Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1851 Proof 3 Cent Silver Certified by PCGS

During the July 2020 PCGS Las Vegas Members Only Show, a crossover was submitted to PCGS for on-site grading. We confirmed the dies matched the Elisaberg example previously graded PCGS PR66 and matched the plates for the Garrett coin, this coin is now graded PCGS PR63 with “Garrett-Maris” pedigree.

For the full story: https://www.pcgs.com/news/1851-proof-3-cent-silver-certified-by-pcgs

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice story.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Only 4 minted... wow.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because of the rarity of the issue, and so that the population reports do not list three examples, what was the service and the grade of the holder it was crossed from?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Proof Type One Three Cent Silver piece (which, at this point, means 1851) is an incredibly rare type coin. I was privileged to have purchased and placed the Eliasberg example, years after it was graded.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very cool coin!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 6:09PM

@MFeld said:
    A Proof Type One Three Cent Silver piece (which, at this point, means 1851) is an incredibly rare type coin. I was privileged to have purchased and placed the Eliasberg example, years after it was graded.

The provenance should be amended to include Mark Feld!

How would you recommend adding it to the text?

The Elisaberg Example – Purchased as part of the John H. Clapp Collection. Sold in the Bowers & Merena Louis E. Elisaberg Sale May 1996 as lot 859. The coin was graded PCGS PR66 and, accompanied by a Certified Acceptance Corporation sticker, was sold again in the Stack’s Bowers Galleries November 2012 Baltimore Sale, where it brought $176,250.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

The Elisaberg Example – Purchased as part of the John H. Clapp Collection. Sold in the Bowers & Merena Louis E. Elisaberg Sale May 1996 as lot 859. The coin was graded PCGS PR66 and, accompanied by a Certified Acceptance Corporation sticker, was sold again in the Stack’s Bowers Galleries November 2012 Baltimore Sale, where it brought $176,250.

Thank you, but I was working for Pinnacle Rarities at the time.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

The recent pedigree of the Eliasberg Example since 2012. It became the center piece of a Laura Sperber Legend’s Hall of Fame Three Cent Silver Proof set. The set was sold intact to D.L. Hansen in early 2018. The PR66 coin was the lone PCGS certified 1851 Proof until this PR63 coin was certified. The Eliasberg/Feld/Sperber Specimen resides in the Hansen Collection today.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2020 3:06AM

@Currin said:
    Eliasberg/Feld/Sperber Specimen resides in the Hansen Collection today.

Love it!

Here's fuller provenance:

• Nicholas Petry, Esq.
    • S.H. & H. Chapman (5/1893)
    • J.M. Clapp
    • John H. Clapp (sold intact in 1942)
    • Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr.
    • Mark Feld for Pinnacle Rarities
    • Laura Sperber
    • DL Hansen

There are two additional sales:

• Bowers & Merena 5/1996:859, $61,600
    • Stack’s/Bowers 11/2012:3034, $172,500
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin and story

• Options

@Currin said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

The recent pedigree of the Eliasberg Example since 2012. It became the center piece of a Laura Sperber Legend’s Hall of Fame Three Cent Silver Proof set. The set was sold intact to D.L. Hansen in early 2018. The PR66 coin was the lone PCGS certified 1851 Proof until this PR63 coin was certified. The Eliasberg/Feld/Sperber Specimen resides in the Hansen Collection today.

If memory serves me correctly, a large dealer (not mentioned above) bought the coin out of the Eliasberg sale. And since I was working for Pinnacle Rarities when I placed the coin, they, not I, should be included in any detailed provenance. But thank you.😉

• Options

@MFeld said:
    And since I was working for Pinnacle Rarities when I placed the coin, they, not I, should be included in any detailed provenance. But thank you.😉

How about "Mark Feld for Pinnacle Rarities"?

Generally, I like to note individual people when available. It makes the hobby history more personable.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:
    And since I was working for Pinnacle Rarities when I placed the coin, they, not I, should be included in any detailed provenance. But thank you.😉

Generally, I like to note individual people when available. It makes the hobby history more personable.

How about seeing if you can discover the name of the collector with whom I placed it? I think, but am not certain, that information might be available in a past auction offering of the coin.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2020 3:52AM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

How about seeing if you can discover the name of the collector with whom I placed it? I think, but am not certain, that information might be available in a past auction offering of the coin.

This is the only auction record I've found so far but it doesn't seem to have the info:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-2B8ML/1851-silver-three-cent-piece-proof-66-pcgs-cac-secure-holder

CoinFacts also doesn't seem to have that info, listing the following:

S.H. & H. Chapman “Nicholas Petry Collection” 5/1893 - J.M. Clapp Collection - John H. Clapp Collection, sold intact in 1942 - Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection - Bowers & Merena 5/1996:859, $61,600 - Stack’s/Bowers 11/2012:3034, $172,500

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1851-3cs/3696

Any tips on where else to look?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

This is the only auction record I've found so far but it doesn't seem to have the info:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-2B8ML/1851-silver-three-cent-piece-proof-66-pcgs-cac-secure-holder

CoinFacts also doesn't seem to have that info, listing the following:

S.H. & H. Chapman “Nicholas Petry Collection” 5/1893 - J.M. Clapp Collection - John H. Clapp Collection, sold intact in 1942 - Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection - Bowers & Merena 5/1996:859, $61,600 - Stack’s/Bowers 11/2012:3034, $172,500

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1851-3cs/3696

Any tips on where else to look?

Sorry for that - I had thought the information might be available, but apparently, it's not..

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is in amazing condition for a tiny piece of silver 169 years old....Very nice...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file