Home Sports Talk
Options

The Red Sox implosion

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better this season had never started. Big changes for the Red Sox and serious medical stuff will find the Red Sox struggling to break .500. Rodriguez gone for the season with heart issues, as is Sale, with Tommy John coming his way. Price is gone, and I'm glad he is...he deserved to be on the Timlin bus...overrated and underperformed. Eovaldi is just one guy, gotta have more depth than him.
Of course, one Chaim Bloom, the head guy on Yawkey Way, makes it sound like all be well...eventually. To say less would be to undermine his cherry job at the Red Sox.

I think it'll be some time before the team is a viable competitor, maybe years of drought ahead. The Fenway Faithful will have to dig up some serious patience while rebuilding is undoubtedly well underway. I happened upon the Yankees-Red Sox game yesterday, just in time to see the Grand Slam...click.

Football should be interesting.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 7:05AM

I have literally zero desire to watch the Sox or any MLB since they decided to get in on the extreme political side of things.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I have literally zero desire to watch the Sox or any MLB since they decided to get in on the extreme political side of things.

Do they still play baseball in America or is it a political debate that breaks out into a baseball game?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 9:58AM

Maybe the Sox will go back to the gold old days, when you could actually buy tickets to go to game, and the whole of Fenway Park was not sold out. I have read that the crowds got as low as less than 2,000 for a couple games in the early 1960s.

Yes, the Red Sox on going to be on the hungry line for a few seasons at least.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭

I remember going to games in the early 60.s and paying for cheap seats and sitting in the best seats. Parking was always available in back of the green monster too. I would not go to a game now even if I still lived there which I don't.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either way, I love Fenway. It's a treasure.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried. I tried. I just, I just can't.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Have you ever been to Camden Yards? It’s got Fenway beat in every way. New England’ fans need to go to a modern facility.

Fenway is okay of you are in the box seats or down the left field line. The right field seats are at a bad angle, sometimes you end out looking through a girder. I’ve been in deep right field, but I never sat in the new seats above the monster.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@thisistheshow said:

Have you ever been to Camden Yards? It’s got Fenway beat in every way. New England’ fans need to go to a modern facility.

Fenway is okay of you are in the box seats or down the left field line. The right field seats are at a bad angle, sometimes you end out looking through a girder. I’ve been in deep right field, but I never sat in the new seats above the monster.

Never been to Camden. I'd love to.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pitching, pitching, pitching. Sox now in last place in the AL East.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@BillJones said:

@thisistheshow said:

Never been to Camden. I'd love to.

Once. It was a joy to watch a game there.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Starting pitching.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:

I couldn't agree more Paul. I only posted when I caught a sports comment about Rodriguez...then, out of curiosity checked a Red Sox link and learned about Sale and other issues. I am beyond disgusted at the political BS that is now rife within professional sports...and do not plan to watch any games that include such nonsense. Professional sports, or sports of any kind for that matter should be totally transparent to any of this craziness.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

I couldn't agree more Paul. I only posted when I caught a sports comment about Rodriguez...then, out of curiosity checked a Red Sox link and learned about Sale and other issues. I am beyond disgusted at the political BS that is now rife within professional sports...and do not plan to watch any games that include such nonsense. Professional sports, or sports of any kind for that matter should be totally transparent to any of this craziness.

Totally agreed Al. It all started with Colin Kap. We all know where I stand on that so no need to re hash it out but the one thing I will state again that I’ve always said is Sports should be a relaxing event that you can sit down and enjoy and forget about all the nonsense that is going on in the world but unfortunately the media has destroyed that thought process and force feeds it down your throat unless you mute or channel surf A LOT while sitting down to watch a game.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was actually almost feeling bad for the Sox as the Yankees put the hurt on them over the weekend. At least they have some recent championships but they look like they'll be in the dumps for a while.

Daniel
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 6:36PM

Basten Sawwwks Caaack.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

This short season will be better forgotten for Red Sox fans.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2020 7:18AM

Well either way the Sox are not even trying to put together a competitive team this season. Now that they got Political I hope they don’t win another game the rest of this season.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

they all look like they dont even care

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember the pre-2004 mantra ?

