Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are there no color designations for CAM proof cents, asking for a friend?

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could anyone forget Stewart Blay's 1938 PR67DCAM Lincoln Cent?

Are they all considered brown?

B)

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

No they are all considered RD. PCGS purportedly will only give a CAM or DCAM if it qualifies for PCGS's red designation. NGC will give color designations with cameo designations. I have seen NGC RB CAM coins and even more rarely, a BN CAM piece.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 4:49PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Goldbully said:

No they are all considered RD. PCGS purportedly will only give a CAM or DCAM if it qualifies for PCGS's red designation. NGC will give color designations with cameo designations. I have seen NGC RB CAM coins and even more rarely, a BN CAM piece.

Thanks cameonut2011, I did not know that about the red designation.

Interesting that NGC gives a color designation.....funny to consider a proof cent designated 'brown' a rarity.

You learn something new on this forum everyday....at least I do. ;)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Goldbully said:

Interesting that NGC gives a color designation.....funny to consider a proof cent designated 'brown' a rarity.

Proof cents designated “brown” aren’t necessarily considered rarities, though “BN” cameos are scarcer than “RD” ones.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 5:51PM

A small (but large) correction to the OP - there are no 1938 dcam cents in the pop report, so the Blay specimen must be a cameo (the one shown is a 67 cameo).

You are correct, I must have a 'D' key trigger finger.

Stewart's coin is a PR67CAM.

I apologize for the error.

Your 1938 is awesome to say the least.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

Looks like a really strong 65.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Goldbully said:

I meant "rarely" only as a term to denote a low frequency not to imply that it is a "rarity" or that there is anything inherently special about them as you read the term to connote. BN CAMEO designations should be given out less frequently logically because it is often difficult to determine whether apparent contrast is really due to cameo on the devices or the toning, and the services should (and do) err on the side of caution.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still.think that Cameonut's 1938 CAM cent should be displayed with Skyman's 1938 CAM Walker.

They would make great bookends.

Then add NorCal Jack's gorgeous 1938 lightly toned proof quarter that surprisingly has frosted obverse devices.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 7:22PM

@SanctionII said:
    I still.think that Cameonut's 1938 CAM cent should be displayed with Skyman's 1938 CAM Walker.

I agree. Also having owned multiple designated examples and having seen many more in person (about half the extant population at both NGC and PCGS), I do not think Skyman's half would look out of place in a DCAM holder.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are beautiful Lincoln cents.....Amazing for the age...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper proof coins dated between 1936 and 1942 are rarely graded above 65, and most are 63 and 64 in BN and RB grades. And the OP posted coin would seem to be deserving of 67+ or 68. I do not see this grading issues with pre 1936 proofs and after 1950 proofs. Seemingly 1936 to 1942 PR coins are downgraded 1-2 points vs. other eras.

Can anyone here explain?

OINK

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Copper proof coins dated between 1936 and 1942 are rarely graded above 65, and most are 63 and 64 in BN and RB grades. And the OP posted coin would seem to be deserving of 67+ or 68. I do not see this grading issues with pre 1936 proofs and after 1950 proofs. Seemingly 1936 to 1942 PR coins are downgraded 1-2 points vs. other eras.

Can anyone here explain?

OINK

How can you tell from the image of a Proof coin that it deserves a 67+ or higher, rather than a 67? That was a rhetorical question, as Proofs can’t be graded with anywhere near such precision, based just upon photos.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file