Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got my submission back from PCGS. Only 1 of 3 straight graded...ouch!

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2020 5:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I haven't submitted coins in a while but no excuse. I should of did a much better job screening them. Especially the 1876-CC, it obviously had some surface marks but I got too excited. The 1871 half dime was a surprise, though. I thought at least a MS63. I did well on the 1891-S, graded MS64!. Bought that one several years ago from an ebay BIN from seller in England for $110.

Got one of the new black PCGS boxes, though lol!

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't that a meatloaf song? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you see where it was smoothed? I can't tell anything from the photos. The 91-S is really nice.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Can you see where it was smoothed? I can't tell anything from the photos. The 91-S is really nice.

I believe on the left of the date. Let me get a clearer picture. These are lousy cell phone pics.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one nice 1891s! Congrats on that one at least.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Wasn't that a meatloaf song? Peace Roy

I think it was "two out of three!"

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, looks like 9:00 and 2:00 on the obverse got the ole eraser.

Before you send in future coins now you know what to be looking for. Keep in mind PCGS graders are probably using a light source much better than your own. Always look things over with a loupe then rotate the coin 90 degrees and do it again.

Your coins may be valuable enough that even when suspect they have to be graded to confirm for value's sake.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 8:19PM

Boy 'o boy, I feel for you buddy. I want to cry for you. Like you already know and been told, at least you do have that one beaute! Nice coin, maybe even that one should of gone one step up? Oh well, sorry dude. I too, am waiting for some coins to arrive. Now, you really got me worried, particular on my most highly anticipated one. Hands shaking right now. Lol

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough situation... at least authentic....Your second picture of the half dime is excellent... can really see the details with great clarity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Smoothed" equals whizzed, lack of luster. Grading is independent of our biases, so can carry unwanted surprises.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Tough situation... at least authentic....Your second picture of the half dime is excellent... can really see the details with great clarity. Cheers, RickO

Thanks! I shot that one with my Samsung S10+ phone through a 10x loupe.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx for posting. A real lesson for many of us.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry about your results, but that 1891 is fantastic looking!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 9:17AM

1/3 isn’t as bad as it appears. The 1891-S has a book value of ~$900. You spent ~$100 in total to add $800 of value to the quarter plus you still have the 2 details graded coins. If you go 100% on raw coin submissions you’re being too selective and not sending in enough.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    1/3 isn’t as bad as it appears. The 1891-S has a book value of ~$900. You spent ~$100 in total to add $800 of value to the quarter plus you still have the 2 details graded coins. If you go 100% on raw coin submissions you’re being too selective and not sending in enough.

Yes the quarter saved the submission for me. It's a stunner in hand!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 91 s I like

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I think that 76 has a wicked cool die crack

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

still, nice stuff!

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file