Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Trade gold bullion for non-gold coins?

ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got 1 Krugerrand that was passed to me through family, but it’s not an heirloom by any means. It’s my only gold and I’m thinking about trading it for coins I actually collect.
My question is: can I get more value by trading it to a dealer for coins, or would I be better off getting cash for it and then buying coins?
Just looking for general guidance and experience. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell and then buy what you want from who you want.

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

Keep the gold! In the worst of times, that gold content will be worth more than a silver rarity.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put it on BST and ask for a trade or sale. Tell us what you collect. You might get a nice swap.
    Lance.

• Options
    ZwiggyZwiggy Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Back in the good ol days when there were coin shows, I traded a generic gold maple leaf for a MS64 (overgraded, but still nice) Saint and got a 1 oz silver eagle thrown in. I feel if there is no cash involved in the transaction (or you are paying cash), dealers are more willing to give a higher value to the bullion you are trading in. Based on premiums at the time, I got 101% of spot on the gold and would have taken 98% if I sold for cash.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest if you don't want to keep the Krugerrand that you sell it and buy what you like. Others may point to the idea that you receive more "value" in many trades, but if the "value" isn't something you want then you really aren't ahead of the game.

Keep things simple; sell the gold and buy the coin(s).

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to be very vigilant.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easier to just sell your K-rand and use the money to buy what you want. It's rare for what you have for trade has the same exact value of what you want to trade it for without one side or the other having to add some cash to even thing out. It's even more rare that the person who has the coin you want will also want your K-rand rather than a cash sale.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell your gold coin for cash.... Then use your cash to buy the coin(s) you want. Trades can be tricky, and value received is likely to be less than what you could purchase. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep your K-rand and reconsider in 5 years. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file