Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which US coins can be specifically identified by looking at the reverse alone? See exclusions.

Comments

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 7:38AM

@numismapiddler said:

@numismapiddler said:

@Sweetpie said:
    2017, 2018 & 2019 Palladium Eagles

I am counting the reverse proof since it is easy to discern. I am not counting proof vs. MS finishes because you could not easily tell a low grade proof from a DCam PL MS coin.

I would assumed the eagle would be a dead give away since the 2018's would still be quite contrasting from the field, even in lower 68s. And a high PL MS version of the the eagle would be all "shiny"with no contrast.

Sorry, dont hv any MS PL to compare to.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure some 1872's have that characteristic.

@Sweetpie said:
    1877 Indian Cent.
    (Lower right leg of the "N" in ONE are weakly struck).

Interesting list btw.

• Options

There is a $10 but no one has got it yet.

1907 Wire Edge

1907 Wire Rim $10 Indian. Honorable Mention. Technically, yes, but I think it is hard to discern for a Yes. Much harder than the HR $20 I think.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@numismapiddler said:

@PerryHall said:
    1909-O Indian half eagle.

Yes. Only O mint $10 Indian.

You're thinking of the 1908-D No Motto $10 Eagle. ;)

1908 D No Motto $10 Indian - Yes. No motto and MM location nails it down to one possibility.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numismapiddler said:

@numismapiddler said:

@Smudge said:
    1859c 1860c Half Eagles.

No. Cannot determine date. Keep thinking along those lines though.

I may need to be corrected on this, but I think they only changed the reverse on the Philadelphia and San Francisco issues in 1859.

No changes, just poor reverse dies sent to Charlotte.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numismapiddler said:

1907 Wire Edge

1907 Wire Rim $10 Indian. Honorable Mention. Technically, yes, but I think it is hard to discern for a Yes. Much harder than the HR $20 I think.

Take a moment to look at a picture of a 1907 Wire Edge and a regular 1907 and let me know if you still feel the same way.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@numismapiddler said:

1921 P Morgan - No. Cannot determine date.
    1921 S Morgan - No. Cannot determine date.
    1921 D Morgan - Yes. Only D Morgan.

1921 Morgan dollars have a slightly different reverse design.

Thanks for posting this. I was not aware. I just looked at some Morgans I have and I'm not going to count it since the difference was not that easy to spot. initially. I can see it on close comparison though. Thanks again, even though not including these, I think this type of info really adds to the thread.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@numismapiddler said:

1907 Wire Edge

Take a moment to look at a picture of a 1907 Wire Edge and a regular 1907 and let me know if you still feel the same way.

With a mintage of only 500, I thought the 1907 Wire Edge was a pattern or an experimental striking rather than a regular issue. It does have a different appearance compared to the regular 1907 issue.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@numismapiddler said:

1907 Wire Edge

I found some photos in MS grades and, you are correct, it is very clear. Do you know if it still shows clearly in lower grades? No one seems to post their VF examples. :D

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm not going to count it since the difference was not that easy to spot. initially."

Your thread, your rules.
    Any TPG can tell a 1921 in P01 or worse & most collectors can also.
    You asked for coins that can be identified by reverse alone and the 1921's can.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@MFeld said:

@numismapiddler said:

1907 Wire Edge

With a mintage of only 500, I thought the 1907 Wire Edge was a pattern or an experimental striking rather than a regular issue. It does have a different appearance compared to the regular 1907 issue.

You are very possibly correct. But, Red Book seems to list it as a regular issue. I'm not sure what criteria old R.S. used to determine this, but I'm going to go with his call and not try to think too hard on it. :)

• Options

Maybe you should change the thread title to....
    Which US coins I can identify by looking at the reverse alone?

• Options

@numismapiddler said:

@MFeld said:

@numismapiddler said:

1907 Wire Edge

I found some photos in MS grades and, you are correct, it is very clear. Do you know if it still shows clearly in lower grades? No one seems to post their VF examples. :D

Below is a VF30, with VF being the lowest grade on the PCGS pop report.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/indian-eagles/eagles/1907-10-wire-rim-vf30-ngc/a/1219-5406.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@numismapiddler said:

@PerryHall said:

@MFeld said:

@numismapiddler said:

1907 Wire Edge

You are very possibly correct. But, Red Book seems to list it as a regular issue. I'm not sure what criteria old R.S. used to determine this, but I'm going to go with his call and not try to think too hard on it. :)

The Red Book also treats the 1856 Flying Eagle cent as a regular issue and it's definitely a pattern.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@numismapiddler said:

@MFeld said:

@numismapiddler said:

1907 Wire Edge

Below is a VF30, with VF being the lowest grade on the PCGS pop report.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/indian-eagles/eagles/1907-10-wire-rim-vf30-ngc/a/1219-5406.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Ok. Looks pretty clear to me.

