Options

Who's the best current NFL coach/ best dead NFL coach

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 6, 2020 2:17PM in Sports Talk
  • That doesn't cheat...

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea about best current coach but I’d say Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, or Paul Brown for all time past great.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

You probably should add Don Shula to that list although I never cared for his attitude toward the Patriots near great season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    You probably should add Don Shula to that list although I never cared for his attitude toward the Patriots near great season.

Shula publically disrespected Belichick.

IMO, BB's #1 goal is to break Shula's record.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll mention Tom (The Hat) Landry for the departed Dimeman.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

BB is the greatest current coach despite his "cheating" and only behind Lombardi, who is the greatest of all time. And it pains me to say so as I am no BB fan. Sorry, Paul ;)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honorable mention-Bud Grant

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m bias towards Sean McDermitt and the Bills management as a whole. Not flashy, not an offensive genius but a great defensive mind that has built a championship defense.
    Shula was on the rules committee and funny how he got things passed that helped the Dolphins.
    Lombardi was a genius in Green Bay but with that talent who knows? New Orleans didn’t help his image.
    Top 3 in any order
    Tom Landry
    Bill Walsh... changed the game with the west coast offense
    Don Coryell..... another game changer. Didn’t call him Air Coryell for nothing.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@robert67 said:
    BB is the greatest current coach despite his "cheating" and only behind Lombardi, who is the greatest of all time. And it pains me to say so as I am no BB fan. Sorry, Paul ;)

Haha it’s all good 🍻

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Bill B. for current and Bill Walsh for departed. I think we'd all be surprised as much as the "spygate" crap goes on across the league. I also think Jimmy Johnson could have been really great had he made it a long career with Cowboys. For the record, I don't like the guy.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe not the best, but George Allen stands out among those who should be considered. He had a talent for turning losers into winners. But...he pushed his teams so hard (even in the pre-season) that they sometimes ran out of gas by playoff time. Still....one of the greats.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Maybe not the best, but George Allen stands out among those who should be considered. He had a talent for turning losers into winners. But...he pushed his teams so hard (even in the pre-season) that they sometimes ran out of gas by playoff time. Still....one of the greats.

That’s because he always chose reliable veterans. Great coach though

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Hydrant said:

That’s because he always chose reliable veterans. Great coach though

Rookies were frowned upon, and had no place in a starting lineup.

• Options

I completely agree with you, 2deuces. And, of course, those reliable veterans were another reason why his teams sometimes just didn't have the energy to make it to the finish line during playoff time.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do remember reading on here a few of you saying the Chiefs would never win
    a Super Bowl with Andy Reid as head coach.
    Not saying he's the best but he did prove some of you wrong.
    And to be fair I was a critic of his in the past because of his questionable
    time management skills but now all's good. :)

• Options

@Darin said:

Well Patrick Mahomes happened lol

• Options
    edited August 8, 2020 4:05PM

Hank Stram was solid. I think his overriding strategy in close games was, "It's only one play away from winning and NEVER run that play until the time is right.". And that play might not even be used during the current game. One late 4th quarter surprise gamebreaker play approach. Genius.

• Options

@Darin said:

Andy has always been a very good football coach. These types will always be saddled with can’t win the big one, until they do.
    Remember Phil Mickelson early in his career was saddled with that label.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like Joe Gibbs is a good name to throw around in these discussions.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marv Levy for the Bills deserves honorable mention. Not everyone goes to 4 Super Bowls. Granted they lost them all, but at least he got them there to give them a chance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".