Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unique PDS Matte Proof Classic Commems!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2020 10:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Wow! The US Mint made what sounds like a unique PDS set of matte proof 1937 Daniel Boone Half Dollars.

The Philadelphia coin is being auctioned by Heritage and is up to $70,000 / $84,000 now!

These have sequential PCGS numbers so it's interesting it looks like the set is being broken up now.

Provenance for these includes: US Mint Chief Engraver John R. Sinnock; Abe Kosoff; Jerry Bauman; Anthony Swiatek

Here are the cert numbers:

From Walter Breen's observation, these are MS70 coins, but PCGS graded them all MS63.

Walter Breen wrote:

There is a set of the three 1937 coins with matte finish, which has been represented as matte proofs. These are extremely rare and show more detail than on the business strikes. These MS-70 coins must be seen to be fully appreciated. Each of them possesses a double strike with sharp squares letters — especially notable on the PIONEER YEAR inscription. In other words, there isn’t the usual roundness on the lettering, dates or mint marks

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2020 6:49PM

just when i am starting to think i know a few things, you guys & gals post amazing items like these!

for those that want to climb over these things, up-close and personal. p - d - s

edited to add:

ok. i've been a little bummed about seeing coins on the internet w/o full slab shots, even at places you'd think they would take the time but didn't. grrr - so i'm posting one for principle.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2020 6:43PM

Is it accurate to state that “the Mint” made them, even if not authorized or recorded and produced for the chief engraver?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited August 3, 2020 6:44PM

@MFeld said:
    Is it accurate to state that “the Mint” made them, even if not authorized and produced for the chief engraver?

Heritage says the following, emphasis mine.

The origin of the PDS set from which this proof originates has been researched by commemorative authority Anthony Swiatek with the conclusion that the coins were all struck at the Philadelphia Mint for Chief Engraver John R. Sinnock before the branch mint dies were shipped to their respective facilities.

If they were made in the Mint facilities, I think people generally say the coins were made by the Mint, even unauthorized "errors" and the like.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wise that they made them with this finish. First of all, it looks nice. Second of all, had they tried the brilliant finish that they were just starting to make a year earlier, chances are much of the background detail on the reverse would be wiped out by die polishing, as would Boone's left arm and other fine, low-relief detail.

The coins look antiqued. I wonder if they were made this way, or if that appearance was acquired over time.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 seems like an odd grade for these, as much as trophy coins get grade-flated...these seem to have been punished (for some reason).

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2020 7:34PM

@messydesk said:
    Wise that they made them with this finish. First of all, it looks nice. Second of all, had they tried the brilliant finish that they were just starting to make a year earlier, chances are much of the background detail on the reverse would be wiped out by die polishing, as would Boone's left arm and other fine, low-relief detail.

The coins look antiqued. I wonder if they were made this way, or if that appearance was acquired over time.

They were made that way as matte/sand-blast Proofs. There are a small number of other commemorative issues that were made the same way and also believed to have come from Sinnock.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@messydesk said:

They were made that way as matte/sand-blast Proofs. There are a small number of other commemorative issues that were made the same way and also believed to have come from Sinnock.

It’s a finish very similar to Mint medals of this period. I agree; it is very attractive on these commems.

• Options
    edited August 3, 2020 10:50PM

Are there any known collectors that might be going for these?

The major half dollar collections I've seen tend to focus around high grade toners.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020 4:10AM

Walter Breen wrote: "...These MS-70 coins must be seen to be fully appreciated..."

Yet they only achieved PR63...at least the Philly version.

Interesting pieces, but may not be on the up and up, considering their pedigree of the Mint Engraver and other prominent collectors. (Provenance for these includes: US Mint Chief Engraver John R. Sinnock; Abe Kosoff; Jerry Bauman; Anthony Swiatek)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive coins.... I am puzzled by the PR63 grade though... I guess I would have to see one in hand....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can say that the TPGs are all over the place on 20th Century British matte proofs, so that these got "63"s is not much of a surprise to me.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

On coins like that, does grade even matter?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgive me for being skeptical.
    You are telling me that each mint made one single matte proof, and that they all ended up at the same place? I don't buy it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    You are telling me that each mint made one single matte proof, and that they all ended up at the same place? I don't buy it.

Hopefully no one told you that. The linked article says: "..The origin of the PDS set from which this Proof originates has been researched by commemorative authority Anthony Swiatek with the conclusion that the coins were all struck at the Philadelphia Mint for Chief Engraver John R. Sinnock before the branch mint dies were shipped to their respective facilities."

