Home U.S. Coin Forum

Future Shows - When?

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just reading an email from Doug Winter who is pretty aware of the numismatic vibe and where we are headed.

Quote: "It seems pretty obvious to me that there will be no major shows in 2020 and quite possibly well into 2021. The market has adjusted quite nicely to this absence, with record prices in the bullion market clearly the engine driving things for now."

With what is happening in Florida, I am guessing FUN will be no fun as it is likely not to happen.

Thoughts?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too far out to say at this point, will dealers be happy with things as they are and not want to incur the show costs? Will an effective vaccine be ready by the end of the year? Lots of questions few answers.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the quote encapsulates the issue really well. Not a lot to be added.
    Spot is up, demand is up, youngins are getting hip to it and the Internet is hot.
    Oh, forgot, mustard use is down.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be a while!

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows will be back, but alot of it I think revolves around a virus vaccine

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll agree with Doug. That seems where its headed. We shall see

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:

Tom B can weigh in on this as can others with medical backgrounds, but, keep in mind that Covid is probably mutating as we speak and maybe a vaccine will not be applicable to all of the variants(?). Also the common cold is a coronavirus - why has there never been a vaccine for it? What does that say about the dozens to hundreds of Covid 19 vaccines currently in development?

I think covid is here to stay and many more to come. We will have to adapt to it, not the other way around, including how we collect/deal coins. We might be seeing the end of shows as we know them.

Best, Al

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:

Tom B can weigh in on this as can others with medical backgrounds, but, keep in mind that Covid is probably mutating as we speak and maybe a vaccine will not be applicable to all of the variants(?). Also the common cold is a coronavirus - why has there never been a vaccine for it? What does that say about the dozens to hundreds of Covid 19 vaccines currently in development?

I think covid is here to stay and many more to come. We will have to adapt to it, not the other way around, including how we collect/deal coins. We might be seeing the end of shows as we know them.

Best, Al

I dont think the end of shows is coming, I just think show promoters will have to learn different ways to do layouts and how to promote a safe environment.

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 9:23PM

As a pure guess, Summer 2021, since chances are by then many of us will have gotten vaccinated.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think shows will be returning... seems some small ones have been held recently. Might be a more restricted venue, but people are pushing to return to life.... I am seeing it here in a big way... but masks and distancing rules are being observed for the most part. Cheers, RickO

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received the final mailing of bourse applications for the 2021 FUN Show with payment due by August 15 (although it came with a pre-ANA cancellation cover letter). It appears that it is still on for the present -- mmmm, Florida during the low season.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file