On ebay

JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a statement :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taking a stand! ... That's nice.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this managed payment...controlling stance ebay is making blows up in their face!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised some eBay fan-boy hasn't alerted eBay so they can delete this listing. Has a certain forum member seen this thread yet? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks as if the ebay structure and costs may be starting to pinch the sales base.... I have no experience in this area, just watching commentary here and elsewhere..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

Ken
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too > To

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    Taking a stand! ... That's nice.

:)

• Options

Shouldn't have listed his phone number. REPORTED.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

KInd of makes me want to BIN. Pay. And then cancel the transaction. Do you think eBay would side with him?

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I hope this managed payment...controlling stance ebay is making blows up in their face!

You mean like that PayPal debacle that everyone HATED... They are probably still wiping the egg off their face for that.

• Options

I'm going to create a listing selling "We Hate SunCityCoins" stickers. I'm going to make a fortune.

• Options

All kidding aside.
    The seller here is wrong. If he wants to picket against eBay's policies- that's cool, do so. Just don't take it inside. For example, if I don't like the policy of Sun City Coins- like maybe they're offering 10% under melt on generic gold- I could make up a sign and walk on the city (public) side walk back and forth in front of his business protesting such.
    What I can't do is take my protest into the coin shop.
    In essence that is what this seller is doing. He is free to protest on his own website or others- even here I suppose, yet to take it "inside" eBay is wrong.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dear!

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Randy is a member here, maybe he’ll chime in lol

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    Randy is a member here, maybe he’ll chime in lol

At least he's not shy about it!

Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-WE-QUIT-EBAY-Sellin/154025970188?

• Options

I was curious and looked...this is his only listing and only 10 items sold in the last +/- 3 months. Seems he pretty much quit before ebay forcing this.

The thing I wish someone would explain to me...is how ebay can legally do this just like when they forced Paypal on everyone. I know there used to be an argument about restriction of Business Trade. Forcing only 1 payment system does indeed do that. There are many gray areas that seem to flirt with legal or not legal. It's almost the same as an employee vrs. a sub-contactor...when does the line get crossed?

Since there is a delay in receiving your funds, it could be argued ebay is purchasing the item from the ebay seller and selling it to the buyer! This is the nightmare that bankrupted some Amazon vendors as they are able to hold funds up to 90 days. Time for ebay sellers and amazon sellers to band together and fight ebay and Bezos!

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I was curious and looked...this is his only listing and only 10 items sold in the last +/- 3 months. Seems he pretty much quit before ebay forcing this.

The thing I wish someone would explain to me...is how ebay can legally do this just like when they forced Paypal on everyone. I know there used to be an argument about restriction of Business Trade. Forcing only 1 payment system does indeed do that. There are many gray areas that seem to flirt with legal or not legal. It's almost the same as an employee vrs. a sub-contactor...when does the line get crossed?

Since there is a delay in receiving your funds, it could be argued ebay is purchasing the item from the ebay seller and selling it to the buyer! This is the nightmare that bankrupted some Amazon vendors as they are able to hold funds up to 90 days. Time for ebay sellers and amazon sellers to band together and fight ebay and Bezos!

I don't believe eBay ever "forced PayPal on everyone ". The policy was that a seller had to offer at least one form of electronic payment. PayPal just happened to be the overwhelming choice of the user community there.

As to mandating Managed Payments going forward, yep, perfectly legal. Their platform, their rules, essentially.

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

I'll follow the buyers, and adjust my prices accordingly to maintain profitability and competitiveness. If they stay on ebay, so will I.

Nature of business is change. Not everyone adapts.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@amwldcoin said:

I don't believe eBay ever "forced PayPal on everyone ". The policy was that a seller had to offer at least one form of electronic payment. PayPal just happened to be the overwhelming choice of the user community there.

As to mandating Managed Payments going forward, yep, perfectly legal. Their platform, their rules, essentially.

Pretty sure Ebay forced PayPal on us by not allowing payments by check or money order but that is how I remember it and I don't want to get in to a debate about the past. I agree that Ebay can do whatever they want...their business and they just update the user agreement accordingly. You don't like it then don't sell on Ebay. Plain and simple

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSFreddie said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@amwldcoin said:

Pretty sure Ebay forced PayPal on us by not allowing payments by check or money order but that is how I remember it and I don't want to get in to a debate about the past. I agree that Ebay can do whatever they want...their business and they just update the user agreement accordingly. You don't like it then don't sell on Ebay. Plain and simple

Thank you eBay for "forcing" us to use Paypal.

Paypal has made my life soooo much easier and profitable.

Paypal has awesome protections.

Thank you eBay and Paypal for giving me a platform to grow and thrive.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    All kidding aside.
    The seller here is wrong. If he wants to picket against eBay's policies- that's cool, do so. Just don't take it inside. For example, if I don't like the policy of Sun City Coins- like maybe they're offering 10% under melt on generic gold- I could make up a sign and walk on the city (public) side walk back and forth in front of his business protesting such.
    What I can't do is take my protest into the coin shop.
    In essence that is what this seller is doing. He is free to protest on his own website or others- even here I suppose, yet to take it "inside" eBay is wrong.

