Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ever buy a coin just to STOP LOOKING ?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tellya, Frustration can be a bitch. You look for either a specific coin or a certain "look" and...AAARRRRGGGHHH! :#:s

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, just did it. I'd been searching for a certain variety for about 15 years and finally found one.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.... Either it is the one I want or I move on.....Cheers, RickO

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, because the reason I’m looking is to find the right one, not settle. That said, I have paid more for the right coin so I could stop looking.

Not a coin, but I’m hoping to do this with a model airplane soon. I’ve been looking for one that comes up maybe every few months, and the last one went sky high (I think because it was international, so I’m guessing international buyers who can’t get them from US sellers bid it up). I have a nuclear snipe set because I’d really love to just stop checking every day for one, and paying more than I’d ideally want to pay is worth it. But for this, they’re all the same. It’s not like a coin where each one is different.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, just bought a 67+ after looking for several months for a 66. Paid 3X what I wanted to pay but got tired of looking and ended up with a really nice coin. Sort of a reverse hole-filler?

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

And after you buy it, one shows up that’s a little better. AAAARRRRRRGGGHHH.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, there will always be another coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have.....more than once......

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, but then I buy what appeals to me and not for any particular uniformity or rules. It’s what works for me, I suppose. Thankfully (maybe?) a lot of things appeal to me so there’s never a lack of something that I want to buy.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did one time long ago. I actually bought a problem 1838-D $5. I never did like it . I kept it a few years and sold it for a profit.

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Was just thinking about doing that today, but now I think I will pass.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's either what I want or not.

• okiegirlokiegirl Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

I've been buying boxes of quarters for years and finally found a Wisconsin error, Extra Leaf High. Only took 6 years. But I did find about 50 "W" mint mark quarters along the way. Still on the hunt.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I never buy a coin just to "plug a hole", as it were. If the coin isn't special in some way, I don't want to own it. It helps that I'm collecting on multiple fronts. Chances are there's a worthy purchase candidate in at least one area of interest at any given time.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 5:47PM

I've done this before. Bought a coin, once, just to end my search. Got run up and paid dearly. Wasn't the best example but was VERY nice and CAC stickered, too. :p

Another time; I pulled the trigger on a coin that I HADN'T even been searching for but was a beautifully SCARCE example......It had it ALL. So, I 'COULDN'T' say 'no'. :|

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe once or twice... but I really try to hold out for an example that meets my 'requirements'. There are a couple right now that I've been trying to get for over a year - just can't find the right combo of grade/look/price...

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have also, a couple of times, and later regretted it.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    OK, I’m making believe I’m at an AA meeting, or a similar meeting, where I admit to bad behavior:

Yes, occasionally I make a novice error that I KNOW is not right, and somewhat costly - my head says “don’t do it”, but my emotions outweigh the logic. I have just a couple or so holes left in a set, and despite intense exhaustive searching, these don’t appear often. I then buy something to fill that hole, typically something in a slightly lower grade than my ideal, but with nice eye appeal. However, unfortunately sometimes in a slightly lower grade with not so nice eye appeal. I then always keep my eye open for the coin in the grade I really want, and it must then have real nice eye appeal, regardless of how long that takes.

When I eventually find the right coin, I then sell the “hole filler”, at a loss. I tell myself that’s ok, as that loss was my cost of having that hole filled for that period of time. YES, I agree this is NOT good or smart, and I would NEVER advise any collector to do that!

OK, I admitted it publicly. As such, maybe now I can stop doing that (or maybe not? 👿).

Wow, can sure identify with all that! A very rare coin that is difficult to find at all, such that a search takes years, is not one to pass on, imo, when it randomly shows up, just because it ain't "perfect" for your challenging set.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, too many wonderful other coins to pursue if this one isn't readily available. But I have made purchases that I have regretted and from which I have learned to hopefully not repeat. I think every collector has to make some mistakes (and to experience selling those mistakes) to learn in this hobby.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just did one today. :D
    I was kvetching about stupid PRICING and got tired of it.
    I think I got what I want at a ...well....reasonable price and I base that on search results.
    When I get it, I'll know if my search is over. :)

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, of course. Just bought two of the same coin off ebay.............haven't seen even one come up in 10 years and then BAM, two at once. Bought them both and now don't have to look anymore....
    PS: nothing earth shattering or expensive (world coin)
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too much on coins, but I definitely do it with fountain pens :D

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    No, because the reason I’m looking is to find the right one, not settle. That said, I have paid more for the right coin so I could stop looking.

Not a coin, but I’m hoping to do this with a model airplane soon. I’ve been looking for one that comes up maybe every few months, and the last one went sky high (I think because it was international, so I’m guessing international buyers who can’t get them from US sellers bid it up). I have a nuclear snipe set because I’d really love to just stop checking every day for one, and paying more than I’d ideally want to pay is worth it. But for this, they’re all the same. It’s not like a coin where each one is different.

After the auction would you care to share, I have an interest in model planes? I have a few kits that I picked up many years ago that a woman was selling after her husband past. I believe from the fifties. You can PM if you like.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, there's something nice about being able to say no but thanks for showing it to me. The hunt continues no matter what. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:

@airplanenut said:

After the auction would you care to share, I have an interest in model planes? I have a few kits that I picked up many years ago that a woman was selling after her husband past. I believe from the fifties. You can PM if you like.

Sure, though you might have to remind me. Just better hope I win or you’ll keep wondering.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

When I was at a show I always figured if I went back to the same table to look at a coin three times I might as well just buy it.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No I have not.
    I have made bad purchases but not because I was tired of looking.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file