1907 Wire Rim $10 Indian. Yes.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

1907D $5.00

• Options

@oldabeintx said:
    1907D $5.00

There's also a 1906-D $5.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Sorry, dude. Without magnification and/or comparison to a non-1921 I don't see it. I can see the thinner head and neck and the eagle's left wing tip when side by side with another, but on it's own it looks like the reverse of any other Morgan. Still a No - excluded as die markers.

If you have a constructive point to make you are welcome to, but don't be insulting.

Like you said - My thread, my rules.

• Options

@oldabeintx said:
    1907D $5.00

No. Could be a 1906 D $5 Liberty.

• Options

OK. I'm going to be AFK for awhile. Please continue on. I will try to return and post a summary of what we have this evening.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2020 9:34AM

Not trying to be insulting.

If you are trying to compile information for future reference wouldn't you want that information to be correct?

I and many others here can see the difference in the hub without magnification and in fact at a quick glance.

Here is your chance to pull your 1921 and another Morgan out and do a little research. ;)

Edited to add:
    In an attempt to be constructive I took the time to image both reverses.
    Check the arrow feathers.
    Check the gap between the A and the wing tip.
    There are other differences too if you look.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 8:37AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

1853O A/R 25c and 50c as well as P.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 8:37AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

WOW! 21's are very easy to tell apart from other Morgans from the reverse. Take a look at the Breast Feathers!

@numismapiddler said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Sorry, dude. Without magnification and/or comparison to a non-1921 I don't see it. I can see the thinner head and neck and the eagle's left wing tip when side by side with another, but on it's own it looks like the reverse of any other Morgan. Still a No - excluded as die markers.

If you have a constructive point to make you are welcome to, but don't be insulting.

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are two from the $20 Lib series:
    1879-O $20
    1861-S $20 Paquet

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

1922 no D 1 cent

Bob

• Options

1808 $2.50

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

1892 type 1 reverse quarters, all three mints.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    WOW! 21's are very easy to tell apart from other Morgans from the reverse. Take a look at the Breast Feathers!

@numismapiddler said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

With respect to just the breast feathers, what about 1878’s?

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

1796 25 cent, small eagle reverse.

Bob

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numismapiddler said:

@Sweetpie said:
    1877 Indian Cent.
    (Lower right leg of the "N" in ONE are weakly struck).

Interesting list btw.

Thanks. I'm going to say No on this one for now and call it a die marker. I think it could be moved to the Honorable Mention category since as I recall it is pretty easy to eyeball. I'm just not sure if there are other weak "N" coins in the series. Maybe someone expert on Indian Cents can comment?

There is also the 1871 and 1872 shallow N.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin I am suggesting may or may not fit given the framework provided... The 1971-s Ike type I proof. It is the only Proof Ike with that reverse. It may not fit only because the intent behind the mintage has not been established to the satisfaction of many. Some might suggest an error others might suggest it was the original design that was replaced after a few were struck while others don't notice the difference.

It exists... Seems it should be included.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Dexter 1804 $1.00. Well, kind of a stretch.

• Options

@oldabeintx said:
    Dexter 1804 $1.00. Well, kind of a stretch.

While not a die marker, it’s a “D” marker.😉

But on a serious note, that’s an alteration and just one example, not the entire issue, so clearly a no-go.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

1872 half dime mintmark above wreath?
    1875 dime mintmark above wreath?
    Two off the top of my head, but correct me if I'm wrong (wouldn't be a first for me :))
    Fun thread

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

cannot tell mints on those nickels

• Options

The only problem is there is a 79 reverse of 78.

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@numismapiddler said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 11:29AM

1879 CC/CC Morgan Dollar. CC was recut to different size and underlying was not completely removed. Most refer to it as the capped die.
    Oooops, sorry, does not make the grade per your parameters. So, the 1880 small cc's and reverse tail feathers of 79 wouldn't make the grade either. Certainly can identify by reverse alone. But, hey, it's your game!
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2020 1:03PM

@numismapiddler said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

You wrote
    "If the obverse was worn smooth and the reverse was clear could you identify it and slab the coin as a................"

Sorry I misunderstood you.
    The comment above makes it sound like a TPG would be involved and yes they could tell the difference.
    I stand by my comment that some clarification as to exactly what you are asking would help.

Do you want to know coins that can be easily identified by a beginning collector, an advanced collector or a TPG?

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

78CC Morgan

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

78 8TF Morgan also.

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:
    78CC Morgan

The 1880 CC also could have the 78 reverse. ;)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@morgandollar1878 said:
    78CC Morgan

The 1880 CC also could have the 78 reverse. ;)

Dang it, good catch. Forgot about that one. :)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 12:36PM

+1

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

1870-S silver dollar
    1870-S $3
    1796 quarter

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@numismapiddler said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

The only problem with using breast feathers is they may be worn (off) on a given coin. I don't know if the present discussion pertains only to MS or AU coins, but my impression was it does not.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

1854-D $3
    1854-O $3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file