Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Spots and Market Acceptability

KSorboKSorbo Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Here is one of my more recent acquisitions that I bought in its PCGS AU53 holder. Note the black spot next to the lower right portion of the bust. I often wonder about these types of spots, as I know that they can emerge after slabbing, unlike other types of damage like scratches that I can be sure were there when the coin was slabbed.

My question is, would a spot like this cause a coin to get a details grade upon submission? Or would it even affect the grade at all on a circulated coin like this one? I understand that spots affect eye appeal and that part doesn't bother me. I just want to be sure that, even if the spot had emerged after slabbing, that it would be market acceptable at the assigned grade. BTW I paid about average for the grade at auction, not particularly strong money.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spots such as that are a distraction, and bother some collectors more than others. I believe any attempt at removal would only leave an equally distracting surface beneath the spot... I do not believe that spot would cause a details grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spot closest to Star 12, next the hair curls, is what caught my eye.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Yes, that is the spot I was referring to.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KSorbo said:
    My question is, would a spot like this cause a coin to get a details grade upon submission? Or would it even affect the grade at all on a circulated coin like this one?

No, it would not get a details grade just for that spot. I'm not crazy about spots but many collectors have no problems with them.

Nor will a lone spot like that affect the grade. If there were a great many (or much larger or in prominent places) and eye appeal suffered, then yes. There could be a grade hit.
    Lance.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 10:00AM

Regardless of the grade, it would affect my desire to purchase that coin or any other coin with spots. Eye appeal is number one to me. Not a grade. I don’t buy coins with spots. Or stripes.
    Cept Eagles.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very old coin, and the spot isn’t that bad. If I wanted the coin it would not be a deal breaker.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like an AU55 that was downgraded to AU53 because of the spot.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 1:09PM

The coin once had deep patina. And that spot was probably part of that. Now basically a few scattered spots remain from whatever "help" the coin received over its lifetime.. Unless it's a corrosion spot, it shouldn't get rejected....just adjusted in grade on "eye appeal."

Check out the finest known 1866-s seated quarter, PCGS MS66. It's been the finest known since 1977 when it appeared in the B&R Harold Blauvelt collection....then to Jim Halperin's NERCG fund 1 (77-80), and then to Martin Haber. Coin was dipped out in the 70's. And somewhere in the 90's or later it must have started growing some black spots on the upper obverse from "something"....maybe a delayed reaction from the initial dip? When I owned that coin in 1986 it had no signs of any spots...but was somewhat overly bright. Still graded 66 today despite same pretty obvious large black spots...and not nearly as attractive as it was back in the day. Coin Facts suggests this coin "burst on the scene" in 2008. Sure, 30 years after it first burst upon the scene.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spot where it is is fairly innocuous, and doesn't bother me much. Different story if it were in a prime focal area..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file