• Options

@Smudge said:

Grade seems to matter for just about any and all coins, even if some of us think it shouldn't.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

If these had been "lost" over the years, they could have ended up at any local coin shop as "cleaned" uncs.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Hopefully no one told you that. The linked article says: "..The origin of the PDS set from which this Proof originates has been researched by commemorative authority Anthony Swiatek with the conclusion that the coins were all struck at the Philadelphia Mint for Chief Engraver John R. Sinnock before the branch mint dies were shipped to their respective facilities."

Yes I missed that in skimming the article. And four rumored sets?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020 9:38AM

I like the coin, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t remember Fess Parker being that ugly.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Smudge said:

Grade seems to matter for just about any and all coins, even if some of us think it shouldn't.

On coins like that grade does not matter. Cool coins

• Options

I have a feeling that some Commem collectors of high grade toned Commems are going to be surprised by the detail on a fully struck Boone!

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    I have a feeling that some Commem collectors of high grade toned Commems are going to be surprised by the detail on a fully struck Boone!

I have a feeling that if you’re objective and compare the detail on several business strikes, you’ll see that the Proofs don’t have such great detail, after all.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm skeptical. The surface looks unusual to be sure, but I find it odd that the Mint would choose to strike proof coins as "matte proof" in the 1930s rather than as brilliant proofs. Collectors largely disliked matte proof coins and preferred brilliant finishes. This is why there are a limited number of "satin" 1936 nickels. It is a also why the dies were polished so excessively that it is not uncommon to have finer elements polished away.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

I see a lot of broad declarations of opinions as fact, but the article and auction description offer no proof or an explanation of how Swiatek reached his conclusion. I do believe Swiatek to be reputable and an expert, but no one should be expected to take anyone's bold proclamation without evidence on a coin where the designation will mean tens of thousands of dollars or more potentially.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    I'm skeptical. The surface looks unusual to be sure, but I find it odd that the Mint would choose to strike proof coins as "matte proof" in the 1930s rather than as brilliant proofs. Collectors largely disliked matte proof coins and preferred brilliant finishes. This is why there are a limited number of "satin" 1936 nickels. It is a also why the dies were polished so excessively that it is not uncommon to have finer elements polished away.

If only four sets were struck, I'm not sure much thought would have been given to what collectors liked or disliked. Conjecture on my part.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 7:25PM

I wish RWB were here. I thought he came across evidence suggesting that double or multiple strikes for proof coins was a modern invention and that during this era and for earlier classic proofs the coins were struck once under unusually high pressure using a medal press. Breen frequently claimed doubly struck coins for many of his "proofs" including many that were later refuted so I don't put much faith in the double strike comment.

If you're watching Roger, please find a way to chime in.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    If only four sets were struck, I'm not sure much thought would have been given to what collectors liked or disliked. Conjecture on my part.

And I wonder, what evidence is there that four sets were produced?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Apparently it's just a rumor, so no evidence. I probably should have said "up to only four" for accuracy, but it wouldn't change my point.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Apparently it's just a rumor, so no evidence. I probably should have said "up to only four" for accuracy, but it wouldn't change my point.

I understood where you got the number “four” and agree with your point.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 8:48PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    I wish RWB were here. I thought he came across evidence suggesting that double or multiple strikes for proof coins was a modern invention and that during this era and for earlier classic proofs the coins were struck once under unusually high pressure using a medal press. Breen frequently claimed doubly struck coins for many of his "proofs" including many that were later refuted so I don't put much faith in the double strike comment.

If you're watching Roger, please find a way to chime in.

The easiest way to get his feedback is to post ATS.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 8:36PM

Someone PMed me. Apparently RWB has posted his views and considers the coins normal/trial strikes:

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/421311-boon-1937-commemorative-p-d-s-proofs-–-technical-corrections/

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 8:53PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    Someone PMed me. Apparently RWB has posted his views and considers the coins normal/trial strikes:

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/421311-boon-1937-commemorative-p-d-s-proofs-–-technical-corrections/

Nice write up by Roger.

He has some info on how they were made.

Here's the summary:

the coins were NOT some kind of secret off-the-books production, nor were they sold to influential collectors. The sandblast & antiqued coins were normal approval pieces made by John Sinnock for review by the Mint Director and Secretary of the Treasury. They were intended to show the commemorative design at its artistic best, and in a medallic presentation consistent with the desire of professional artists. These were normal test/trial pieces which do not appear on production records because they were not made for distribution or sale. (They would probably be mentioned in Engraving Department records, but those are almost all missing.)

So, still unique pieces. Not sure if they are "proof" or not. Since they were struck on medallic presses, the pressure was higher than standard coining presses.

Were these released by John Sinnock then, like how a lot of pieces were distributed through Barber's collection?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Nice write up by Roger.

