Home U.S. Coin Forum

Impressive price realized for this clipped Roosevelt dime

seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 29, 2020 8:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This eBay auction just closed for a beautiful 82% crescent clipped Roosevelt dime with a full date. The seller started the auction at $0.99 and ended up selling their coin for $728.

Auction link

It's worth a minute of your time to click through to see the photos, it really is one of the most impressive examples of this error type that I have seen, and I've seen a lot more than most.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to believe that little scrap got fed into the press !

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was the underbidder, I went nuclear and lost :/

What a crazy cool coin.

Plus a label error :D

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly impressive -

Both the coin and the P.R.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

What a crazy cool coin.

Yes, an 82% clip should weigh more like 0.4g. Certainly not more than 2x a full planchet weight. :D

Collector, occasional seller

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody really wanted it.

@Hydrant said:

Two people really wanted it :)

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• taxbuster1040taxbuster1040 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

It may be rare, and I like errors, but I just don't see the value there.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Hydrant said:

BINGO!

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. I like errors but I just don't like them THAT much. Since you are only paying for 18% of the coin does this one get discounted 82% when it sells again...or is this a less is more situation? ;):D

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I was hoping to snag it for $150! :D Dang.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a neat TV.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crescent moon error

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a '72-D!

Tempus fugit.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    That's a '72-D!

My thought exactly.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@cladking said:
    That's a '72-D!

My thought exactly.

Isn't the D too low for it to be 72-D?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinJP said:

@JBK said:

@cladking said:
    That's a '72-D!

My thought exactly.

They were hand punched into the dies back then. They can be placed differently on different dies.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@coinJP said:

@JBK said:

@cladking said:
    That's a '72-D!

My thought exactly.

They were hand punched into the dies back then. They can be placed differently on different dies.

I did consider that. I tried looking for one with a similiar mintmark position on good old Google but came up short. Anyone have one?

When did the mint stop hand punching mm in the dies? Around 1989?

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

where is the Blakesley Effect ?

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cool!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume that had this error been silver instead of clad it would have sold for a higher price?

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Hydrant said:

That's all it takes.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes one wonder, when is a coin not a coin.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:

Nice to have a full date and IGWT!

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to know the back story.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@GoldenEgg said:

Nice to have a full date and IGWT!

Yes, almost like it was... struck like this on purpose!

Those Trueviews are classic

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2020 8:02PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

What a crazy cool coin.

Glad you went for it!

But since you buy for inventory, can you ever really go "nuclear"? ;)

What would you have sold it for?

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks when/if ever that holder gets dropped, that piece will get dislodged. Very cool item!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

What a crazy cool coin.

Glad you went for it!

But since you buy for inventory, can you ever really go "nuclear"? ;)

What would you have sold it for?

Hard to price such a unique coin as this.

It is perfect. I have not seen another dated (any date) example like it.

Yes, it would have gone into inventory with a markup.

I guess my bid was high wholesale ;)

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why it was holdered backwards.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I wonder why it was holdered backwards.

My thought as well. What a neat error!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That certainly is an interesting piece of coin.....I am amazed that it struck at all, instead of just 'mashing'....seems strange since it really had no stabilization in between the dies. Cheers, RickO

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That certainly is an interesting piece of coin.....I am amazed that it struck at all, instead of just 'mashing'....seems strange since it really had no stabilization in between the dies. Cheers, RickO

That's a very good point. Is it possible that the planchet was scored before it was struck but remained whole, then broke into two pieces from the force of the strike? That would mean there's an 82% "better half" somewhere out there :o

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mothra454 said:

@ricko said:

That's a very good point. Is it possible that the planchet was scored before it was struck but remained whole, then broke into two pieces from the force of the strike? That would mean there's an 82% "better half" somewhere out there :o

I recall reading a theory some time ago that elliptical clips were created like this, but if you look at the populations of elliptical and crescent clips, there are far more of the former than the latter. I guess you could argue that the crescent portion would be more likely to get caught in the sorting process, but the notion always struck me as dubious.

Looking at the TruView shared to the thread, I definitely see some of the "mashing" you refer to. The inside of the clip is quite far out of round, and there is a lot of the copper core showing along the clipped edge, especially on the reverse.

I think what is most impressive about the coin is that it the outside edge was completely against the collar, given how small the planchet was. Had it not rested against the collar, I could see this being called a struck fragment rather than a crescent clip.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq.... Sean, thanks for the additional information... and I do see what you describe with the copper core. Cheers, RickO

• mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@seanq said:

I recall reading a theory some time ago that elliptical clips were created like this, but if you look at the populations of elliptical and crescent clips, there are far more of the former than the latter. I guess you could argue that the crescent portion would be more likely to get caught in the sorting process, but the notion always struck me as dubious.

Looking at the TruView shared to the thread, I definitely see some of the "mashing" you refer to. The inside of the clip is quite far out of round, and there is a lot of the copper core showing along the clipped edge, especially on the reverse.

I think what is most impressive about the coin is that it the outside edge was completely against the collar, given how small the planchet was. Had it not rested against the collar, I could see this being called a struck fragment rather than a crescent clip.

Sean Reynolds

That's a cool theory. I think you're right that it would be much harder for the crescent part to make it through the sorting process and not be simply thrown out. It's also possible that more ellipticals are out there because the bigger portion is more likely to have the date struck onto it (Obv the other portion of this coin wouldn't have a date). Is an elliptical with no date something collectors would save and/or grade?

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file