Home U.S. Coin Forum

Secondary Toning - Flowing Hair Half

KSorboKSorbo Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2020 7:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

After receiving some helpful feedback on the Bust Dime I posted earlier, I have another surface related question on a 1795 half dollar, a lowly G4.

Below are the seller’s photos (GC) followed by some photos I took with different lighting. As you can see the coin is basically grey, but when it is viewed under certain conditions that I was not able to capture in my photos, there is even a hint of peripheral rainbow toning, suggesting that it was cleaned and retoned at some point.

The toning overall seems a bit “milky” or “hazy”, particularly when light is shined on it from an angle. With that said it does not appear to have corroded the surface. Also, the white spot on the cheek is a scuff mark from handling, not toning.

Just as with my earlier post, my question is regarding the potential for the coin to have “turned in the holder”, and if that were the case, whether the toning is still market acceptable. I realise that with a G4 grade there may be more allowances, but given its high value compared with other coins in my collection, I want to be sure.

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 8:03PM

I have to say, the beach photos were unexpected.

As for the coin, the toning looks natural for a coin of this era. It likely is secondary toning as coins actually in circulation had most of their toning (tarnish) gradually rubbed off as they went and a great many were dipped at one point. Despite that, this coin probably looked exactly like this when it went in the holder.

The idea of a coin “turning” in the holder usually applies to recently dipped coins that weren’t properly rinsed or neutralized. It can also happen from PVC or putty that wasn’t visible at the time of slabbing.

There’s a lot to like here for the assigned grade. Cool piece of history and commerce that did its job well.

• KSorboKSorbo Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I have to say, the beach photos were unexpected.

Thank you for your feedback! At least someone got to see the beach photos before I was able to edit:-)

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it! Nice dude. B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin likely looked exactly the same when PCGS graded it and will look the same for many years to come.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice old coin.... and I do not see it changing in the holder in most of our lifetimes. What beach photo's??? I guess I got here too late... :'( Oh well...Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lightly dipped and stripped in deluded bleach a couple of decades ago. I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of detail for a G4.

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks good. It's been in that holder almost 15 years at least. Nice G4.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Lightly dipped and stripped in deluded bleach a couple of decades ago. I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of detail for a G4.

I am thinking my G4 OGH may be an upgrade candidate :D

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice 1795!
    I really like the grade!!

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Real nice 1795!
    I really like the grade!!

:)

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 6:59PM

If you like the coin, that's all that matters. It is hard to determine exactly what happened with a 225 year old coin.

The coin is T-13 using Steve Tompkins great reference book, and O-125 Overton. Tompkins has the rarity a very scarce R-4, 81-200 estimated survivors, not worth any rarity premium over type. It does have VG central details of Liberty and Eagle, but PCGS grades coins of lower grade ranges with remaining rim and peripheral detail, your coin has worn obverse rims and stars.

I have two 1795 T-13's, one is an error coin plated on page 407 of Tompkins, a huge de-lamination void through the date. The other is PCGS AG3 which also has VG central details but weak rim detail:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • KSorboKSorbo Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:
    If you like the coin, that's all that matters. It is hard to determine exactly what happened with a 225 year old coin.

The coin is T-13 using Steve Tompkins great reference book, and O-125 Overton. Tompkins has the rarity a very scarce R-4, 81-200 estimated survivors, not worth any rarity premium over type. It does have VG central details of Liberty and Eagle, but PCGS grades coins of lower grade ranges with remaining rim and peripheral detail, your coin has worn obverse rims and stars.

I have two 1795 T-13's, one is an error coin plated on page 407 of Tompkins, a huge de-lamination void through the date. The other is PCGS AG3 which also has VG central details but weak rim detail:

Thanks for the attribution!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file