Here's the summary:

the coins were NOT some kind of secret off-the-books production, nor were they sold to influential collectors. The sandblast & antiqued coins were normal approval pieces made by John Sinnock for review by the Mint Director and Secretary of the Treasury. They were intended to show the commemorative design at its artistic best, and in a medallic presentation consistent with the desire of professional artists. These were normal test/trial pieces which do not appear on production records because they were not made for distribution or sale. (They would probably be mentioned in Engraving Department records, but those are almost all missing.)

So, still unique pieces. Not sure if they are "proof" or not. Since they were struck on medallic presses, the pressure was higher than standard coining presses.

Were these released by John Sinnock then, like how a lot of pieces were distributed through Barber's collection?

Proofs were struck with medal presses. RWB opines that these were struck with normal dies. He says this was commonly done for trial strikes for most classic commemorative issues. If so, I think it would be more appropriate to designate these as specimens rather than matte proof, but I'm not sure the prefix really matters.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 10:14PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Nice write up by Roger.

Here's the summary:

Proofs were struck with medal presses. RWB opines that these were struck with normal dies. He says this was commonly done for trial strikes for most classic commemorative issues. If so, I think it would be more appropriate to designate these as specimens rather than matte proof, but I'm not sure the prefix really matters.

Since these were official strikings, I wonder what Sinnock called them?

Regardless of what they are called, I think these are even more special since they are official pieces made in the normal course of production.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2020 2:37AM

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Regardless of what they are called, I think these are even more special since they are official pieces made in the normal course of production.

I agree that the pieces are fascinating and worthy of a premium. I hesitate to use the word "official" though. RWB mentions that these are not included in official records since these weren't intended for distribution or sale. I think the term "trial strike" is best and is closer to a pattern than an "official" piece as I think most would define that term.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 11:30PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

I agree that the pieces are fascinating and worthy of a premium. I hesitate to use the word "official" though. RWB mentions that these are not including in official records since these weren't intended for distribution or sale. I think the term "trial strike" is best and is closer to a patten than an "official" piece as I think most would define that term.

We may have different definitions of "official". To me, official doesn't need to mean made for sale. Regarding Mint records, many records were destroyed at the direction of Mint Director Stella Hackel to comply with President Carter's government waste reduction program.

When Roger wrote the following, they are official to me. (emphasis mine)

The sandblast & antiqued coins were normal approval pieces made by John Sinnock for review by the Mint Director and Secretary of the Treasury.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 11:05PM

@MFeld - Do you think it matters value wise if these are designated as matte proofs rather than specimens? My gut tells me so, but I am curious as to an expert's opinion. I know some Redbook coins took off once designated regular issues rather than patterns (e.g. 1856 FE cent). I think these are closer to patterns than proof. Am I unreasonable in that position?

• Options

@Zoins said:
    The Philadelphia coin is being auctioned by Heritage and is up to $70,000 / $84,000 now!

Sold for $84,000.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    @MFeld - Do you think it matters value wise if these are designated as matte proofs rather than specimens? My gut tells me so, but I am curious as to an expert's opinion. I know some Redbook coins took off once designated regular issues rather than patterns (e.g. 1856 FE cent). I think these are closer to patterns than proof. Am I unreasonable in that position?

That’s a tough one for me, but in this case, I don’t think it matters. The coins appear to have been specially made, are quite distinctive, extremely rare and tied to mint personnel. That said, I don’t think you’re unreasonable in your position, though I’d call them “Specimens” before “Patterns”.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great info none the less. Out of his estate and moved from collection to collection. There it is. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@MFeld said:

@stockdude_ said:

I have a feeling that if you’re objective and compare the detail on several business strikes, you’ll see that the Proofs don’t have such great detail, after all.

I agree but i guess my point was i see a lot of poorly struck Commems that people go ga ga over probably because of the toning. Ive had Boones that were at least as well struck as these Commems ( did i spell ga ga correctly ? )

• Options

@stockdude_ said:

@MFeld said:

@stockdude_ said:

I agree but i guess my point was i see a lot of poorly struck Commems that people go ga ga over probably because of the toning. Ive had Boones that were at least as well struck as these Commems ( did i spell ga ga correctly ? )

Do you have pics :)

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are really cool pieces of numismatic history, never heard of them before. I think the grades assigned may be appropriate though. Typically proofs and medals are graded not by contact marks but imperfections and problems. All three of these pieces show dark spots and specs which will hurt the grade of the coin. In reality if they are unique, then who really cares about the grades assigned. It's not like another one is going to show up and grade higher than these three, to me the grade on these is just not that important.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file