There is always next year !

• Options

Observations of tonights Sox Yankees game.

!. Verdago is an excellent replacement for Betts who demanded the world to stay in Boston.

1. I'm glad Bradley is in his last year of his contract.

2. I hope there are some great pitchers in next years draft because the Sox are sure to get the first pick.

3. They need a real manager as this one will be worn out going to the mound.

I only watched part of the game as there was more important things to watch but I saw enough for these observations.

• Options

Well, its starts. Hembree and Workman gone to the Phillies for 2 starting pitchers.

• Options

Given the Phillies' management track record, they probably got two Cy Young Award candidates.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Given the Phillies' management track record, they probably got two Cy Young Award candidates.

given the sox track record , philly offered 2 cy young guys the sox refused and took a ball boy a tube of ben gay and some light bulbs

• Options

Betts replacement sure looks like a great player so far. I like his attitude along with Pillar's.

• Options

I wish the red sox would quit playing altogether , they can say its a boycott if they want as long as it ends

• Options

Na, I am enjoying watching them even when they lose as the more they lose this year the better pick they get in the draft. I do not watch the whole game though because they are pathetic this year.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Na, I am enjoying watching them even when they lose as the more they lose this year the better pick they get in the draft. I do not watch the whole game though because they are pathetic this year.

baseball draft isn't a thing.

• Options

Moreland accumulated 10 years in the big leagues the other day and then was moved to a new team and has a chance to make the playoffs. The Red Sox got 2 young pitchers in return which should benefit both teams. Hopefully the new GM can make some more good deals today. Dalbec came up to replace him and took the 1st base job and got his 1st hit in the majors and it was a home run.

• Options

I haven't watched, nor looked into any Red Sox activities this year. Simply put...tooo much politics, where none is needed. I just don't think baseball, or any other sport is the right venue to vent or support any political viewpoint or agenda.
    I am a firm believer that sports is to be enjoyed by all, no matter the sport, leave the BS outside the playing arena. It's like getting an ice cold hot dog, or a flat beer...both a distasteful.

I'm pretty sure the Red Sox are welded to last place. Whatever Chaim Bloom is doing, I have no clue. I did see that Moreland was traded...the only thing left of value is JBJ and maybe Vasquez. So, I guess they'll go on crunching their happy little sabermetric data and continue to do what they do, forever living in the Bill James theory of baseball and numbers. All those decimals and percentiles mean NADA to me...it's just a way to justify a move and should the move prove to be a bad one, they can always show untold volumes of data of what should have been.

I long for the days of yesteryear, the magic of Fenway, the thrill of watching a Yankees/Red Sox game there, Curt Gowdy, with his "hi neighbor, have a Gansett" ( a local Rhode Island beer) and those incredibly wonderful days at Hampton Beach, NH, listening to the broadcast on my little transistor radio. Priceless memories!!

What happened? Where did all the joy and kindness go?

• Options

I fondly remember those days too but unfortunately they are long gone. Todays players and management are a completely different breed I'm afraid. It's all about the money and I guess I understand but don't have to like it. I watch the start of games but lose interest quickly as the games get boring.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

My next door neighbor growing up was called up to the Sox and pitched last night. Mike Kickham. He flamed out for the giants in 2014 and stuck it out in the minors for the last 6 years. Finally made it back to the bigs. So any Sox fans watching please root for him to stick in the big league!

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

If he pitches well he will be guaranteed a job on the sox!

• Options

The Red Sox GM Chaim Bloom is doing a good job so far. He is bringing in some real talented players to make a team that will e worth watching next year and getting rid of the deadwood. If you don't believe me ask the Phillies who received 2 of the deadwood pitchers and gave away what appears to be a good pitcher and a young prospect or ask the Dodgers how they feel about losing a talented outfielder that has fire in his belly. Bloom is not done wheeling and dealing so this could be an interesting winter season. Did I mention the Sox are now able to wheel and deal as the trade limit has been taken care of .