I Get your point, but eBay is “where small business lives” or whatever they put in their commercials. It’s more of a mall or a flea market, and I think it is the appropriate place to protest, because the eBay business model is inviting people like that in as a safe place to operate. It can be debated what’s an appropriate protest, and I don’t think he went too far, but I do think the venue was OK.
    Unilaterally changing the terms of engagement will always bring strife...it may or may not be their right, but it obviously ruffles feathers.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...that's one way to look at it.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Basically they just made it very difficult. I just recently had a transaction by MO. Luckily he was one of the few ebayers that ebay didn't seem to require immediate payment. The work around I've found for that is to send the buyer an offer for a penny less and then they are able to buy without immediate payment. The funny thing about this latest was it took ebay almost a month to acknowledge payment received! I got a notice he paid yesterday and to ship over 3 weeks after I marked payment as received.

I'm also pretty sure you are not able to advertise you accept checks or money orders.

@PCGSFreddie said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@amwldcoin said:

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

It is NOT one system. It is a payment management system that allows multiple types of payment.

• Options

@PCGSFreddie said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@amwldcoin said:

Yes, they forced PayPal on us. And everyone complained. And now 15 years later, people are afraid they'll lose PayPal. Lol

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody was forced to accept PayPal. What everybody was forced to do was accept an online method of payment. PayPal or your own merchant account, either one was okay. Although not permitted to advertise the fact, eBay still allowed you to accept a check/money order if the buyer requested. That appears to no longer be the case. From eBay's Payment methods policy:

Only payment methods offered at eBay checkout are allowed.

• PayPal
    • PayPal Credit
    • Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account
    • Payment upon pickup. Payment upon pickup must offer one of the approved electronic payment methods.
  • Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@PCGSFreddie said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@amwldcoin said:

Paypal has made my life soooo much easier and profitable.

Paypal has awesome protections.

I'm shocked by the tone of this post.

Before PayPal, I used to have to go to the bank every day with checks and money orders. PITA. PayPal made it easier. Managed payments is no different, if they can sort out the coin restriction

• Options

I understand completely, just as Paypal does! The difference is ebay is controlling your funds, which will be much more heavy handed than Paypal! You will notice it says your funds will usually be available in 2 days. I haven't read the fine print but I suspect it is very close to Amazon's.

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

It is NOT one system. It is a payment management system that allows multiple types of payment.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I understand completely, just as Paypal does! The difference is ebay is controlling your funds, which will be much more heavy handed than Paypal! You will notice it says your funds will usually be available in 2 days. I haven't read the fine print but I suspect it is very close to Amazon's.

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

PayPal used to be Ebay. Not sure why people think this will be so much worse.

I transfer funds weekly. 2 days really doesn't bother me.

• Options

I lost quite a few sales until I realized the work around to allow people to pay me with a check or money order. Everyone knows Paypal sprung out of ebay. It was still a separate entity. It's the principle that bothers me more than the terms. I keep a few grand in my Paypal account just because, so 2 days doesn't matter to me either!

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

PayPal used to be Ebay. Not sure why people think this will be so much worse.

I transfer funds weekly. 2 days really doesn't bother me.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Thank you ebay for eventually forcing me to Managed Payments where I will no longer be able to sell coins or be able to buy from ErrorsOnCoins or other coin sellers because he/they will no longer be able to list coins.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Thank you ebay for eventually forcing me to Managed Payments where I will no longer be able to sell coins or be able to buy from ErrorsOnCoins or other coin sellers because he/they will no longer be able to list coins.

You can ALWAYS buy from ErrorsOnCoins. :)

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 12:50PM

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have almost 600 certified coins on eBay right now.

I sold 1K of coins two days ago.

I will be selling coins on eBay for years to come, for sure.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 12:59PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Note the word "eventually" unless of course you know that ebay will not be eventually forcing everyone to managed payments where coins and currency will not be allowed. Do not for a second believe that Managed Payments will not eventually apply to everyone on ebay. If you haven't noticed, it's their way of eventually being completely free of paypal. Baby steps.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 1:44PM

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Note the word "eventually" unless of course you know that ebay will not be eventually forcing everyone to managed payments where coins and currency will not be allowed. Do not for a second believe that Managed Payments will not eventually apply to everyone on ebay. If you haven't noticed, it's their way of eventually being completely free of paypal. Baby steps.

I do not worry about things.

Most likely I will have to go onto "managed payments" at some time in the future.

I truly believe that at the time, coins will be allowed on eBay thru managed payments.

I do not worry about things.

• Options

Worry is not the same as foreseeing the inevitable and planning ahead. Or you could just wait til it happens and then worry.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 1:19PM

@derryb said:
    Worry is not the same as foreseeing the inevitable and planning ahead. Or you could just wait til it happens and then worry.

How do you plan on the unknown?

Perhaps have a business website, Check.

Perhaps post daily on Instagram, Check.

Perhaps do some social media, Check.

What else, I am open to suggestions on how to grow my business which is what eBay is all about.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

With eBay stock trading at nearly an all-time high, I seriously doubt they'll miss him. :)

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file