Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thought I would share my work in progress.

This is my Dansco 7070 I’ve been working on for about 2 maybe 3 years. I am 16 so my budget is limited however I do hope to upgrade a few of these coins cough cough many on the first page

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, well done! Way better than me. I’ve never done a 7070.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Was the 1909 slabbed?

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed looking at your "work in progress". I have two, the first one I worked on for 30 years (updating coins as I went). The gold was the last thing I finished. My 2nd one isn't quite as high in grade and doesn't have the gold, but I enjoyed working on it. In fact, it's probably the most enjoyable thing I have done while in this hobby for so many years.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@csdot said:
    Was the 1909 slabbed?

No. I got it from my local coin shop for melt plus 2% this was when gold was around 1450-1500. If it makes any difference it’s an 1909 s.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2020 7:23PM

accidental duplicate post.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressed by your accomplishment so far. Thanks for sharing your collection. C u around. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 7:31PM

I really enjoyed doing the 7070 Type Set album when I got back into the hobby with my kids. Great way to enjoy what's out there and to hopefully learn some history. You are well ahead of anything I could have pulled together at 16. Congratulations!!

I am currently working on both series designed by ASG, both the $10s (Indians) and $20s (no 1909 yet).

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=134591

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=185712

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a great start for such a young age! And you have some nice coins you won't have to upgrade for a while if at all. (based on the images)

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Nice set. I was collecting from pocket change at 16.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 10:46PM

“WOW” says it all! You should be VERY proud!

I wish my kids or grandchildren had your interest in this wonderful hobby. Since none of them do, my collection will be sold at some point. Too bad, as I’d love to have passed it down.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excessively cool

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a great set and something you should cherish for a long time. I would suggest “upgrading” in another album. Keep your first set the way you made it in your youth (man, I must be getting old).

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice collection.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very impressive... a really nice set....My coins were in a drawer with socks at your age. Did not even know about an album then. Great work....Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set! Nicely matched.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's impressive, doubly so for a teenager, nice!!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive! Congratulations!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. And only a few more coins to go. Very impressive at only 16. keep up the good work!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's wicked nice I like

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really impressed. I love it that you are so inspired at your age. Would you share who have been your mentors or what led you to undertake this journey?

Bravo, young man!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

I though it was impressive before I even saw the gold page, well done and good luck on the rest!

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do agree with @ShaunBC5 Keep your first book in tact and up grade in a new folder. I wish I still had some of the first ones I started with! You have some great lookin coins!

Ken
  • Options
    Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

This looks fantastic!! Good job man. To have this much collected at 16 is impressive.

• Options

@Catbert said:
    I'm really impressed. I love it that you are so inspired at your age. Would you share who have been your mentors or what led you to undertake this journey?

Bravo, young man!

I don’t really have any mentors, but I was inspired to start collecting because both of my grandpas collected and one of my great grandpas and once I started I was hooked.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow nice set at 16 years old that pretty impressive. I’m 15 and I know I won’t have a set as nice as that when I’m 16.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was around 10, I started on a 19th Century Type in a Whitman Deluxe folder. By the time I was 16, it wasn't close to what you have. Keep up the hard work.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy sheeeeeebiscuits!!!!!!!

Nice 7070 . . . . . .!!!!!

Best collection in the world to do . . . .and you have killed it so far !!!!!!!

Drunner

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Much more complete than my 7070- and you have the gold page!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2020 11:34AM

Wow!

I'd send in the 1877 20$ just verify it's legit, seems off to me. Maybe its my old eyes. You can always crack it and put it back in the folder ;)

Exactly what @MASSU2 , and seriously impressive for your age.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. This is the essence of collecting. I have a 7070 that is about 1/3 full. I'm feeling slightly inspired to start again. Sometimes it's nice to collect raw.

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice set you have going, especially the gold page. I just broke up a 7070 and the four commemorative halves you have there are the same one I put in my set. I really want to to get my set started up again.

• Options

@marcmoish said:
    Wow!

I'd send in the 1877 20$ just verify it's legit, seems off to me. Maybe its my old eyes. You can always crack it and put it back in the folder ;)

Exactly what @MASSU2 , and seriously impressive for your age.

I’m not worried about the authenticity. I got it from apmex.

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most excellent!!. Impressive for any age level.

• Options
    PacificWRPacificWR Posts: 43 ✭✭

Very nice. What a start. Keep up the good work.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

This is a great accomplishment!!! I am picking up a coin for my 7070 every couple of weeks and I will be nowhere close to what you have already. Great job

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice great looking 7070 set B)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several of the photos could stand to have the brightness adjusted up. That notwithstanding, congrats on assembling a nice-looking set!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive young brother👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really like your 1853 A&R half. Keep plugging.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Well done......wish I had done a Dansco when I was younger. I used a cigar box to hold my coins.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

All I can say is "WOW!!!". One of these days, I'll try putting something like that together (minus the gold page, unfortunately). I have one of those framed "20th Century Type Sets", and others back thru the mid-1800's, but nothing like what you have in the way of large cents, half-dimes, etc. Impressive! :o

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic type set!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding set! Very good eye for originality, looking forward to future updates

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

You appear to be a coin collector. Welcome to the club and great start. You are waaaay beyond what I had at your age, so congrats and keep us posted to your new picks. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file