Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 Mercury Dime Grade?

I believe I have a nice 1916 Mercury Dime but I’m struggling with the grade ...

and I do believe it has FBs as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2020 5:00PM

The images look very different, but if I had to guess, I’d go with AU details, cleaned (edited to add: or polished).

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaned from the photos. Definitely FB though.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to have been cleaned,,,,no grade.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks polished to me...worse than cleaned :/

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

One set of images makes it look like it might be polished while the other photos are just a mess.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    :/

:)

• Options

I really do not believe it’s been cleaned guys, it’s shiny and has a lot of luster I just tried different ways to photograph it and never could get any

• Options

Sorry for the poor pictures will do better next time

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pics make the coin look grainy. Not sure what I’m looking at.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

The pics are grainy but the coin is def not. In hand it’s shiny and has a luster I’m gonna try not to zoom in as much and see if that helps

• Options

This is about as good as I can do right now

• Options

. Here is another view lol

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell by the pics. Could possibly be whizzed, which would give it a fake luster.

• Options

Oh well I tried to get a good pic but I think it’s perfect and am gonna send it to be graded so I will just take my chances. I bought it from someone I trust.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know how it grades. Hope the best for you.

• Options

Thank you!

• Options

@JaNigro said:
    Oh well I tried to get a good pic but I think it’s perfect and am gonna send it to be graded so I will just take my chances. I bought it from someone I trust.

The cost to get the coin graded it almost certain to be more than the value of the coin, once it receives a grade. There are less expensive ways to get a sight-seen opinion, such as showing it to one or two local dealers.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I believe that the coin is perhaps worth 125-250 with FullBands so I’m gonna chance it. I will send it with some others I have as to cut down on the overhead. But, thank you for the advice I will certainly consider it.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just run it by a local dealer. 1916 Mercs come nice, yours looks altered surfaces.
    Do not confuse shine with luster. Shiny is generally a bad thing in regards to coins unless it is a proof or prooflike. Luster flows around a coin, shine just reflects light.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

I posted one not too long ago that graded 64FB, compare yours to it.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1021496/gtg-16-merc-64fb#latest

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was cleaned or otherwise altered surfaces. The additional photos just drove that point home even more. For a series that isn’t known to produce coins with frosted devices, it’s all but impossible to get a photo to show frosted devices on a coin with natural surfaces. You’ve shown frost in multiple shots.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

I am not sure what you mean by “frosted devices” could someone explain or point me in the right direction ty

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Frosted devices' is the term used to describe the condition of mirrored fields and flat/white indicia...Coin photography can be difficult - as you are experiencing. The members above are giving you their best evaluation based on the pictures....The advice to run it by a local expert or two is a good idea, saves money. Let us know what you do and results.... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@jclovescoins said:
    Looks polished to me...worse than cleaned :/

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between the two? And what "look" do cleaned/polished coins have that can be seen in these pics? It seems like all you knowledgeable people say that it's cleaned.

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options

@JaNigro said:
    I am not sure what you mean by “frosted devices” could someone explain or point me in the right direction ty

With no disrespect - if you aren't familiar with the term "frosted devices" and based on the various images provided, it doesn't appear that you're in a good position to be able to grade and estimate the value of the coin.

• Options
    JaNigroJaNigro Posts: 50
    edited July 30, 2020 6:12AM

Well thank you for the comment I am relatively new, and others Are as well at collecting.

I obtained this coin from a trusted seller and am looking to preserve and keep it in my collection. I will send it in with others as to cut down on overhead but anyway thank you for the advice!

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are doing the right thing by sending it in to be graded. An economy submission is not that much money and it will be considered by probably at least two graders and a finalizer. The quality of opinion is worth something.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be to be a problem coin ... perhaps even a very high quality modern counterfeit that has had the surfaces worked on to make it look more authentic. It's a coin I would decline to purchase if offered to me.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

It has cartwheel luster. I agree that the pictures are a poor quality. In the future I will not post such pics

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is cleaned.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    It appears to be to be a problem coin ... perhaps even a very high quality modern counterfeit that has had the surfaces worked on to make it look more authentic. It's a coin I would decline to purchase if offered to me.

This is not my series, so take this with a grain of salt. When I first saw the images, I thought not genuine and it still looks off to me. I certainly could be wrong. I am also eager to hear what PCGS will have to say about it.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to be certain that the luster is original and complete it to check cartwheel.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of those threads I don't understand. Bad pictures are posted. An opinion is requested. Then all opinions are ignored. Why bother?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sweetwilliet said:

@291fifth said:

This is not my series, so take this with a grain of salt. When I first saw the images, I thought not genuine and it still looks off to me. I certainly could be wrong. I am also eager to hear what PCGS will have to say about it.

My first thought was counterfeit as well. Based on just gut instinct...nothing definitive.
    Best case scenario, polished to death and/or whizzed.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    This is one of those threads I don't understand. Bad pictures are posted. An opinion is requested. Then all opinions are ignored. Why bother?

The only explanation I can come up with is that such threads are seeking (only) positive affirmation.

• Options

I have tried to capture this coin as best as I could, it has cartwheel luster and I’m not discounting anyone’s opinion based on the previous photos. Like I said they were a poor representation. I just know what I know I have it in hand and it’s my fault. I do appreciate everyone’s opinion although I may not take it.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JaNigro said:
    I have tried to capture this coin as best as I could, it has cartwheel luster and I’m not discounting anyone’s opinion based on the previous photos. Like I said they were a poor representation. I just know what I know I have it in hand and it’s my fault. I do appreciate everyone’s opinion although I may not take it.

It looks better in those photos, although I'm still not sure it's worth slabbing

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JaNigro said:

It looks better in those photos, although I'm still not sure it's worth slabbing

I just blew up those photos and the coin looks the same. Confirmation to me that it won't straight grade. FWIW to anyone else.

• Options

Cropped for OP. Looks much better in these pics, appears to have good luster. I can't say anything about grade though.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look, you seem dead set on sending it in to grade so be it, you'll find out soon enough , and you'll learn better I am sure, it is a good experiment if you so desire it.
    These are experienced comments here, fwiw, also you keep stating bought from a trusted seller. Many of us have heard that line too often, so don't take it badly if it is being questioned.

Just at least promise to share the grades and slab pics when you get it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file