Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Visiting Las Vegas soon: Is Silver & Gold Pawn the best coin shop to visit?

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking to fill my mid-grade dansco type album with some of the toughies (like seated dollar types). Is this the best coin shop to visit (off- hours of course)?

Comments

• Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Not at all. I have been there twice and would rather spend the time looking on eBay for a coin than spend my hard earned cash there.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Agree....the stuff there is significantly overpriced

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard the place is small and the views onTV are angled to makr it look ksrger.

Also, the guys on TV are apparently rarely there.

If you watch the show then by all means stop in to take a look, though.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nothing like what people expect it to be that's for sure!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to Vegas many times.... Have never stopped in that shop...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

And remember..there's the price and there's THE PRICE. Use your loupe and know that a pawn shop wants your money. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

It's basically a tourist trap. It's in a seedy part of town between Stratosphere and Fremont St. If you buy there it's purely for the novelty of having transacted with them.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd follow the advice from your thread. :)

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought some good stuff from Sahara coin in Vegas on eBay. I've never been to their physical shop before.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

id like to visit gold & silver that's about it for them. to pricey because of the name, jmo

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a 'brand name', And you pay more for a brand name. It's not where I would go to do my buying. I tend to stay away from the trendy touristy hyped places.

----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

And remember... the shows you see are all scripted. Maybe you will be able to find some rarer varieties.... or not.

----- kj
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a "copper" 1943 cent I'd like to show the experts there. (It does stick to a magnet, but still...)
    I suppose SaraCoin is the place for me. I'm going to load up the truck and head to Las Vegasee.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're a fan of the show, definitely go and check it out. They do their filming early (before they open to the public). In terms of coins, they are HILARIOUSLY over priced. No informed collector would ever consider buying at their prices.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not, but it’s a total blast if you’re a fan of the show. Sort of surreal. My niece went a few years ago and she got her pic taken with Chumly. She was pretty sure he was stoned.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never been there but I did wind up buying one of those "Old Man" bullion pieces. :)

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to the local Wal-Mart with a lawn chair. Sit out in the parking lot with a small
    box for coins. After two hours you will be wealthier and better entertained. Most
    definately your time will be better spent.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest a trip to the Hoover Dam. Get there early and sign up for the full tour, assuming they are doing them right now...

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file