Home Precious Metals

Question on toned common ASEs

shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a dealer tell me they pay less for toned ASEs. I understand paying less for spotted, not sure I get toned (I guess supply/demand). My question is...what is the "less" you would expect to be offered for toned, $1, $2, other?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Comments

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

One of my local shops pay the same for toned as generic. Right now that is $1.50 less. To be fair - they throw them in the generic silver tray

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

many want them in the original skin. many.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • If it is a nice rainbow toned I would think it is worth 20-50% more, not less. Otherwise, it is basically a bullion coin and should be worth the same. Does the dealer pay less for toned "junk silver"? I'd find another dealer to do business with.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealer probably Buys ASEs at "normal" and "cull" (the culls are weird and can't be grouped and sold as Normal)

Then when sorted, Sells as Normal, Cull, and "Premium Toned", depending on their appearance.

At least, that's how it makes sense to do it, if one places any value on their own time and effort.

Hell, I feel like someone should send Me a toned ASE for the trouble i took to write this post 😉

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've come across many dealers who offer less for toned ASE's. A 10 second dip in Weimans tarnish remover and quick rinse under cold water and that dealer will never know any difference.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local shop closed, but he actually had folks that wanted toned stuff and paid/sold above normal bullion prices.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strangely enough, many people pay premiums (even ridiculous premiums) for tarnished coins. It is environmental damage, but for some reason, the 'pretty colors' seem to obliterate common sense. Cheers, RickO

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before my local BM shop closed up he paid/charged more for nice toner ASEs. Had a couple clients that liked them so he'd hold them for them and/or ask a couple bucks more than the blasters.