Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up an Unattributed 1941 Proof Walking Liberty Half Dollar "No AW" for the set. PCGS PR65 CAC

ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess they missed the "No AW"... CAC missed it also... Checked another proof off the list.

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye,dude. They missed it but you didn't, good for you! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick-up!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, what would CAC do if they caught the No AW?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats...as you probably know, there are other WLH no initial dates which can be a challenge to find. The earliest that I know of is the 1918-D. There are some underappreciatd varieties in this series some are more available and known than others. The 1946 DDR is probably the most well known and that can be found when you least expect it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcarney1173 said:
    Out of curiosity, what would CAC do if they caught the No AW?

Probably nothing.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2020 12:52AM

@coinkat said:
    Congrats...as you probably know, there are other WLH no initial dates which can be a challenge...

Yes, you're right. I love to find the "self engraved" ones. Quite obvious to spot. Finding the coin is the challenge. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@coinkat said:
    Congrats...as you probably know, there are other WLH no initial dates which can be a challenge...

Yes, you're right. I love to find the "self engraved" ones. Quite obvious to spot. Finding the coin is the challenge. ;)

B)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have an image of my 1918-D I bought raw about 25 years ago and had attributed by ANACs and it graded AU53... A flat strike but that is typical for the variety. That was back in the day when ANACs was really the only game in town that would recognize certain varieties... Such as this one and even the 46 DDR

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, will you send it in for attribution? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick - Congrats!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice I like

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2020 8:57AM

Most 1941 proof halves are missing part or all of the designer initials. According to Roger Burdette in his research he showed that 2 of 4 reverse dies struck a large proportion of 1941 proof halves that likely had monogram polished off early in die life. Toughest part of the whole cent through half series is finding full detail coins with little die polish.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2020 9:07AM

Awesome, or better yet: _ _ESOME!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file