Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Adams Express Company & Who owns the coin boxes and kegs?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Adams Express Company was founded in Boston in 1839. Originally called Burke and Company, its name was changed to Adams and Company after only two weeks when Alvin Adams agreed to buy out his partner. By 1850, the company had spread throughout the south, southwest, and north. Much additional capital was invested at that time and the company's name was again changed to the Adams Express Company. During the Civil War, the company made a substantial amount of money shipping packages to and from the Union troops. In World War I, the government seized the railroad cars used by the express companies and they lost money. The companies were merged into one large company, the Consolidated Express Company. Adams continued to exist but only as an investment company.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find!

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost wish I could write like that! :)

Ken
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm wonder how many survive today as well.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice read I like

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

What, no deposit! I bet the kegs are cool. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the kegs were like the old nail kegs that hardware stores used to get their nails in....Had several as a kid. They were wood, with a center band and top and bottom bands...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

Here is the possible construction @ricko

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston.... Thanks, if that is the construction, then the old nail kegs were similar, but taller, and not as many bands. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file