Home Sports Talk

Hall of Fame or championship ring?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were an athlete which would you rather have? Now, pretend you can't have both, you can either be a player with a ring or you can be a hall of famer without winning the big one.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Championship Ring for Me!!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hall of fame 1000%. There are thousands of nobodies that rode the end of the bench and lucked into a ring. Everyone knows the best of the best. I would much rather have Ernie banks career than jim leyritz

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take your pick perkdog.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Championship Ring.

I can pawn it at Pawn Stars. Rick loves them.

@doubledragon said:
    Take your pick perkdog.

Any one of them! 😂😂😂👍👍

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hall of Fame because of what craig said.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hall of Fame - not even debatable.

I’m suprised I’m in the minority, I think a championship is the reason a game & season is played, to win it all and being a part of it is where it’s at. I wonder if guys like Dick Butkus or Ernie Banks would trade their HOF credentials for a taste of a championship. Definitely an interesting question

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hall of Fame.

That shows that you were a great player ... most of the time.

There are some clinkers in the Baseball Hall of Fame, like Candy Cummings who won a handful of games and was supposed to have invented the curve ball and Charles Comiskey, who should have been banned with the rest of the Black Sox, but by in large it’s an indicator of excellence.

Great players get championship rings too, but so do the benchwarmers who didn’t do much to make the team a success.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

I'd have to have the ring. I couldn't live with the thought of never having accomplished the ultimate goal in sports. After all, it's the reason the game is played in the first place, to win championships. So, perkdog, we'll ride this one out in our championship foxhole!

edited August 2, 2020 11:30AM

I was a great climber, but I never reached the summit of any mountain. No thanks.

@doubledragon said:
    I'd have to have the ring. I couldn't live with the thought of never having accomplished the ultimate goal in sports. After all, it's the reason the game is played in the first place, to win championships. So, perkdog, we'll ride this one out in our championship foxhole!

😂😂😂. Glad you got my back buddy 👍👍🍻

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

😂😂😂. Glad you got my back buddy 👍👍🍻

You got it buddy. It don't mean a thing without the bling! 🍻🍻

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I’m suprised I’m in the minority, I think a championship is the reason a game & season is played, to win it all and being a part of it is where it’s at. I wonder if guys like Dick Butkus or Ernie Banks would trade their HOF credentials for a taste of a championship. Definitely an interesting question

I see your point. There might be a little more options that given.

Do you really think Butkus would have traded his career for one year sitting on the bench as a backup linebacker who happened to play on a championship team?

I doubt it.

MAYBE if he was still a very good player who had a long and respected career, but not good enough for the HOF, but not as a player who contributed little to the championship.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I see your point. There might be a little more options that given.

Do you really think Butkus would have traded his career for one year sitting on the bench as a backup linebacker who happened to play on a championship team?

I doubt it.

MAYBE if he was still a very good player who had a long and respected career, but not good enough for the HOF, but not as a player who contributed little to the championship.

Well I should be clear, not a chance would I trade a lucrative HOF career for a one and done Season with a championship. I want the money and more money and the ring more than the money and more money and a Gold Jacket or Plaque.

I wonder if a star player like Dave Parker, who has two rings with two different teams....Would he trade them both to be in the Hall Of Fame?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I wonder if a star player like Dave Parker, who has two rings with two different teams....Would he trade them both to be in the Hall Of Fame?

This is a great question.

For the older players that didn't make (or manage) much money, getting in the HOF meant a LOT financially.

Harmon Killebrew (no championships) was not doing very well financially in his retirement, but when he got in, he was able to make money because of being a HOFer.

Parker was paid very well. His average salary was $1,000,000.00 from 1985-1991. Hopefully he is set up for life.

Parker was a big factor in 1979 and must have great memories from that, he was less of a factor in 1989 with Oakland, but I'm sure he still enjoyed it.

If I were him, it would bother me that I wasn't in the HOF as he did put up some very nice numbers. Certainly a better player than Harold Baines imo.

I would say HOF for Parker over the championships.

Let's compare that to one of Parker's teammates in 1979, Lee Lacy. A solid player who wasn't good enough to make the HOF.

Would he have rather been a "stud" of a player and given up his championship?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, this is a no-brainer. I would much rather be a HOFer. Way more money, way more exclusive group of players.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

you want to be here, trust me. i won't inundate this thread with pics..........just a dab of Chicago Bears goodness B)

i remember larceny entering my head when i saw Richard Dent's SB MVP helmet

@JoeBanzai said:

@coolstanley said:

This is a great question.

For the older players that didn't make (or manage) much money, getting in the HOF meant a LOT financially.

Harmon Killebrew (no championships) was not doing very well financially in his retirement, but when he got in, he was able to make money because of being a HOFer.

Parker was paid very well. His average salary was $1,000,000.00 from 1985-1991. Hopefully he is set up for life.

Parker was a big factor in 1979 and must have great memories from that, he was less of a factor in 1989 with Oakland, but I'm sure he still enjoyed it.

If I were him, it would bother me that I wasn't in the HOF as he did put up some very nice numbers. Certainly a better player than Harold Baines imo.

I would say HOF for Parker over the championships.

Let's compare that to one of Parker's teammates in 1979, Lee Lacy. A solid player who wasn't good enough to make the HOF.

Would he have rather been a "stud" of a player and given up his championship?

I agree HOF for Parker over the Championships. Although I'm sure the 79 ring would be hard to give up. That was a special team and what they went through that season. And he admired Willie so much.

But from the articles I have read, Parker is VERY passionate about making the HOF.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

HOF - because getting something later in life will carry you as you ride off into the sunset.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

How about this, would you rather go to the HOF or have your jersey/number retired? No you can't have both.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

@Estil said:
    How about this, would you rather go to the HOF or have your jersey/number retired? No you can't have both.

HOF 100%