

Pepper has a lot of action to it. :)

I want them to just take the anthem and flag right out of sporting venues altogether. Sports should be just sports, I’m talking no politics just like this forum. If a player talks about politics while are in uniform on air then he or she should get fined, end of discussion. Enough is enough.

@perkdog said:
    I want them to just take the anthem and flag right out of sporting venues altogether. Sports should be just sports, I’m talking no politics just like this forum. If a player talks about politics while are in uniform on air then he or she should get fined, end of discussion. Enough is enough.

Sadly it seems too many sports team owners are encouraging their players to make political statements on the field.

What's next...murals on the infield, banners hanging on the goalposts, illustrations on the backboard? I'm joking of course but i have to believe at least some of these owners have given that some thought.

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Sadly it seems too many sports team owners are encouraging their players to make political statements on the field.

What's next...murals on the infield, banners hanging on the goalposts, illustrations on the backboard? I'm joking of course but i have to believe at least some of these owners have given that some thought.

Yea outfield facades are soon going to look like Seattle Graffiti

edited August 7, 2020 8:25AM

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Yea outfield facades are soon going to look like Seattle Graffiti

Maybe instead of a bat day or cap day at the ballpark, they'll have a paint spray can day.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much politics. It's a turnoff.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I think most if not all sports fans fully understand the covid thing. I still believe they could have started the MLB season on time despite the covid, but i have no problem with the steps they took in delaying the season as far as my future interest in MLB.

However the silly rule changes and "other" negative chit was absolutely an unforced error, a shot in the foot so to speak, totally unnecessary to do, and unacceptable to many sports fans who don't want sports and politics mixed together.

These sports leagues had better smarten up before they kill the goose that lays the golden eggs - IE their loyal fans.

I think you’ll look back, when all is said and done, and view the MLB response as politically mild when compared to the as yet unseen NFL version.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stevek said:

I think you’ll look back, when all is said and done, and view the MLB response as politically mild when compared to the as yet unseen NFL version.

Nothing will compare to the NBA. ( I Hope )

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm somewhat of a traditionalist (dinosaur). Always wanted to have just a game devoid of anything that distracts from the game. Had to accept/get used to the expansion of playoffs. But this was still a game related change. I can understand someones having to express their issues, their right, just would rather see it on a different platform. The old phrase "there is a time and a place for everything"" applies here. The fact that a captive audience exists with on site ticket holders and to a lesser degree the TV audience, I can see why it is used. I've watched a partial baseball game and basketball game. I doubt I will be in a must see mode for the rest of the year. Here's hoping next year we will see more of what we had become used to, before this years circumstances came about.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    In addition to the covid impact, the politicization of MLB has pretty much killed the whole thing for me. The covid was a tornado that could not be avoided, the other...easily. Baseball and all other sports is supposed to be a place of happiness, excitement and fun...non of those 3 criteria have been met, nor will they be. They may limp along, but the season is total toast to me...and I couldn't care less who wins or loses, means nada to me.

I also think NFL and NCAA will be much abbreviated, if not cancelled all together.

I agree, COVID certainly hurt. But, for me, I don't like all the politicization and social commentary that is now really leading stories about pro sports. I believe everyone has their right to their opinion. But I watch sports for the excitement and simpleness of it. I root for my team, you root for yours. In full honesty, I am opposed to kneeling for the national anthem as I don't think that helps and I would never do it. I am a veteran so maybe that was ingrained in me back then? . But that is just my opinion. I trust others have a right to theirs. But violence and rioting will not fix a danged thing. Let's just play ball!