Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about toning from bags on GSA Morgans?

I am fascinated by the examples of colorful toning, specifically on GSA Morgans. I have a rudimentary understanding of the chemical process but has there been research I could be pointed towards? Also, is the toning likely to be stable in these GSA holders? I imagine they must be stable if they've already been in there 45 years or so?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, and you're not alone in liking colorful Morgans in the GSA series. These coins were stored for 80+ years in vaults. They were stored in their original canvass bags. These bags, and the environment of the vault is what came together to impart the toning. Decades of storage was also a big factor.
    Coins that were next to the canvass were generally the ones that toned. Some toning even shows evidence of the textile canvas itself.
    I do believe that the toning is stable today as the conditions of storage has all changed.
    Not my coin but here's an example of textile toning:

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Quake17Quake17 Posts: 30 ✭✭

Ah, that is textile toning. I've seen that but did not know the term. The crescent shapes are very cool as well, with the coins overlapping. I see the term "Late stage" toning bandied about; does that mean color combinations before it eventually would turn monochrome and finish changing hues?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @AUandAG said.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tarnish will continue if environmental conditions such as temperature, humidity, chemicals are present. The silver needs sulfur/oxygen to combine with in order to continue... temperature and humidity can accelerate the process. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file