Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pawn Shop Stop... Day ll

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2020 2:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I decided to make a quick stop at a Pawn Shop today, since my favorite everyday B+M store was closed today. I'm sure glad I did! The owner was in a "giving" mood. Lol. He sold me these 17 Wartime Jefferson's for $20. Seems a tad high, until he through in a 40-roll of Dateless buffalo's! Wow, what fun in store when I get home after work. A few of the Wartime's are in decent shape to boot. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe some of those dateless buffalo nicks have partial dates... who knows what you will find.

----- kj
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

$20 for 17 war nickels isn’t high. They are worth $1.46 each at the moment. Nice that you got a roll of buffs too.

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Maybe some of those dateless buffalo nicks have partial dates... who knows what you will find.

Po-01???

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check that 1943 for the 1943/2 overdate variety. Magnification is definitely needed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

no nic-a-date until you make sure there are no doubled feather tips!

Collector, occasional seller

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did good with it

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020 7:32PM

@tincup said:
    Maybe some of those dateless buffalo nicks have partial dates...

You were right! Before I used the acid, I found 9 partial dates! Actually, the majority of the 9, are full dates. Check out the two Pictured below. ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im planning on dropping by one of those "buy silver" places tomorrow to see if they have any 90% silver to sale that might have more numismatic appeal!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did good. Check the silver nicks for laminations. They are a good source for that error. Also check the Buffs. for rotated reverses.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad deal at all... current silver price gives you $30 +/- a few cents worth of silver....so the Buffs were free.... Cheers, RickO

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey and I are both in the "Bring on that 1916 DDO with Nic-A-Date" club.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick-up!

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those nickels are pretty darn nice for "dateless".

@mr1874 said:

Joey and I are both in the "Bring on that 1916 DDO with Nic-A-Date" club.

Ran across two, "1916's". Jolted me momentarily but to no prevail. :/

My second stop! Can anyone guess what I paid for this acquisition? '44 mixed pds.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1.00

We all know what can be lurking inside, right? Lol. :D

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to guess $1.00, but it's taken. I'll bump to $1.25 :smile:

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    My second stop! Can anyone guess what I paid for this acquisition? '44 mixed pds.

Since you asked us to guess, I'm thinking it must be a low amount. Did you get them for face value?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2.50 for the roll of wheaties.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    edited August 5, 2020 4:31PM

$5. I was willing to pay that only because of the '44 d/d and d/s chance, and what I paid yesterday. Lol.

I would have said 3 bucks.

@Jimnight said:

I agree. Since he gave me a great deal the day before, I didn't have the heart to turn him down. :)

@joeykoins said:

@Jimnight said:

I agree. Since he gave me a great deal the day before, I didn't have the heart to turn him down. :)

Nice :)

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    $5. I was willing to pay that only because of the '44 d/d and d/s chance, and what I paid yesterday. Lol.

Went to the well one too many times... your first trip was a good one. At least you get the fun of going through them. Happy hunting!

edited August 5, 2020 8:01PM

Made a quick check through the 50 '44 wheats. Only using my loupe. Found 15 d's and 2 s's. I'll check with my scope when I get home for the prize/s.
    Also, the same with all the Wartime Jefferson's. Yet to examine those with my scope as well. The Dateless, nothing but full and partial dates. 9 in all. ;)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Need any more..... lol
    I swear they are unsearched😉

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did ok.. and are having some fun investigating the rolls. That's what it's about!

----- kj
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick ups👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Went through the D's and S's. Found out all the coins are in really terrible condition. about AG to Good at best. So even if I did find a 44 D/S or D/D, it probably wouldn't even be worth the premium of a variety. Oh well, did find a clipped. the 17 possible varieties, are pretty difficult to determine because of debris around the mint marks.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

War nickels have plenty of silver, but I wonder how much you can get for them. Has anyone sold nickels and how much in back of melt did you get?

Vplite99
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

War nickels have plenty of silver, but I wonder how much you can get for them. Has anyone sold nickels and how much in back of melt did you get?

Most dealers who dabble in bullion won't pay up for warnicks or 40% halves. A prominent dealer whose name I won't mention here once offered me a buck apiece for a whole ****load of 40% halves I offered him. The going serious buyer rate for 40% at the time was easily double that.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Get a better loupe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file