Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fine Line Here - My "turning brown" PCGS Lincoln, I want to accelerate the brown, but not be a Dr.

JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1944-D PCGS-67 Red Lincoln (picture below). It used to be red. It and some of its similarly turning brethren are why I stopped buying red Lincolns 15 years ago. I'd like the coin to hurry up and "get all brown". I put it in a wooden box for the last 3 years hoping some of the chemicals/air from the wood might aid in the process. Not a bit though. I don't want to cook it. I don't want to crack it. Are there any Almanac-type remedies out there? If I crack it out, are there any browning accelerants that don't constitute AT? What about the window sill (it works for everything else)? Or am I just SOL? I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

Comments

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

What red cents I have seen, that have acquired brown toning, have also lost some of their luster. I don't see why you would want to take away from what it is now.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell it and buy a brown one. There aren't any 67BN graded, though.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I correct that the pops are not showing any browns in 67?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

This begs the questions: What happens when some of the 67RDs turn brown? Do they have to change the population census? If submitted later for regrading, would it be knocked down to a 66BN? Would people pay more or less when a red coin turns brown in the holder?

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mothra454 said:

@messydesk said:

This begs the questions: What happens when some of the 67RDs turn brown? Do they have to change the population census? If submitted later for regrading, would it be knocked down to a 66BN? Would people pay more or less when a red coin turns brown in the holder?

I think most people would pay less because by necessity the coin is worse off. If sent in for regrading, I think it would be like any other regrading. Although I think none of the TPGs have any guarantee on the coin keeping the RD or RB look.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, you want to AT it without feeling morally like you AT'ed it. Sorry.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always try the taco bell sauce. It certainly speeds up the process on silver, no reason to believe it wouldn't do the same for copper. Rgds!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhh....accelerating the brown is the definition of coin doctoring.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 1:39PM

@blitzdude said:
    You could always try the taco bell sauce. It certainly speeds up the process on silver, no reason to believe it wouldn't do the same for copper. Rgds!

Napkin, not sauce. I'd bet the sauce would strip off any color that might appear. Whether the napkin needs to have been used to wipe sauce from your mouth or not is not known.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do anything, it then becomes artificial....if brown is your passion, sell the coin and buy a brown cent. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

If you put it in an environment where you think it will turn brown faster (What about the window sill), that's doctoring? What about if you put it in an environment where you don't think it will turn brown faster but it does anyway, is that doctoring too?

Asking for a friend... ;)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will turn green on the roof.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 8:19AM

Leave it alone and it will turn brown by itself. It might take a little while longer but it will turn. IMO.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If you put it in an environment where you think it will turn brown faster (What about the window sill), that's doctoring? What about if you put it in an environment where you don't think it will turn brown faster but it does anyway, is that doctoring too?

Asking for a friend... ;)

LOL. Most people would say "no". I might say "yes".

Tell your friend I tend to find all the distinctions somewhat arbitrary, which is why I like to point it out.

For example, if I put a coin in an airtight box in a dark room at -100 degrees Celsius, I'm just an archivist. If I put a thin overlayer on the coin, I'm a "doctor".

If I put a thin overlayer on an artifact in a museum, I'm a curator. Do the same thing to a numismatic artifact and I'm a "doctor".

Expose a coin to hydrogen sulfide gas - coin doctor. Put a coin in an album that has acidic paper and high sulfur content - I'm a (bad) archivist.

Find a coin in a canvas bag - MONSTER TONING. Put a coin in a canvas bag - YOU'RE A MONSTER!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file